• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Best stopping power? One shot stop? Seems to match what I saw on the streets.

I can't take that information very seriously as it contradicts itself many times over... I am sure there are good reasons for that but it just doesn't provide usable information. And you can't convince me that the .380 ACP is equal to the .357 Magnum or better than the other larger, more powerful cartridges as shown. So....

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    In perspective, .380ACP is a 9mm, too.....

Good point - if they're not recovering the casings and the weapon - how are they going to know if it's actually a 9x19 or a 9x18 - especially one of the weirder light 9x19 loadings? I worked with a guy who carried 95 grain Blackhawk 9x19 rounds for work once upon a time, when they had their ammo that was all over the gun magazines. I don't think you can tell from a wound channel if its a 9x19 or a .380 either.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I'd like to see the actual case information they pulled those tables from...looks like pure BS to me. Only 70% one shot stops with a shotgun? What gauge? What load? What distance? And only 70% one shot stops with a rifle? Again, what caliber? What distance? Who's on the trigger? I think I'll make up my own mind about which weapon I use, and how and when I deploy it. Pretty sure I can top 70%.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Ask the two 200 plus pound men in pain unable to stand up, that I had to deal with years ago, what they think of 9mm.
    594ba496af196.jpeg.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    If wound channels equal stopping power, I choose 10 Guage with "00" buckshot. My loads are 16 pellets per shot...holds 5 rounds
    Survey says...86 wound channels.
    Ouch.

Used to have a conference lecture from an anesthesia conference saved, but lost it...

A Dr, talking about treating GSW and went over survivability stats.

For pistol calibers, 22lr on up, the single most important factor in predicting the patients death was THE NUMBER OF ROUNDS ON TARGET. Not caliber, not expanding or hardball.
    I.E 2 hits of 22lr was more probably lethal than 1 hit of anything else.

Follow up shots/recoil management is VERY important and for the same training a 9mm will allow faster and more accurate follow up shots.

The common factor of "failure" for pistol rounds is lack of penatration, that also went for 22lr, 9mm, 45, 40 etc. They are all BARELY adequate to reach vitals.

There are only 2 ways bullets kill someone. You either bleed out the same as being stabbed, or a CNS (brain or spine) hit. A CNS hit is high risk, high reward being a small very mobile target so generally your best option is COM shots or maybe a fancy pelvic girdle shot to open up holes to let blood out and the more holes the better the chances of getting something good like one of the major arteries.

I carry 9mm 124g Speer GDHP because I have to, but I'd be more than happy carrying FMJ to get a bit more penetration in a combat/SD situation. Expansion is way overrated IMO.

I say there is no shot a 9mm didnt kill that a 45acp or 40SW would have.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My mom hated pistol recoil but she had no problem with long guns. She carried a .22 revolver but at home she kept a 12 ga with slugs.

Hmmm.

Looking back, that seems like a more reasonable plan than I gave her credit for at the time.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I'd like to see the actual case information they pulled those tables from...looks like pure BS to me. Only 70% one shot stops with a shotgun? What gauge? What load? What distance? And only 70% one shot stops with a rifle? Again, what caliber? What distance? Who's on the trigger? I think I'll make up my own mind about which weapon I use, and how and when I deploy it. Pretty sure I can top 70%.

Never believe charts or numbers for anything when Actual tests or facts aren't done or given otherwise it's all speculation that looks good on paper to the authors.

Top Bottom