APOD Firearms

Would you ever leave your guns in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adamant_Narwhal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Williamson County
    I wouldn't, but that's because I don't believe my car is secure enough. Even if I put a lock box on it, that doesn't make the vehicle harder to steal. If I absolutely had to, I'd try to park in a very crowded and visible spot, and hide them. However, remember that folks can still pull a smash and grab regardless of your security system, so I would highly suggest getting something secure for long guns and the like if you ever expect to be in these situations.
    Capitol Armory ad

91B10

HATES: Politicians and Rust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2015
    South Texas
    I keep a locked and loaded 12ga Savage/Stevens and a Bursa Thunder .380 in my truck at all times. Well out of site but easily accessable. I travel and spend half my time out of state. My truck spends weeks at a time in parking lots when i have to go off-shore. The retail value of both of those very reliable weapons is less than the cost of the XD45 thats in my waistband when im not at work. So financially im willing to make that sacrifice, but im also ensured and have quick access to serial #’s just in case I do get hit. I am honestly more worried about losing the Yeti 65 I have cable locked in the bed.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    In Texas, like many other states, it's against the law (Tex Trans Code Sec. 545.404) to leave a running vehicle unattended, with fines up to $500 (it's a Class C misdemeanor).

According to the FBI, there are roughly a quarter of a million vehicles are stolen every year due to driver error such as leaving a vehicle running unattended with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. It is especially common during the colder months as people tend to start their cars and leave them to "warm up." Thieves know this and take full advantage of it.

And if having your car stolen wasn't bad enough, some insurance companies will deny coverage for a stolen vehicle that had the keys in the ignition.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...
    To clarify, I never leave my vehicle running ever in these situations. Always locked and the keys are on me but I do live in a very small town with next to no crime. I wouldnt bring crap into a real town or a city unless I was carrying it on me

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Texas, like many other states, it's against the law (Tex Trans Code Sec. 545.404) to leave a running vehicle unattended, with fines up to $500 (it's a Class C misdemeanor).

I did not know this^^^

According to the FBI, there are roughly a quarter of a million vehicles are stolen every year due to driver error such as leaving a vehicle running unattended with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked and stereo blasting. It is especially common during the colder months as people tend to start their cars and leave them to "warm up." Thieves know this and take full advantage of it.[/QUOTE]
    FIFY

And if having your car stolen wasn't bad enough, some insurance companies will deny coverage for a stolen vehicle that had the keys in the ignition.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...[/QUOTE]

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I have left loaded weapons in my vehicle for over 35 years here in Houston. Keep in mind that most thieves are aware that most vehicles in Texas have guns in them. Car thieves want to steal a new car or truck that they can quickly sell or an older vehicle that they can part out; guns are just an added benefit but not worth the risk on their own. My vehicles are either in my garage or with me on the job and are always behind locked doors. Remember, you are talking about defense against thieves; i.e., people who are too lazy or too stupid to hold a real job. Don't make life easy for them (park on the street or in your driveway overnight, leave your vehicle unlocked, leave your keys in the ignition, etc.) and you'll be fine.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I did not know this^^^

According to the FBI, there are roughly a quarter of a million vehicles are stolen every year due to driver error such as leaving a vehicle running unattended with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked and stereo blasting. It is especially common during the colder months as people tend to start their cars and leave them to "warm up." Thieves know this and take full advantage of it.

There have been a few recent cases here in Houston where cars were left running while someone went inside of a business for a "second" only to be stolen with their kids inside.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

According to the FBI, there are roughly a quarter of a million vehicles are stolen every year due to driver error such as leaving a vehicle running unattended with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. It is especially common during the colder months as people tend to start their cars and leave them to "warm up." Thieves know this and take full advantage of it.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...
    I really dislike micromanaged laws. If someone does something stupid, such as get there stolen from doing this, oh well. Guess you will learn. Can’t learn? Go ahead do it again dummy.

Coming from a small town to the metroplex I can see why people don’t leave guns I the car. However as many here have commented, planning to carry then met with an unseen situation where you can’t enter a building armed, could happen. I would remind people that it’s not hard to keep a spreadsheet of your inventory and park where a camera can see your vehicle for later evidence.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The solution to theft is we need a yearly hunting season on crackheads, dealers, and street trash. All we gotta do is get fish and game involved, push it threw the house and senate, get it signed and watch crime go down.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    The solution to theft is we need a yearly hunting season on crackheads, dealers, and street trash. All we gotta do is get fish and game involved, push it threw the house and senate, get it signed and watch crime go down.
    License requirements? Bag limits? Federal protection in off season? So many questions.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    License requirements? Bag limits? Federal protection in off season? So many questions.
    Just gotta have a license out in the open like around your neck. This way you won’t be arrested for murder. Off season can be during fall. Tweakers don’t like the cold. They stay inside and repopulate. No bag limit.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Before when I asked this it was kinda for constantly keeping a firearm in a vehicle. I haven't been visiting the range as much as I would like. I was kinda wanting to do something like get everything ready on the night before going and in the morning load my car up, go to work and then go to the range. From work the range is either 10 or 20 minutes and from home it's about 30. But if I then have to drive home to get my stuff and then back to the range it's like a 40 minute drive and when I'm home I don't feel like going anymore.

I'm not looking to making "The Purge" an actual thing and I never leave my car on.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If you are unable to properly secure a firearm, you deserve to lose it. Granted, some things are not preventable. But leaving a firearm in an armrest, or under seat in an unattended vehicle is just stupid.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I do not lose any worry over leaving a gun in the car. If a thief steals it, that is on them. I have insurance.

People get all worked up over a crime possibly being committed with a stolen gun. Well, a thief can kill someone with a stolen car (accidentally or otherwise). They can steal anything and turn it into cash and buy a gun with which they commit a crime. No difference. Don't see anyone carrying their car inside their office or home.

Keeping the car locked is the extent of my responsibility.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I wouldn't leave a firearm in my vehicle overnight any more than I would leave 400 or 500 dollars in the vehicle. I am too attached to my firearms and to my money.

Besides, I don't want to reward some damn thief for being a thief.

Top Bottom