• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I have a 1991 ST1100 that I've owned since new, it's been off the road for several years but I hope to get it back one of these days.

I test rode a ST1300 in Germany when they first came out in 2002, and to be honest I think Honda went in the wrong direction with it. They made it more sporty which detracted from the touring aspects the original was so good at. Rumor was that the 1100 was designed in Germany, which made it so good; but the replacement was a Japanese initiative which is what caused it to lose its "soul." I didn't care for it, and still don't; I'd take a 1100 over one any day of the week!

VFRs have always been great bikes, especially back to the days when they were called Interceptors!
    Had the last generation of GOOD VFR (800FI) before they went to chains (which Honda CANNOT be trusted to get right... ever). It had a flat-crank V4 that sounded like a pumped small-block with the right exhaust. Hell of solid bike.

I spent one weekend chasing Reg Pridmore around the canyons along the Colombia River gorge. He was on a 2000 VFR and I was on a 998S. He also had the wife on the back of the Honda. He laid waste to us all, on every road... ROFL. After over 1000 miles of epic riding, we all had dinner on the last night and got really drunk. :D
    DK Firearms

ekim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    ky
    Had the last generation of GOOD VFR (800FI) before they went to chains (which Honda CANNOT be trusted to get right... ever). It had a flat-crank V4 that sounded like a pumped small-block with the right exhaust. Hell of solid bike.

I spent one weekend chasing Reg Pridmore around the canyons along the Colombia River gorge. He was on a 2000 VFR and I was on a 998S. He also had the wife on the back of the Honda. He laid waste to us all, on every road... ROFL. After over 1000 miles of epic riding, we all had dinner on the last night and got really drunk. :D

Guess there is a big difference between playing a racer and actually being one.

ekim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    ky
    I rode the Tail of the Dragon once and don't know if I would ever try to match the record time for it on any bike.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    Guess there is a big difference between playing a racer and actually being one.
    No doubt! Which is why I spent a lot of time on at race schools on the track. :D
    TrackSchoolDay.jpg

holeshot_PIR_turn_8.jpg

bike.avatar.jpg

THill-1142.jpg

749_Laguna_T6.jpg

One thing I noticed, is that the more track time I had, the slower I ride on the street, and I don't do much street riding any more; when you can crack 180 with impunity, trying to play joe racer on the street at any speed under suicide feels a little silly. :)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No doubt! Which is why I spent a lot of time on at race schools on the track. :D
    View attachment 158136

View attachment 158133

View attachment 158134

View attachment 158135

View attachment 158137

One thing I noticed, is that the more track time I had, the slower I ride on the street, and I don't do much street riding any more; when you can crack 180 with impunity, trying to play joe racer on the street at any speed under suicide feels a little silly. :)

That's why I quit riding and sold all my bikes, I couldn't go slow and I was gonna kill myself.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been riding about 25 years, and lost count of the number of bikes I've owned (sold 3 to make it easier to move here). Right now the remainders are waiting for some now overdue maintenance, and one needs to get rebuilt after being totalled. :/

I've jonesed for one of these since I first saw one in the mid 90's with a velvet rope around it. View attachment 154946

The only thing that was more drop dead gorgeous to me:
    View attachment 154947

I have to put this one back together again....
    View attachment 154948

Although the new Duc V4 is interesting... I'm just not down with the latest stylings.. and if I get another bike soon, it will probably be a V4 Tuono or some version of an H.D. bone shaker.

When people say you shouldn't meet your heros, it's not always about disappointment.. sometimes it's just a case of having "done it"... where do you go from there? :/
    She rocks the F4 well...

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    That's why I quit riding and sold all my bikes, I couldn't go slow and I was gonna kill myself.
    I'm not quite there, yet....

I consider the MV a piece of hand crafted art, so even if it never turns a tire on a road again... I'm going to be hard pressed to part with it, despite how HUGE of a pain in the ass those bikes are off the track.
    mah-1kr-eff-fur.jpg

It would be hard to sell the 1098 too. I'd just gotten divorced and was taking my 4 y.o. son out for the weekend. Hoped a ferry into the city, stopped at a Ducati dealership and saw the new Ducs. It was February and they were making deals I "couldn't refuse" It reminds me of a difficult and pivotal time in my life.. plus.. well.. it's Italian...
    AJ.smiling.jpg

I wish I could find my first Duc, this 998... I've run VIN searches.. and the guy I sold it to in 2005 flipped it a month later and doesn't recall whom he sold it too. So.. I guess.. of any bike.. this is the one I still lust for:
    CRW_5201.JPG

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    You’ve got an organ pipe in your garage? Awesome.

I just have a lowly multistrada. I wanted a 1098 Tricolore but couldn’t afford it back in 07.

I keep my eye open for them occasionally, but don’t think I’ll ever end up with one.

Lowly Multistrada?? Shoot, I'd love to have one, those are fantastic bikes. (and I know you were just kidding) Somehow the TGT riders should organize a ride. I'd love to participate in that.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Lowly Multistrada?? Shoot, I'd love to have one, those are fantastic bikes. (and I know you were just kidding) Somehow the TGT riders should organize a ride. I'd love to participate in that.
    Set up a ride, I'd do it if schedule is free.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom