Patriot Mobile

Who keeps their gun / accessories boxes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I keep all the boxes; shotgun, rifle, and pistol, and put them in a plastic bag, etc. to keep the cardboard ones from drying out. It's good to have them for several reasons that include selling the firearm, sending one somewhere for repair, transporting from one location to another, etc. And as mentioned earlier, if it's an old or valuable gun, the original boxes etc. add value.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    If the box is plain (no manufacturers name or markings) it gets tossed. The others including scopes , etc get thrown in a spacebag or rubbermaid container and they go in the attic.

Hopefully the spacebags keep most of the vermin out.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Keep them. My dad's 63 python box makes it all worth more. I had to send a rifle back to Ruger once, do you know what a pain it was to get a box. I went to my local gun store and had to beg for a box even though they were throwing them away. Ruger sends a label, no box.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Most pay extra or atleast prefer to have boxes with stuff, especially older stuff.

If I get a gun without a box i will find a factory box for that year and model. I guess its both preferences and traditional practices.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    All my new rifles came in cardboard, so those got thrown away. I do keep all of the plastic pistol cases the pistols came in when bought new. Some of them are actually quite nice.

I haven't seen a pistol in a cardboard box in decades.
    S&W still uses cardboard.

Just sayin.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Depends, but I'm not the 'hoarder' type...nor do I concern myself with collector-itis or resale value.

Why not?

I don't sell - I've given away, but sell, nah, too much bother.

txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    i keep everything that comes with it...even those useless locks...was bummed when i got a s&w shield recently and it just came in a box...my last s&w m&p came in a really nice, large sized hard case.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'll bet it's been at least twenty years since I bought a new pistol that came in a cardboard box.
    It was odd to me too. I've only bought glocks and a couple Springfield 1911s since my last S&W auto in the early 90s and they all cane in plastic. All the guns at shows seem to come in plastic.

Useless things that make you go hmmm.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I keep the plastic ones in case I want to sell it (not that it happens very often). You can command a higher price with the original cases.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I keep every box. I was confounded by the Les Baer 1911 that received as a gift. It came in a non descript cardboard box. But it had congratulations inside hand signed by everyone that worked on assembling and testing it.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    When I ran out of closet space, I started getting rid of the cardboard boxes. I still have the one for my Kel-Tec Sub 9 - the original, mostly metal, model - but the rest are the plastic cases with paperwork and accessories. The original Springfield Armory XD series with the holster, mag carrier, loader, etc, in the case makes it easy to keep it together.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Yep... Keep them all. I think I have a S&W Model 66 box from probably the 70's still.... If it came in a box, I have the box... Always adds value especially for older firearms.....
    Just the old boxes alone are worth big bucks in some instances. I've seen those older blue S&W boxes sell for big money at an auction; Colt boxes sold likewise.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I keep the boxes for a while in case I have to send one back to the factory for warranty repairs. So far, I haven't needed them. I just never seem to get around to tossing the boxes out. i will probably hang on to the foam lined, plastic cases that some firearms come in.

Top Bottom