• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    They (my bank anyway) is making cash cumbersome to get. They recently changed their ATM rules. Want $100? You now get a $100 bill instead of five $20s. They now dispense in the largest denomination of your request. $80 gets you four $20s for some reason instead of a 50, 20 & 10. I’m having to do multiple $80 transactions in order to get usable currency that the local 711 can make change for.
    Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Look how much banks' reporting requirements have changed for cash withdrawals.
    When that happens, barring some change in federal law, look to local factors. Temporary changes in reporting thresholds can be set by regional authorities.

It's actually kinda weird to listen to a SAUSA try to flex on everybody at the bar after work, talking about how "We dropped the cash transaction threshold to $2K," taking credit for something he didn't (personally) do and thinking the people around him will admire him for it. BTDT and it's just weird.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    They (my bank anyway) is making cash cumbersome to get. They recently changed their ATM rules. Want $100? You now get a $100 bill instead of five $20s. They now dispense in the largest denomination of your request. $80 gets you four $20s for some reason instead of a 50, 20 & 10. I’m having to do multiple $80 transactions in order to get usable currency that the local 711 can make change for.
    Mine, too.
    I go inside to withdraw cash; anything over $2k has to be approved by a manager.
    My God how things have changed.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The machine can only hold so many denominations. most would not be able to hold fifty's and tens

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't mind hundreds. The local HEB is happy to break them if I need singles to feed the lottery machine, whether I actually use them for that purpose or not.. And the self-checkouts at HEB and most other places will take them, too. I've broken $100 bills by buying a 4-pack of soup.

As for dealing with the bank, I'm not shy about asking about their cash delivery schedule. "Y'all's cash gets delivered on Thursday, right? And you order on Tuesday, right? Well, since it's Monday, I'm letting you know I'll be cashing a check on Friday for $12K. I'll need $10K in 100s and $2K in 2s. You'll make sure you can cover that, right?" is a conversation I've had more than once with the teller in charge at my bank.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Which bank?
    I bank with Chase.
    Haven't been to an ATM in a while, but never seen bills except twenties offered.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's probably just inflation. A $20 is like what a $5 used to be :p

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Which bank?
    I bank with Chase.
    Haven't been to an ATM in a while, but never seen bills except twenties offered.
    I only hit 2 ATMs with any regularity. Regions bank dispenses 50s and for anything over $200 it chooses to dispense 5 $20 bills and do the rest in 50s. Bank of America dispenses 100s and let's you pick which denominations you want but does not have $10 bills.

It seems like they're all different.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

As for dealing with the bank, I'm not shy about asking about their cash delivery schedule. "Y'all's cash gets delivered on Thursday, right? And you order on Tuesday, right? Well, since it's Monday, I'm letting you know I'll be cashing a check on Friday for $12K. I'll need $10K in 100s and $2K in 2s. You'll make sure you can cover that, right?" is a conversation I've had more than once with the teller in charge at my bank.
    So have I, exactly that. And, when I went to pick up my money, I had to sign a one-page document acknowledging that I was taking the cash and that I understood the risk of having so much cash not safely in the bank. (2021, Sandpoint ID, Mountain West Bank, a division of Glacier Bank).

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    I have a local bank, they have just a few offices in Cass and Morris Counties. They have no problem with cash. They have actual people with authority in the offices. It is a novel approach, but works.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Signing a currency transaction report never bothered me.

A form from the bank acknowledging a security risk is silly but wouldn't bother me, either.

There's no escaping paperwork, it seems. :)
    It's not a paperwork issue, for me.
    Matter of fact, if it had stayed on paper, and was filed away lost deep in the piles somewhere I'd feel better about it; undoubtedly it's been digitized - and therefore the amount of cash I had at home was available information to anyone who could access the info, legitimately or otherwise.

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    If the Constitution fails, the USG fails and no amount or type of USD will hold value. At that point, we’re back to societal collapse.

The U.S. Constitution was flushed down the toilet in 1865.

USD value is based up "the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government".

When Uncle Sugar can no longer service his debt obligations, Uncle Sugar's spending reduces dramatically, right down to the bare Continuity of Government functions.

You are wise to prepare for the end of Federal spending on EBT cards, EMS services, V.A. Pensions, and Medicare. It won't be pretty.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    If that’s the case, do you pay taxes, vote, exercise freedom of speech or religion? Do you enjoy any of the rights, privileges, and protections guaranteed in it, or do you face summary execution when you are pulled over for speeding?

If you don’t have one, you have none.

Good thing Texas has her own Constitution.
    Might be helpful if/when the Republic awakens.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support