• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    A cop once pulled me over and lied to me about me having a warrant.

Yeah, and I lied to a burglar about having K9 once too. My partner was doing the barking and I was in no mood for a foot chase.

The two most dangerous places in today's world:
    1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone
    Capitol Armory ad

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Did I ever tell the story about how a Chevrolet dealer screwed a company I did part-time work for out of almost $7,000? Or the A/C tech that cheated my elderly neighbor out of $4500? Heck, I know a minister that cheated on his taxes.

Darn mechanics, plumbers, A/C repair guys, religious leaders....... all crooks until they prove otherwise.

See how stupid that sounds? This forum is full of folks that use a wide brush. I've threatened to go away before but I seriously don't care to be a part of this place any longer.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    Did I ever tell the story about how a Chevrolet dealer screwed a company I did part-time work for out of almost $7,000? Or the A/C tech that cheated my elderly neighbor out of $4500? Heck, I know a minister that cheated on his taxes.

Darn mechanics, plumbers, A/C repair guys, religious leaders....... all crooks until they prove otherwise.

See how stupid that sounds? This forum is full of folks that use a wide brush. I've threatened to go away before but I seriously don't care to be a part of this place any longer.

I don't think anyone said all cops are bad.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas

And you are using a wide brush on The folks on this forum. I'm sorry the beliefs of some have pushed you away. But not everybody on this forum has a negative view of LE. There are so many other topics on here. Don't let one point of view in a few threads drive you away.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    AH ... good points.

We are a group of folks who have a couple common interests ... guns and living in Texas.

Personally, if I had complete trust in LE, AC techs, ministers and mechanics I wouldn't carry a weapon myself, learn how an AC system works and research prices, read the bible and do my own auto related work.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Your average leo is a good guy doing his job. You have bad apples in every profession. The ones who do a good job in any profession make it look bad for the rest.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Your average leo is a good guy doing his job. You have bad apples in every profession. The ones who do a good job in any profession make it look bad for the rest.

Sitting in my car on the side of the road at midnight, how does one distinguish the good ones from the bad ones? Wait and see? Pray the law of averages is on my side?

I see both sides of this view.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Sitting in my car on the side of the road at midnight, how does one distinguish the good ones from the bad ones? Wait and see? Pray the law of averages is on my side?

I see both sides of this view.
    I agree with what you said. I haven't had a bad experience with le,they have always been courteous and professional.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I agree with what you said. I haven't had a bad experience with le,they have always been courteous and professional.

My experience as well.

But the thread title is "why distrust LE" and I believe that a good, healthy questioning attitude about how our LE conduct themselves is prudent.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Yeah, and I lied to a burglar about having K9 once too. My partner was doing the barking and I was in no mood for a foot chase.

Where the heck is YouTube when you need it? This is a video I would have liked to seen.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

219ubn6.gif

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    [video=youtube;f0_tr1LgJxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_tr1LgJxE&feature=share&list=UUh_pjHONrn hzFbPv1Sg5EnA[/video]

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably the most absurd assessment of the law enforcement profession i have heard in recent memory. But we all can have an opinion (and a YouTube video) I guess.

People are too focused on the hardware. In reality those that think like this guy in the video sound exactly like liberals. They are afraid of things that LOOK scary. "Police shouldn't have this tool or that tool because they MIGHT abuse it and use it for evil. After all what do they NEED them for?" train of thought.

Sounds like something straight out of the "Regular people shouldn't have guns because they look scary and they might use them for evil purposes. After all, what do they NEED them for?"

These folks should stop worrying about the hardware and worry about the software. The mind of the cop and how he or she is trained. That is where the focus should be.

You should be able to purchase any gun you want and a tank or helo if you can afford it, body armor if you can afford it, APC if you can afford it, and police shouldn't be?

I will make the same prediction I have made many times before. If all of these anti cop folk that hate the police having tools that put them on a even playing field (or at an advantage) with criminals, had their families trapped in a school, mall, Luby's or any other public place when an active shooter or terrorist incident was going on, and those tools were being used to rescue THEIR kids, wives, grandkids, we would hear zero complaints about the police having them.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Probably the most absurd assessment of the law enforcement profession i have heard in recent memory. But we all can have an opinion (and a YouTube video) I guess.

People are too focused on the hardware. In reality those that think like this guy in the video sound exactly like liberals. They are afraid of things that LOOK scary. "Police shouldn't have this tool or that tool because they MIGHT abuse it and use it for evil. After all what do they NEED them for?"

Sounds like something straight out of the "Regular people shouldn't have guns because they look scary and they might use them for evil purposes. After all, what do they NEED them for?"

These folks should stop worrying about the hardware and worry about the software. The mind of the cop and how heor she is trained. That is where the focus should be.

You should be able to purchase any gun you want and a tank or helo if you can afford it, body armor if you can afford it, APC if you can afford it, and police shouldn't be?

I will make the same prediction I have made many times before. If all of these anti cop folk that hate the police having tools that put them on a even playing field (or at an advantage) with criminals, had their families trapped in a school, mall, Luby's or any other public place when an active shooter or terrorist incident was going on, and those tools were being used to rescue THEIR kids, wives, grandkids, we would hear zero complaints about the police having them.

Agreed.

I never intended for my question to turn into this type of garbage. I merely was perturbed that the officers weren't facing the same consequences that average Joe would.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I never intended for my question to turn into this type of garbage.

No one does. Its a polarizing subject and difficult to contain emotion.
    But its a subject that needs airing as long as it can be discussed like common-cause people.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow, I know a Texan2 post without evening reading the username.

I should really try to get to know some local LEOs. I'm sure they are a mixed bag like in any profession. I know each department or agency is unique.

I think my major concern with LEOs and more importantly LEAs is:

- Militarized vehicles. (Equipment: we've been over this, so I'll stop here)

- Excessive layers of departments/agencies (Polticial: especially the increase in creating law enforcement arms for our alphabet soup bureaucracy, eventually the local library fine enforcement officer will be armed)

- Us vs them mentality. This could be driven by the "street" but often seems to come from the top. (Training and doctrine: cops are not soldiers, they are civilians serving their communities, or that's how it should be. Also, cops are forced into defensive police work as their administration often doesn't stand behind them)

- Increased data collection and surveillance (Equipment and doctrine: of course a cop should be able to run a plate, should the agency be able to store that data, track cars, monitor people without warrants?)

- I know that unfortunately some accidental shootings will happen, or excessive force will be used or the wrong door will be kicked in, but it is either happening a lot more, or we are hearing about it a lot more. (Equipment, training, doctrine, administration)

- Finally, I feel that the reason why police are put in such a lousy position and receive so much criticism and sometimes act too aggressively/excessively is two fold, families and communities which were once great stabilizing factors have been eroded and the criminal justice system in this country is deeply flawed. I know people will point to the corners of the Earth and point out all the kangaroo courts and corruption and that is valid, but we are talking about the US and we are supposed to lead the way. Police are working in communities that are not true communities where people know and care about each other, they are dealing with tons of drug addicted people with little to no family support and they are operating a system where many criminals are repeat offenders.

That is all and I think it's pretty damned civil! :) Hugs not drugs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom