Patriot Mobile

Yellowstone TV series, anybody watching it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    WARNING: MILD SPOILERS

I saw Season 2 advertised so I binged Season 1 last week. Started strong but by the end of it I think the jury is still out for me.

Mainly, I think there were just too many unbelievable plot lines going on. I don't have the foggiest idea if this is the way it's done on big ranches like this but the branding ritual, the mob-style killing of the fired wrangler, kidnapping and hanging the developer guy, I just didn't buy it. The cancer story line seemed forced and unnecessary.

I thought Costner was pretty good overall but I didn't really get the Godfather style manipulation of his family members (i.e. his kids) and the local politicians. I did like how he seemlessly moved in and out of the political/big business world and shoveling manure in the horse stalls. That I could see; I know guys like that. But they don't order fired employees killed and they don't cut their kid off when the kid wants to make his own way.

I'm not sure where they were trying to go with the daughter. Seems like they left out a lot of the background story with her mother. I assume there'll be more in Season 2.

I kept hoping they'd go into a little more background on the relationships between the "whites" and the native Americans. What really happens when a herd wanders onto a reservation? Surely they work together to get the cattle back, right? I don't know how those dynamics work in places like that in real life but I found that part of the show very interesting and otherwise well-done.

Spectacular scenery, I'll give it that. Almost worth it for that alone. I'll watch Season 2 but I'm not chomping at the bit for it to start.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    My husband wants to rope me in to watching this series.

But we are still watching “The Last Ship.”

Last edited:

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Season 2 started last week and I finally got a chance to watch it last night. I think there are still too many plot holes for me. Not sure I can finish the season which is a shame because I'm trying very hard to like this show, and it's got the potential to be a classic.

Without spoiling anything, there was a plot line started late in Season 1 where a very attractive and petite stripper (I guess now an ex-stripper?) joins the cowboys in the bunkhouse. Of course she's turning out to be tough as nails and can out-cowboy the cowboys. Sorry, just her being in the bunkhouse was a tough pill for me to swallow to begin with, but I'm also dreading the predictable scene where some ego-bruised cowboy rapes or attempts to rape her and gets killed in the process. You know it's coming.

There was also a scene in Ep 1 where the ranch hands played "cowboy poker", which I wasn't aware was a thing but now find out it is. I didn't find it credible, mainly because the bull was a vicious rodeo/bull fighting bull and not likely the kind they have on these ranches, I wouldn't think. But then that led into an utterly beyond comprehension stupid barroom fight shenanigan that, while admittedly cool, had me rolling my eyes at the inanity of the thing.

Some other things that I won't go into because it would require spoilers. Interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this show.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Ddint care for the barroom fight but the cowboy poker thing is done all the time in local rodeo's.

Diggin the vib although I think the militaristic war killin machine aspect of it is a little overcooked.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I haven't started season 2 but I watched season 1. The show is a little far-fetched but Costner isn't bad and I enjoyed it enough for pure entertainment value. I feel like a lot of the dynamics and relationships in the show are probably somewhat akin to experiences of various big ranches and Native American tribes or even of politicians and investors but just turned up to 11 for the show.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Ddint care for the barroom fight but the cowboy poker thing is done all the time in local rodeo's.

Yeah, I googled it after watching and it's a legit rodeo thing. I'd never seen it before. My problem with it was that they brought out the Schlitz Malt Liquor bull, which I thought was way out of place for a big ranch like that. I could be completely wrong, but the bulls I've been around on working farms and ranches have usually been pretty docile, because you don't want to deal with a crazy bull every day.

And even that would have just been a minor irritant if they'd have stopped there. But when they took it to the bar, I was like "I don't care how big a ranch you have, in what universe is this ever going to be even remotely allowed?" Ridiculous. Funny, but ridiculous.

That's kinda how a lot of these plot lines seem to be headed - they start with an interesting idea but take it two, or three, or four steps too far.

Diggin the vib although I think the militaristic war killin machine aspect of it is a little overcooked.
    Yep, great example of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Just looked up Taylor Sheridan, the creator of this show:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236770/

Taylor Sheridan is an American actor, screenwriter, and director. He is best known for wrote the screenplay for Sicario (2015), and Hell or High Water (2016), for which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay.

He also starred in FX television series Sons of Anarchy, and directed the film Wind River, starring Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen.

Very very promising!
    No wonder I like the show. I thought those were awesome movies. The actress in Wind River is a hottie. Saw the first show of season 2 and thought it was good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I haven't started season 2 but I watched season 1. The show is a little far-fetched but Costner isn't bad and I enjoyed it enough for pure entertainment value. I feel like a lot of the dynamics and relationships in the show are probably somewhat akin to experiences of various big ranches and Native American tribes or even of politicians and investors but just turned up to 11 for the show.

Yes, I'm really enjoying the political and economic interplay with the Native American tribe. Those parts seem to be pretty realistic or at least plausible. I also like the various scenes dealing with the growth and yuppiefication of Bozeman. I can relate, as we've been living through that in Austin for the past 10-15 years.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    More bollywood BS. Queen and a bunch of others. Nope, not going to waste my TV time.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I don't think it is suppose to be a documentary about Cowboys and ranches in Montana?? I loved ER but didn't think all ERs operated like that. Heck how many her liked John Wick? It has good entertainment value.

The creator of Yellowstone is starting a reality show on Cowboys, you'll might wanna catch that instead. Me I will pass on that.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I don't think it is suppose to be a documentary about Cowboys and ranches in Montana?? I loved ER but didn't think all ERs operated like that. Heck how many her liked John Wick? It has good entertainment value.

The creator of Yellowstone is starting a reality show on Cowboys, you'll might wanna catch that instead. Me I will pass on that.

I hear you. I realize it's a drama and not a documentary, but for some reason it seems to me like it should be more realistic. I guess I was expecting more of a Lonesome Dove type of fictionalized drama based on real characters and events that maybe didn't happen this exact way, but could have. It's turned out to be more of a Dallas meets Godfather soap opera set in Montana with over the top stuff thrown in just for the sake of being over the top.

I barely remember watching an episode or two of ER, and I've never seen John Wick so I don't know how they would compare. I don't watch a whole lot of movies or TV these days so when I do invest the time, I want it to be worth it. I can't decide yet if this one is or not.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I barely remember watching an episode or two of ER, and I've never seen John Wick so I don't know how they would compare. I don't watch a whole lot of movies or TV these days so when I do invest the time, I want it to be worth it. I can't decide yet if this one is or not.
    Well I'll tell you right now that you should definitely consider allocating some time to watch the John Wick movies, they're great (especially for gun and car enthusiasts).

Top Bottom