• ...and so much more!
  • Do you have a Tourniquet?

• Total voters

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Yep. But it’s worth adding a little useful info when applicable.

What you just said doesn’t change what I said. You just ignored the part about body armor. It’s ok though.

Get an Epi pen and keep it with you. You might shove someone’s life someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And what you just said doesn't change what I said and you conveniently left out all the saves stateside where an IED and body armor had nothing to do with anything. It is ok though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    But Doc, guys who carry tk's know moren u bout what should be carried, cuz they know stuff you don't......or so they insist.
    Yeah let's see, medicine practice by military doctors have not changed one bit since the early 70's........
    I guess if I really cared I could probably find some research where an estimate of lives saved during the Vietnam war using a TQ was done but I don't.

My points have been made already, I am just here for wit and sarcasm now.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    This isn't aimed at any one in particular. Hey, if you love liberty, self-determination, God, and GUNS, then you're welcome in my house. We can disagree on the small sh*t.

We all, myself included, have our perceptual matrices through which we view the world. It's why we have different opinions. I'm trying to break through this one for you. Forgive the smart *ss tone. Maybe you can return the favor and change one of my misconceptions. Maybe I'm wrong about commercial TQs. :) If we can't admit we might be wrong we can't ever learn anything.

Those advocating for store-bought, special-designed, awthentic, , 5% of profits go to wounded warrior project, gen-u-wine, shore-nuff, ACME-brand, city-slicker approved, tactical black, 1000D Cordura, new and improved, Molly strap integrated, as seen on TV tourniquets ("I can tell it's a TQ cuz it sez so right here on the cellophane wrapper") do understand that TQs have been around for hundreds of years, right? I'm sure the root is French... yup, just looked it up - it's French for "turn". Imagine that. They've been used by enterprising warriors ever since the circulatory system's purpose was identified. It's a f*ckin strap and a f*ckin stick (and for the record, you don't necessarily need the f*ckin stick). The physics wasn't invented by CAT. The only thing different/better about the one you claim to carry "at all times" (you dont - I call BS and so does everyone else) is that someone figured out how to charge $20 for it.

Claiming it's "better" is like claiming commercial Ragu spaghetti sauce is better than homemade. It must be the REAL spaghetti sauce, cuz it sez so right there on the label. Nobody did spaghetti sauce right until Ragu. Ragu is purpose-built/designed for spaghetti. All previous sauces are outdated and don't work as well as Ragu. The Army uses Ragu. Everybody should carry cans of Ragu because they're only 20 bucks. Ragu is the modern way to make sauce. Ragu was developed using all the latest technology and materials... All nonsense.

ALL TQs that controlled bleeding throughout history were real, and yours isn't better. All devices used to constrict a limb for purposes of controlling bleeding are real TQs. Yours just said TQ on the label, and you believe it, like Ragu says spaghetti sauce. Do you really believe you identified, purchased and carry the first good, real TQ ever devised? Are you smarter than everyone else who ever made a TQ or just lucky and blessed to have been born after "real" TQs were invented? Have you chosen the right one? Are you sure yours is better?

If I needed a TQ for someone I loved, yes I'd grab a CAT or one of the many other commercially available TQs, were someone immediately handing it to me, assuming I was well-versed with its deployment. Otherwise I'd reject it in favor of my T-shirt, deployment of which I am familiar with. But that fabled Samaritan won't immediately hand it to me, because it'll be "in their go bag" or "in their truck" or "in this backpack somewhere". I'll have a TQ fashioned WAY before they can run back, out of breath, and say, "here it is!". Even if this well-meaning by-stander were to have this TQ in their pocket, I'll have a TQ applied before they can dig it out, unwrap it, uncoil it, identify and manipulate the relevant parts and cause them to interact mechanically. And it will work. And it will be real. And yours won't be better.

Thanks for lettin' me in TX (proud Okie redneck for life).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah let's see, medicine practice by military doctors have not changed one bit since the early 70's........
    I guess if I really cared I could probably find some research where an estimate of lives saved during the Vietnam war using a TQ was done but I don't.

My points have been made already, I am just here for wit and sarcasm now.

Don’t worry, I’ve got PLENTY!

You should have called me on the autocorrect error up there. You missed out on a fine opportunity to show me the what what.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I guess when IEDs become a major issue stateside I EO might start seeing more uses for tourniquets.

And even then, unless everyone is wearing body armor creating a situation where the vast majority of major injuries are to an extremity there may still be very very little use.

It was a very specific situation that lead to the military adopting them, it wasn’t just a natural progression or because their was something new.

But, ask yourself this: When was the last time you were on an actual battlefield? And, how many of the folks posting on this actually take their tourniquets to battlefields?

I can recall only one healthy person dying from an extremity bleed, and that one was way too proximal for a tourniquet to have helped.

leVieux

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    But, ask yourself this: When was the last time you were on an actual battlefield? And, how many of the folks posting on this actually take their tourniquets to battlefields?

I can recall only one healthy person dying from an extremity bleed, and that one was way too proximal for a tourniquet to have helped.

leVieux

2012-2013, AFG. Outside the wire, SOP was CAT pre-positioned on upper arms and upper legs. Didn’t have a choice to take it or not.

Today’s commercial, design specific TQs are a great advancement; they didn’t exist in wide-spread numbers until DoD strarted buying in warehouse quantities. That drove the price down.

For those in the business where the golden hour is an issue, it makes great sense. For those that want to ‘be prepared’ it makes great sense.

And for those that don’t have them, an improvised TQ is readily available. It may not be the *most effective* thing, but chances are if a TQ is needed (and I don’t subscribe to a popular theory that a TQ is the first resort) an improvised TQ will do the job long enough for pro’s to get on scene.

Now, if you’re one of the very few where you exist outside the golden hour, then you might want to consider a commercial TQ and a whole lot more.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It may very well be heretical, but how is it ridiculous?

Because you disagree.

I bet you just shit in a hole when you’re out hunting too! Get yourself a tourniquet and a purpose made field shitter before some ends up dying because you weren’t prepared!

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Because you disagree.

I bet you just shit in a hole when you’re out hunting too! Get yourself a tourniquet and a purpose made field shitter before some ends up dying because you weren’t prepared!

Hey man, you ever have explosive diarrhea because you stopped at Ulsups for a burrito before you went Dove hunting and tell me you would not prefer a purpose built shitter? Amateur.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hey man, you ever have explosive diarrhea because you stopped at Ulsups for a burrito before you went Dove hunting and tell me you would not prefer a purpose built shitter? Amateur.

Bwahahha

I’ve never had an Alsups burrito do me wrong.

In that situation what you need is an anal tourniquet.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Don't have any technically, but do have rope, string, and sticks.
    I DO have Israeli bandages I keep in the cars and at home, along with Quick Clot.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm going to share two stories I don't particularly talk about, but both of them involve a tourniquet. These men helped shape me as a leader in their community.

Meet DT. DT survived an IED and burns over most of his body. That he did so with no major limbs amputated is partially due to an improvised tourniquet consisting of a triangular bandage and a GUA-5.

Meet DG. DG was a great man; despite all the CATs in the world, I had to follow in his footsteps.

There's a lot of people and circumstances in between, those who owe their life to a tourniquet of some sort, and those whom God touched and took home, despite the care given to keep them with us. As I mentioned before, a design-specific commercial tourniquet may be the difference, but don't expect it's the only thing that can make a difference.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    My family has a personal tie to CAT-TQ's

To accentuate what Todd said I'll reshare on of my favorite pictures.

Speaks for itself.

36512_363362690395376_84187812_n.jpg

Attachments

• 36512_363362690395376_84187812_n.jpg
      36512_363362690395376_84187812_n.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 262
    Top Bottom