• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Budget is around $1100 before tax and I am going to buy from Cabelas. So far the best deal for me seems to be the DPMS RFA3-Recon. Any input or suggestions? My goal is a good range gun, recreational shooter and possibly for hunting. I want as much on the rifle as I can get straight from the store. Guy at the counter recommended a Sig M400 Hunter...don't really like the look of it, but I am open to suggestions.

Here is the DPMS I am looking at:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/assets/images/firearms/RFA3-REC.jpg
    Military Camp

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    For your first, buy smart. Avoid dpms, rra, and bushmaster. You can have LOADS better for the same price. Bravo company and colt are hard to beat.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    That's a nice budget for a really nice AR, but why at Cabela's? I'm sure there are other AR shops that you can get a better deal from other than for a DPMS.

remington79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    usa
    I just picked up a Colt LE6920 with Magpul furniture for $1050. I'd skip on the DPMS, they're not known for quality. If you want a recreational rifle look at a Stag with the plus package. The Colt and the Stag plus package have the 1 in 7 barrel twist that will let you shoot heavier rounds for hunting but will still be able to shoot lighter loads.
    edit: I just looked at the picture of what you were looking at. I can do with out the rails. The rails just add extra weight. The only thing I'm going to mount on the grip is a flashlight and the Magpul fore end lets me do that. I also don't like the open pronged flash hider. I can see that catching on things when you take it hunting. The standard A2 flash hider works good enough.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    For your first, buy smart. Avoid dpms, rra, and bushmaster. You can have LOADS better for the same price. Bravo company and colt are hard to beat.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Listen to this man's advice.

Also, you say you want "as much on it as i can get"....as much what? A bunch of tacticool mall ninja crap? Why waste money on add-ons that you might not find useful? Buy the basic rifle, shoot it (a lot), and then figure out where you want to take it from there.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo

Also, you say you want "as much on it as i can get"....as much what? A bunch of tacticool mall ninja crap? Why waste money on add-ons that you might not find useful? Buy the basic rifle, shoot it (a lot), and then figure out where you want to take it from there.
    +1

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    This is great advice, thank you. Looks like my first choice was a bad idea!! Colt or Rock River Arms it is. I am using Cabelas because I haven't found any other place other than Academy that has a decent amound of AR-15's to choose from.

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    I say as much as I can get relative to knowing what I want to add if I bought a basic rifle. I want accessory rails for a flashlight, forearm grip, bipod, etc, so a forearm with rail space is a must for me, plus I just like they way they look.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    On the walmart website, you can look up the firearm and then change your location (zipcode), on the item page and it will give you a list of locations that may have the item in stock.

I found the one nearest me, does not actually stock the firearm other than the one on the rack. This store does not allow them to maintain the firearms so they all have surface rust. They have to order it in if I want a clean one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Let me just say that your first choice isn't a bad one. Just for about the same money there are better choices. DPMS makes a decent gun but they are a super high output company and being so their guns aren't the highest quality.

It is like comparing a McDonald's burger to one you made at home (if you can cook that is).

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    I just tried doing a search on their site for the colt and nothing came up, matter of fact just searching for ''Colt" didn't yield it either. I tried changing my store and had the same result. I wonder if they are not being sold in the Austin area. I recall seeing rifles at the Wal Mart off of 1604 near 151 in San Antonio when I went to visit my mother. Guess I need to schedule another visit.

On the walmart website, you can look up the firearm and then change your location (zipcode), on the item page and it will give you a list of locations that may have the item in stock.

I found the one nearest me, does not actually stock the firearm other than the one on the rack. This store does not allow them to maintain the firearms so they all have surface rust. They have to order it in if I want a clean one.

Top Bottom