• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I have an older 20ga Mossy 500 pump, "camper" (short barrel/pistol grip) - and I love it (she doesn't care for it - wanted a shoulder stock)

my Wife wanted a 12ga semi and found a very inexpensive TriStar Raptor Tactical at WMT - and she loves it (I've shot it too - nice)

both sit "nightstand duty"

and my Wife isn't a BIG woman

my thought on expensive/inexpensive shotguns....If they're simply going to be used for HD and shot only to keep current with it (and, hopefully, not used in anger) then there's no need for a big-bucks gun - ya only need something that will "work" when called upon

TriStarRaptor12gaTactical_zps5ce69da5.jpg
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    We have standardized out shotguns on the 20 GA as well, and Mossberg 500s serve us fine. Hers has an 18" cylinder barrel with rifle sights and mine has an 18" barrel with a large white bead front sight.

My (edible) game gun has two gold beads and a 24" accu-choke barrel.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    How much "recoil" do Low-recoil shotgun rounds take out of the shoulder? I am having a lot of trouble finding a shotgun in 20ga that she likes so we might need to stay with a 12. If so, I will need ways to lessen the recoil of the 12 by using a better stock, recoil pad, stock/grip combo for control, and low recoil rounds. It will also help keep our calibers in check and not add yet another one.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How much "recoil" do Low-recoil shotgun rounds take out of the shoulder? I am having a lot of trouble finding a shotgun in 20ga that she likes so we might need to stay with a 12. If so, I will need ways to lessen the recoil of the 12 by using a better stock, recoil pad, stock/grip combo for control, and low recoil rounds. It will also help keep our calibers in check and not add yet another one.
    Low recoil rounds do significantly reduce the recoil. It isnt hype. How much? I don't know but they do take the edge off.

Last edited:

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    For home defense. I have a Remington 870 Synthetic 12 gauge with a Mesa Tactical Telescoping Recoil Stock Kit and a LimbSaver recoil pad.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Shooting slugs or shot, the recoil is like a .22 rifle. And with the 870 having the pistol grip due to the stock kit, the safety is very easy to get to that's right behind the trigger. The safety for the Mossberg 500 is on top of the receiver. You would need to reach up to engage or disengage the safety with a pistol grip stock.
    I don't have a place to openly shoot but if you would like to look at it, we could meet up somewhere since you're in DFW.
    [/FONT]

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For home defense. I have a Remington 870 Synthetic 12 gauge with a Mesa Tactical Telescoping Recoil Stock Kit and a LimbSaver recoil pad.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Shooting slugs or shot, the recoil is like a .22 rifle. And with the 870 having the pistol grip due to the stock kit, the safety is very easy to get to that's right behind the trigger. The safety for the Mossberg 500 is on top of the receiver. You would need to reach up to engage or disengage the safety with a pistol grip stock.
    I don't have a place to openly shoot but if you would like to look at it, we could meet up somewhere since you're in DFW.
    [/FONT]
    That Mesa recoil reducer looks legit. Ive never heard any complaints about it unlike the Blackhawk attempt.

Phoneguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    I had the distinct pleasure of shooting an 870 (different tactical model) with the same stock/pad setup a couple of years ago. You could shoot all day and your shoulder wouldn't know it. That day I put that weapon system on my top 5 list of wants. The stock/pad costs almost the same price from the manufacturers as the shotgun does. But if you search the internet, you'll find the stock for $250 and the recoil pad for $35. Men, women, and children have no problem shooting this setup. People scoff when I tell them the price of the stock/pad and that it has very little recoil. "Bullshit, it's a 12 gauge", they say. That is until they shoot it. Then they understand why the stock and recoil pad costs as much as they do.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    For home defense. I have a Remington 870 Synthetic 12 gauge with a Mesa Tactical Telescoping Recoil Stock Kit and a LimbSaver recoil pad. Shooting slugs or shot, the recoil is like a .22 rifle. And with the 870 having the pistol grip due to the stock kit, the safety is very easy to get to that's right behind the trigger. The safety for the Mossberg 500 is on top of the receiver. You would need to reach up to engage or disengage the safety with a pistol grip stock.

Really appreciate this post and the offer. I usually avoid Mesa since their products are so expensive but the hydraulic buffer caught my attention. Adding that to a 12ga shotgun and then suing a Magpul stock that she is used to might be the answer to keep her with the 12ga caliber. Then adding a LimbSaver should really soften th epunch and hopefully have her wanting to shoot more.

http://mesatactical.com/products/enidine-shot-stock-hydraulic-buffer-mil-spec/

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    20141227_132631.gif

20141227_132639.gif

Recently installed the Mesa Tactical kit on my M4 the limb saver made a big difference over the Oem stock.

Especially when shooting slugs.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TX69,

Fwiw, my niece (who is 61" tall & 103 pounds dripping wet) shoots a 20gauge FRANCHI semi-auto "youth model" exceptionally well, with a variety of shotshell loads from #8 BIRDSHOT to BUCKSHOT. = I can recommend that one, for sure.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Phoneguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    This is my home defense shotgun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Actually, I don't know anyone that has the same config. Most folks don't think you should spend more on the accessories than you should on the original weapon. $274 for the Remington. $310+tax for the recoil kit, recoil pad, and foregrip.

dRmEirH.jpg

Last edited:

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    You could always consider 870 dropped into a bullpup unlimited kit. Reduced recoil, shorter overall length and reliable. My next purchase is a bullpup 870 kit.

1_25_08_11_7_20_15.gif

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's what my wife shoots. I have started to like it more than my 12 for dove.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom