• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    A few berries, be it blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries. Then a few sips of water or green tea.

Tried the whole pre-workout stuff before. While I did manage to hit some PRs that I have never managed to reach again, I just don't like putting that stuff in my body. /shrug
    Military Camp

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    A few berries, be it blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries. Then a few sips of water or green tea.

Tried the whole pre-workout stuff before. While I did manage to hit some PRs that I have never managed to reach again, I just don't like putting that stuff in my body. /shrug

Try the magic berries.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I've always read that protein is good to take before a workout. I get my pre workout protein from two hard boiled eggs

I don't know who, or why they would tell you that; but protein has nothing to do with energy. It will not increase anything in a pre situation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I don't know who, or why they would tell you that; but protein has nothing to do with energy. It will not increase anything in a pre situation.

^THIS

Protein in the stomach just slows you down during a workout. Its best to take in a small amount of carbs along with a moderate amount of protein after a workout. Carbs give you energy, but not if you eat them right before a workout (they'll slow you down more than protein).

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth

its not for energy, never said anyone told me that. I've read a lot of Jim Staponi's (spelling) stuff. His entire job is to do research on the science behind working out.

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    ^THIS

Protein in the stomach just slows you down during a workout. Its best to take in a small amount of carbs along with a moderate amount of protein after a workout. Carbs give you energy, but not if you eat them right before a workout (they'll slow you down more than protein).

I typically eat steel cut outs and two eggs about an hour or two before my workout.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I typically eat steel cut outs and two eggs about an hour or two before my workout.

Dietary protein should always be preferrable to protein powders, as with powders you run the risk of overdoing it and just passing it all instead of actually having your body use it. Then again, my body builds muscle very easily, so I really don't need it as much. Just gotta make sure what you're eating is right for you. An hour or two before won't affect you as much, but you should definitely get some protein in right after you workout (let your body cool down a bit if you had a high-intensity workout).

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    I usually take a scoop of protein along with an apple before workout. Trying to hit a gram of protein per lb is not easy. I workout better on a light stomach.

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    Dietary protein should always be preferrable to protein powders, as with powders you run the risk of overdoing it and just passing it all instead of actually having your body use it. Then again, my body builds muscle very easily, so I really don't need it as much. Just gotta make sure what you're eating is right for you. An hour or two before won't affect you as much, but you should definitely get some protein in right after you workout (let your body cool down a bit if you had a high-intensity workout).

I have scoop of whey and half a scoop of casein along with creatine and glutamine post workout

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I use a combination of omega shred pills and buzzerk creatine powder. I can feel the buzz and endurance during the workout and I'm barely sore the next day. Good stuff.

-TXG-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    That definitely seems like it'd do more harm than good.

Why the protein powder

I've always read that protein is good to take before a workout. I get my pre workout protein from two hard boiled eggs

Yes, it's never good to work out without some protein in your belly. You may doubt my methods but when I was hardcore, I was only using:

Protein powder
    A multi-vitamin
    Vitamin C
    Fish Oil
    L-Arginine
    ..and a well balanced diet.

Caffeine is great before a workout and for awhile there I substituted instant coffee in my shake with anhydrous caffeine pills on the side.

I put on 35 lbs. of lean muscle in 6 months (165 to 200) and have only had to workout 3-4 times a week 20-30 minutes a day to maintain a physique that the ladies love. All of my friends thought I was on steroids. I used to buy gimmicky pre-workout drinks and casein and all that crap, but honestly - nothing is going to work as well as eating sensibly and having the drive to workout until it feels as if you're going to vomit.

I use a combination of omega shred pills and buzzerk creatine powder. I can feel the buzz and endurance during the workout and I'm barely sore the next day. Good stuff.

-TXG-

Watch out for that creatine. I started using it when it was new and all the rage - I developed high blood pressure in my early twenties. I tried adjusting my diet, I was already excercising - but I couldn't get it to drop. I finally figured out it was the creatine. I'm in my mid-thirties now and in great shape. Please - anyone considering using creatine - I don't care what the studies say - I've been the picture of health for as long as I can remember - I don't even catch colds - DON'T DO IT! I feel pretty in tune with my body and that creatine stuff is poison.

Last edited:

ricecowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    It seems like I've pretty much tried every preworkout supplement out there at one point or another. Problem is that you can get dependent on them. I've also noticed that everyone's different, but usually at some point, you need to cycle off most of the preworkouts for a few weeks because they are not good for you (liver) in the long run. Hence, for the past yr, I've been going with 2-3 tsp of instant coffee in about 4oz of boiling water, then filling the cup with ice to cool. I'll occasionally take a 5hr energy shot for the B vitamins. Yes, it tastes awful, but I know I can take it long term.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I switch every month because I get used to each one and it stops working. Here's what I do when I want to buy some-
    ask the dude behind the counter what is the strongest ones they have.
    Get a sample and work out. If it's good I go and buy it. If it's not I get another sample the next day and try it out.
    i usually don't need to try out more than 2

Top Bottom