• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    They were actually the grips from a Sig Gold Texas edition 1911 that were given to me by a friend that didn’t like them. They were awesome grips, just enough texture to grip my calloused hands, but smooth enough not to tear up the skin on my hip. Sig doesn’t sell them seperately, and I’m not buying a $1,700 1911 to take the grips off.

Sounds like you need a new holster with a sweat shield....
    Target Sports

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    If you want a competition only shooter that you can get for a decent price the Canik TP SFX is where it's at... It's a competition ready gun for around the 500 mark (sometimes can be found for as little as 450.) A lot of competition shooters have picked them up because of the price. Again, it's a COMPETITION gun. It's literally built to shoot competitively.

What you'll have to do to most other striker fire (and even the 1911s) to get them in line with that canik will cost you an arm and a leg.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    Can't go wrong with a G45 but I didn't care for the Shield 9mm. ...
    My Mrs. can't work the slide on my 1.0 9mm shield, and frankly I have a difficult time with it as well.. :/ My SO did her LTC class with a VP9SK, and she really likes it.. shoots very easy.. has a superior trigger to every Glock I've had the misfortune to own or borrow... (including Gen 5s IMHO).

For pistol competition, I think the heavier the gun the better, since this is not really a carry gun the weight becomes and advantage, IMHO. A CZ75 full or compact would be something for her to check out, unless she's hell-bend on striker fired tupperware guns.

viking_in_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Thanks everybody, a lot of excellent feedback here!
    We did check out Academy sports, found the Walther PPQ M2, and that was also a contender. They didn't have many Caniks, but the suggestion about the competition TP SFX may be worth looking into.

The quest goes on :-)
    They say ShootSmart is a good place to try many things, and we will be heading up to the Grand Prarie one this weekend

viking_in_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Look into the CZ75's single action models. They feel good in the hand & lots of people use them in matches.

I like the CZ-75, but it will have to be something special for her; single action trigger is probably better; better serrations for gripping. I've found the small slide a nuisance on CZ. I also don't know if grip inserts are interchangeable

Last edited:

viking_in_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    I am a 1911 guy. Have been for over fifty years. I have a large collection of 1911s to prove it.
    Recently I have become a fan of some of the CZ products.
    The CZ 75 P-01, the P-05, and the P-10c. The P-10c is a Glock clone with much better grip ergonomics.
    Another important factor to me as I get older, the CZs are much easier to clean. It takes me about 10 minutes to clean one of my CZs. It takes me over 30 minutes to clean one of my 1911s correctly.

What your wife needs to do is go to a local gun store and fondle a few pistols she might like. Then go to a range where you can rent a model she likes. The cost is far cheaper than buying something first.
    Trust me on this. I can't guess how much money I wasted trying to find something my wife and my daughter would like and be able to shoot well. My daughter ended up liking one of my full size stainless 45 ACP Springfield 1911s. My wife ended up liking my P-01 in 9mm. It was a win-win for everyone.

Fondle and test shoot is a definite... I merely try to whittle down the list to a manageable size. I'd consider spending if that increases happiness, too

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Let me know if you or your wife wanna give the PPQ M1 a whirl. I'm in North Irving/Carrollton.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just F.Y.I. If y'all come out to the meet in April, 90.9999% of everything that was mentioned, or recommended here, will most likely be available for evaluation. Barring any freak acts of nature, uncooperative wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends or bosses.

Last edited:

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I have been looking at the SIG P365 for my wife. Did I just kill the thread? I know there have been failures, but thought they were worked through now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    Have not held one, but considered getting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    No need to worry about Caniks, they are good to go. Anyone to tell you otherwise is scared of new guns, hate anything made outside of the states, or simply biased for no good reason at all. If someone comes on here to say they had an issue with theirs and that all are bad they don’t understand that glocks have lemons.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    She is interested in simple competitions, IDPA and the like. A little weight would help with recoil, regular length barrel would be cool too.
    She's left handed, have small hands, and not a lot of hand strength.
    It will not be used for concealed carry.
    We tried the H&K VP9, which had a smallish grip, and ambi controls. Expensive.
    The Canik TP9 was reasonable on the grip size, I worry about the rest of it, though.

G17 was not an immediate favorite, the gen5 has ambi controls, so it's a bit more expensive too.

Suggestions?
    Where are you located? Go to a place that rents pistols. Try several out. Let her pick. Most pistols can tweak sights, triggers, and barrels.

Top Bottom