Wife wants a shotgun

TX69

TGT Addict
Dec 23, 2012
DFW
Recently my wife has expressed an interest in owning her own HD shotgun. The only experience she has unfortunately are the shotguns I have. She has shot two of them that are 12ga one semi one pump. She is a petite woman at just 5'2" and under 130lbs. She is not afraid of large calibers firearms as she shoots her own XD45 and my 30 caliber rifles with ease.

I am thinkng about getting her one for Xmas/Bday I will most likely purchase a better set of stock/forend and sights if needed and smith those myself.

What would be a decent HD shotgun for her?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
What, in general terms, has she said she wants? If she's expressed an interest, I assume she made some reference to something she's previously experienced.

Of course, I could be totally off-base, too.

reddog

Jul 19, 2013
My wife is 4'11" so I know where you are at. Bought her a Rem 870 20 ga magnum express and chopped the stock, really made it "her" gun, I'm eating my fist if I try and shoot it. For HD a 20 is plenty if you are hitting what you are aiming at, and I figure she'll practice more with it than if it was a 12, even though like your wife, she handles large calibers just fine. I went with a pump instead of an auto because I didn't want to be worried if it would work with light to heavy loads with out changing something. So there's my 2 cents...

Ricklovesbacon

TGT Addict
Feb 2, 2013
Austin
My wife is in the market for a shotgun as well. But she has already made up her mind. She wants the mossberg 930. The only issue is they are hard to find.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

robertc1024

Staff member
TGT Supporter
Jan 22, 2013
San Marcos
My wife is 4'11" so I know where you are at. Bought her a Rem 870 20 ga magnum express and chopped the stock, really made it "her" gun, I'm eating my fist if I try and shoot it. For HD a 20 is plenty if you are hitting what you are aiming at, and I figure she'll practice more with it than if it was a 12, even though like your wife, she handles large calibers just fine. I went with a pump instead of an auto because I didn't want to be worried if it would work with light to heavy loads with out changing something. So there's my 2 cents...
I'd put my two cents in, on top of his. I would think the BG would recoil at the sound of a pump gun being racked.

itchin

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 15, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
I myself keep a youth bantam 20 guage bed side. I have other 12 guage shotguns but the youth 20 guage is perfect. Sorry I cannot spell gauge or guage . Whatever.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
Recently my wife has expressed an interest in owning her own HD shotgun. The only experience she has unfortunately are the shotguns I have. She has shot two of them that are 12ga one semi one pump. She is a petite woman at just 5'2" and under 130lbs. She is not afraid of large calibers firearms as she shoots her own XD45 and my 30 caliber rifles with ease.

I am thinkng about getting her one for Xmas/Bday I will most likely purchase a better set of stock/forend and sights if needed and smith those myself.

What would be a decent HD shotgun for her?
AR15.

#broken record

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man