Patriot Mobile

Why do some police issue AR15's have yellow accented furniture on them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I've searched, but could not find answers. Skip to the bold font part and read from there if you don't want the story

One day, I was closing at my old job. When we were all done, I was the first to clock out and headed to the front of the store and looked out the window to see if my car was still in the parking lot (coworker had his car jacked a few days earlier while at work).

My focus is far out to the back of the parking lot, then i focus back in closer and notice the LEO's giving me the famous finger motion that tells me to come closer. I give them the sing index finger, meaning "Hold on, i'll brb", and call my manager.

Turns out that the security company called asking for the code (they always call after 11:00 PM) and our new manager decided to play it safe and assume that they were thieves, so he didn't give them the code and they called the cops.

Anyways, the SLPD LEO's came in with their issued AR15's, and I noticed that their AR's had yellow accented furniture and sights.The EOTech had a yellow cover on it, and there were various other bright yellow parts on there that I can not remember.

What is up with the yellow? I'm assuming it's to differentiate that it belongs to that police department, but then i'm sure there are less eye catching ways to do that?

Anyone have any info on this?
    Gun Zone Deals

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    did they look liek this?

Dewalt-16-Side.jpg

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Some LEO firearms are marked with wacky colors to indicate they are used only for less-than-lethal rounds, though I can't imagine an AR-15 being used for this.

I wonder why they felt the need to step up to carrying AR-15s in that situation.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I wonder why they felt the need to step up to carrying AR-15s in that situation.

Because they are available. If there is a call of a possible burglary you take your rifle. When a rifle is available you always take it when possible. The handgun is for immediate and unexpected use.

Example; domestic violence call with no reported weapons used. No rifle

Domestic violence call with shots fired; rifle goes in

After the fact burglary report call; no rifle

Burglary in progress- take rifle

Suspicious person/person refusing to leave business- no rifle

Armed person refusing to leave- take rifle

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Makes sense to me.

At any rate, a call down to the SLPD armory will probably give you all the answers you want. If you find out please let us know; I'm pretty curious about this.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Because they are available. If there is a call of a possible burglary you take your rifle. When a rifle is available you always take it when possible. The handgun is for immediate and unexpected use.

Example; domestic violence call with no reported weapons used. No rifle

Domestic violence call with shots fired; rifle goes in

After the fact burglary report call; no rifle

Burglary in progress- take rifle

Suspicious person/person refusing to leave business- no rifle

Armed person refusing to leave- take rifle

And a rifle honestly makes a lot more sense than a shotgun. I'm hoping that departments get smart, issue ARs and lose their shotguns completely.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Could be relating to an incident a while back where a SWAT team was called out, and one of their officers left a weapon on the ground. It was found the next day by a passing civilian.

Might make them easier to find in the grass, floorboard, etc.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Could be relating to an incident a while back where a SWAT team was called out, and one of their officers left a weapon on the ground. It was found the next day by a passing civilian.

Bingo!........a winner. So they can be found easier when (if?) lost. Just kidding.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea

That seriously happened? I could understand missing a magazine but an entire weapon?

Bingo!........a winner. So they can be found easier when (if?) lost. Just kidding.

Hahaha what's to help the hunter who misplaces his camoed rifle in the leaves? Maybe one of those beeping key finders perhaps?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You would be amazed how many machine guns, sniper rifles and assault shotguns are stolen out of unlocked police cars.
    Just walk up, try the door, if it opens hit the trunk release and walk away with a weapon in it's discrete case and might as well grab the tac bag with armor!

Top Bottom