Who keeps their gun / accessories boxes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Generally, I will not keep the containers that the firearms come in. if I suspect I’m going to be selling one in the future, I will keep the box.
    I don’t really have any collector firearms that came with a box.
    Military Camp

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    All my new rifles came in cardboard, so those got thrown away. I do keep all of the plastic pistol cases the pistols came in when bought new. Some of them are actually quite nice.

I haven't seen a pistol in a cardboard box in decades.

My Les Baer was sold in a cardboard box, which I kept, by the way.

ETA: I see that I was Ninja'd.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    Every single one, plus I have bought boxes off of ebay to match pistols I got without a box, and I once got 4 empty rifle boxes from Ruger when I bought a collection of Ruger .22 rifles without boxes.

I believe a box enhances the value, albeit in a minor way, maybe not in actual dollars, but in salability.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I would add ... IF i had some sort of collectors gun like the Les Baer mentioned or some old school Colt Revolver I'd keep the cardboard box. Its nothing i got to worry about until i have lotto $$$$

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    I would add ... IF i had some sort of collectors gun like the Les Baer mentioned or some old school Colt Revolver I'd keep the cardboard box. Its nothing i got to worry about until i have lotto $$$$

If I got LOTTO money, I wouldn't give a rat's wazoo about resale value, I'd buy unfired 100 year old pieces and take em to the range, just because I can!

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I keep every box. I was confounded by the Les Baer 1911 that received as a gift. It came in a non descript cardboard box. But it had congratulations inside hand signed by everyone that worked on assembling and testing it.

I do too, but the Bren Tens came with a generic POS box, which is why I threw mine away. I could not envision a possibility of it enhancing the worth of my Brens. Boy was I way off the mark on that one.

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I suspect that this generation of weapons is the first to come in molded cases. The styrofoam of the past is not as interesting.

1608427500589.jpeg

I suspect that the ammo crate type shipping crate that the STG-44 .22lr came in will be worth as much as the rifle.

I would love to have a Mosin shipping crate

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I thank all of you who throw out cardboard for guns they buy. Especially the so called non collectors guns. Lol, makes my boxes worth much more. Its usually non collector guns that turn out to go up in value years later. Along with their boxes. Remember you are not going to live forever, do you family a favor and keep the boxes and ball park values so your "buddy " doesn't help your survivor's out of your guns at pawnshop prices

Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    I keep boxes for weapons, knives, TVs, computers, etc but most weapons that I have were never in cardboard boxes when I got them. My Glocks are all in their plastic boxes or in a holster on me or near me.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The line is drawn where I run out of space. I still have boxes from the 60's. One is the box for a Ruger Single Six with on the back is penciled how the deal was figured. It shows I paid ~$76.

Pay you $152 for the Ruger, you can double your money. ;)

Totino

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    North Dallas
    I would say I typically keep boxes for two reasons:
    1) Resale
    2) I love collecting stuff, which can actually be a bad habit in some cases.

If you don't have a lot of room, then I would definitely chuck it.

lobo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Texas
    I have acquired the "affliction" of becoming a bit of a Colt collector, which has made me extremely aware of gun box and contents values. It gets kinda crazy! So I hang on to everything now, doesn't matter what brand or ag

Gotta Love Them Boxers!! Dog and guns that is!

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    The line is drawn where I run out of space. I still have boxes from the 60's. One is the box for a Ruger Single Six with on the back is penciled how the deal was figured. It shows I paid ~$76.
    Pay you $152 for the Ruger, you can double your money. ;)

Better yet - triple your money. I'll give you $228 for the Ruger, including box! Okay?!?!

Top Bottom