Texas SOT

Why I sleep with an AK under my bed.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was using an IPad last week and the one thing I noticed was that it's auto correct was amazing. So amazing, you could use one with a rather cursory knowledge of the English language, and I am sure other languages at that. It got me wondering what that sort of technology does to people. The old auto correct wasn't so "auto" and would just point out your errors, some even gave you suggestions. Ideally, that way would help one learn from their mistakes, right? But the way it is today there isn't even a chance of it happening.

With all the spell check in most word processing programs, I guess learning spelling is no longer an option for kids today. Although some of the words Bill O'Reilly puts out at the end of his show gives the spell checker I have fits of WTFism.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I was using an IPad last week and the one thing I noticed was that it's auto correct was amazing. So amazing, you could use one with a rather cursory knowledge of the English language, and I am sure other languages at that. It got me wondering what that sort of technology does to people. The old auto correct wasn't so "auto" and would just point out your errors, some even gave you suggestions. Ideally, that way would help one learn from their mistakes, right? But the way it is today there isn't even a chance of it happening.
    Yea, I hate the "predictive" word correction, but if you turn it off then it does not spell check at all.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    They have been threatening this since the 60's and we have yet to see any sort of action on a large scale like this. It does make me wonder why that is though. Is it just simply a logistics factor or deep down they know they will be met with force or what??
    Honestly, there are many states and cities with generally unarmed citizens, where I would think it would be a cakewalk.

Probably because you have 2 sets of people that make these things happen.

The first is the people who are upset over a perceived wronging out to protest. They establish the location and are doing this in their communities. While I think they are overreacting in a lot of instances, I don't find them to be the evil people.

The second is the group of people who want an excuse to loot and riot. They weren't involved in organizing the protest and in a lot of cases probably don't give a shit about it. Some of them may be legitimately upset about the issue, but for the most part they are just looking to cause trouble.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was told by my step-daughter back when she was in school, after I had looked at some of her work & commented, that teachers did not care about spelling.

Don't know if this was actually true or not, but it sure sounds like it.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    They don't teach cursive anymore. Why do they need to spell correctly. Next they won't teach any mathematics or history. They have calculators and google on smartphones. They'll have classes on how to milk the system and best ways to earn welfare.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hell, I was told to stop writing cursive in school because it was hard to read. Probably about a year after a learned it.

Now I write in a mix of print and cursive and probably couldn't write out the entire alphabet in cursive.

I can read it fine though.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

You gotta admit they can be good for a laugh.

The 35 Funniest AutoCorrect Fails of All Time

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I like cursive but I do agree it isn't required. I remember having to write entire research papers in cursive.

I like it also, it's a lot faster. Which is why I still mix it in with my print.

I think it's a good thing to know, how else do you sign something?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I only use cursive to fill out damaged or stolen merchandise tags at work, just for the hell of it. Can't write it faster than regular print because I try to make it look fancy.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like it also, it's a lot faster. Which is why I still mix it in with my print.

I think it's a good thing to know, how else do you sign something?

They'll sign it like this:

183626.jpg

Top Bottom