Gun Zone Deals

Will Texas ever go to Second Amendment Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldjarhead56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Getting a CHL Doesn't seem too difficult, but to me Texas should go to "Second Amendment " or what some call "Constitutional " carry like Arizona. I wish every law abiding Texan who wishes to carry would let your state representative, your state Senator, Lt. Governor and Governor know that if you can pass a NICS check, when buying a firearm, that's enough. The Second Amendment should be the ONLY "permit" that you should need.
    Hurley's Gold

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    OP, welcome to the forum......stop by the Introductions Thread and introduce yourself, let us know a little bit about you. Good way to meet some of the forum members, just a suggestion. Again, welcome to TGT

Last edited:

larlev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Im with you on the nics check.....the only thing I have issues with is the training aspect. I know we have all seen folks with chls that can't clear a simple malfunction. Yes they pass the pitiful shooting test, but really need more gun handling, scenario skills.

My only concern is folks will carry without taking the responsibility that comes with it. I understand it is "our" right, and I am a firm supporter of this aspect. I would just like to see some sort of additional training somehow implemented into being able to CC or OC.

I really like the school districts policy of additional hours, and simulator training. We all shoot because we enjoy it. The idea of making it mandatory to some is always a bad idea....understand this also.
    Maybe I'm way off, just a thought.

Last edited:

oldjarhead56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    larlev, I can understand your feelings when it comes to training, but if you require training, that means government involvement. When that happens, Katy bar the door, to what they will "require" and start to erode our Second Amendment rights. Anything you buy in America comes with some type of written instructions on its use, and anything can be misused in a negligent manner. I believe the majority of people who buy a gun will do what is necessary to properly learn the use of a gun. Sure there will always be a few idiots out there. There always is. Even top professional gun handlers have NDs. It is working in Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont. It sure as heck should work here too. Law abiding Texans are good people.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    For one, I don't like the NICS check angle you seem to propose. Do you mean for every singe firearm transaction or just those from a dealer???

Too many have reason to oppose the constitutional carry option. Many of them are here. Since when do you need training to exercise a right? Many CHL instructors don't want to lose the income. Lot of gun ranges make good money from the shooting portion of the process.

In Texas the CHL class is not designed to teach you how to use a firearm, it's a brief test of competency. Never intended to take a novice and make them an expert, not in the scope of the class. If a person feels they need firearm instruction a CHL class is not the place. However, the instructors that teach those classes are sometimes great resources for supplemental instruction outside the CHL course.

BTW, this discussion has been had dozen of times on this board. Not all agree with any approach. I feel some actually support the horrid example of Illinois has with their FOID cards.

When the right become contingent upon a government issued approval and/or a document, it is no longer a right but a privilege.

oldjarhead56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    For one, I don't like the NICS check angle you seem to propose. Do you mean for every singe firearm transaction or just those from a dealer???

Too many have reason to oppose the constitutional carry option. Many of them are here. Since when do you need training to exercise a right? Many CHL instructors don't want to lose the income. Lot of gun ranges make good money from the shooting portion of the process.

In Texas the CHL class is not designed to teach you how to use a firearm, it's a brief test of competency. Never intended to take a novice and make them an expert, not in the scope of the class. If a person feels they need firearm instruction a CHL class is not the place. However, the instructors that teach those classes are sometimes great resources for supplemental instruction outside the CHL course.

BTW, this discussion has been had dozen of times on this board. Not all agree with any approach. I feel some actually support the horrid example of Illinois has with their FOID cards.

When the right become contingent upon a government issued approval and/or a document, it is no longer a right but a privilege.

I agree with your post. I obviously was talking dealers with reference to the NICS check. People who sell private person to private person should be responsible enough to make sure the person they are selling it to is not a felon or ineligible. My rule is only sell, or give to a friend or relative. Never a stranger. My two cents.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The TX CHL course is just a test for competency, just like the DL test. However, driving is not an enumerated right....RKBA is.

I'll support testing for Constitutional carry as soon as you support testing before you can make a forum post....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Texas will go Constitutional Carry. It's an ego thing. Frankly a lot of constituents are embarrassed we are getting beat by places like AZ and NM in that regard, and TX representatives know it.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    To hell with the NICS check. It is not referenced in the United States Constitution, it is a power more appropriate to the States.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Im with you on the nics check.....the only thing I have issues with is the training aspect. I know we have all seen folks with chls that can't clear a simple malfunction. Yes they pass the pitiful shooting test, but really need more gun handling, scenario skills.

My only concern is folks will carry without taking the responsibility that comes with it. I understand it is "our" right, and I am a firm supporter of this aspect. I would just like to see some sort of additional training somehow implemented into being able to CC or OC.

I really like the school districts policy of additional hours, and simulator training. We all shoot because we enjoy it. The idea of making it mandatory to some is always a bad idea....understand this also.
    Maybe I'm way off, just a thought.

In a perfect world, I would agree with this.

The raw incompetence and scary lack of proficiency I saw at my last renewal at Red's in round rock was pretty frightening.
    But, we live in a era devoid of critical thinking, so we are required to stand fast in politics. It stinks.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I train cops regularly. The level of raw incompetence and scary lack of proficiency is pretty frightening.

I also teach other civilians, same thing different batch of civilians.

However, the Second Amendment means exactly what it says. But until we get rid of the Democrats running this state...and I mean Perry and Dewhurst...we won't recognize it here.

Alex

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I don't mind a little red tape to get a permit. Just enough to keep the criminals and gangbangers out. I'm a perfectly law-abiding citizen so I should have no problem getting through it
    In principal, constitutional carry is a great expression of our rights. The only thing that scares me is that any thug that conceals would then be legal.

There is absolutely no reason to have a qualification test or fingerprints on file. I haven't committed a crime. They don't need my prints.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I don't mind a little red tape to get a permit. Just enough to keep the criminals and gangbangers out. I'm a perfectly law-abiding citizen so I should have no problem getting through it
    In principal, constitutional carry is a great expression of our rights. The only thing that scares me is that any thug that conceals would then be legal.

There is absolutely no reason to have a qualification test or fingerprints on file. I haven't committed a crime. They don't need my prints.

Just a little freedom traded for the sense of security is ok?

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Just a little freedom traded for the sense of security is ok?

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

That all depends on who's defining 'freedom' and 'security.' I wouldn't leave it up to politicians to define.

If it were up to me, I'd have it be no more intrusive than a background check that you need anyways to purchase a firearm. No class, no training, no qualifier, just a BG check for concealed and unrestricted OC

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    That all depends on who's defining 'freedom' and 'security.' I wouldn't leave it up to politicians to define.

If it were up to me, I'd have it be no more intrusive than a background check that you need anyways to purchase a firearm. No class, no training, no qualifier, just a BG check for concealed and unrestricted OC
    Should your medical history be included in the background check? How about your driving record?

Top Bottom