• ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys,

There's too many fat people. Maintaining a healthy weight can do a lot for you that you take for granted. While the best thing and easiest thing for all of us is to not get fat, fat happens. Being fat harms you every day.

1. Diet is 70% of maintaining a healthy weight. However, any good that has "diet" on it will poison you. It's a trick that advertisers try to fool women and girly men. You're not a girly man.

Eat these things 3x each week- oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet potato, and avacado. It's not that hard to eat these things even though sweet potato IMO is disgusting. Remember that it's only 3 servings of these things. Spread them out for best results.
    Also remember: Broccoli is in the cabbage family along with kale, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.
    Harder still is the foods you need to eat in moderation. You're allowed to eat these things 1x per week: RED MEAT, PASTA, DESSERT (not yogurt or fruit), ALCOHOL. I've followed this and it makes a difference. I used to be addicted to beef, but I never liked pasta.
    What are things you shouldn't eat at all or 1-2x per month?
    Fast foods, soda/soda water/coke/soda pop/PPP/DR PEPPER, processed meals, canned soups, "diet foods". These things will slow you down and keep you from seeing results. In some studies- Oreos and soda were found to be as addictive as cigarettes.

Follow this stuff above and you'll lose weight. To really see more results you've got to exercise.

2. Exercise makes you feel better, builds muscle, and muscles eat fat. Without exercise you can lose weight but together you'll see results faster with a work out routine. You don't have to go to the gym either. Adults need 30min-1hr of excersise 4 days a week. That could be jogging, power walking, cycling, rowing, digging, hiking, swimming, helping friends or family
    move, physically demanding work, cleaning you garage, shoveling off shingles, push mowing, weed eating and edging, sex, playing sports, climbing stairs or going down stairs, going to the gym for weights, push ups, chin ups, carrying anything heavy or anything else that keeps you active and works your balance and muscles.
    Personally, I would suggest anything where you use gravity and your body weight. You are heavy, gravity pulls down on you. Use those forces to get in a good work out. Don't use a work out machine unless you have an instructor. Work out machines only work a specific muscle group, 1 at a time. That's lady parts. You're a man right? Do man stuff. Do curls for girls? Whatever. Work towards making yourself healthy. Walking uphill, jogging, hiking, squats, push ups and man work with a good diet should get you where you need to be.

You can do it. Lose weight, look and feel better and do it for your self, your parents, your family. Whatever motivates you to stay on track, just stay with it.

What if you want to or believe you are a mall ninja/ninja/tactical responder?

1. Are you over weight? Ninjas climb trees and aren't fat. Look at Bruce lee and Chuck Norris. Chuck is 75 and in better shape than we understand.

2. Do you eat fast food? Ninjas don't eat burgers, fries, fried chicken, or Chinese take out. You're not a damn ninja no matter how much you spent on your pajamas and fabric belt.

3. If you think you're ready for an attack, could you retreat and find cover? How far could you run and what could you carry with you? The bigger you are, the bigger target you are and the slower you run, you can't jump as high, and you require
    more room in between obstacles. If you're not in shape, good luck with your training. What can you carry with you for supplies if you're already carrying man tits, back fat, back tits, 3 chins, 2 rolls, and a beer gut? You've got too much to carry already.
    Hurley's Gold

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Country_Fried_Steak_Eggs.png

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I think there's more to it than just that, and diet doesn't have to be so specific. I eat red meat and partake of some alcohol more than once or twice a week. My waist size has grown 2 inches in the last 3 decades.

I don't eat fast food, I don't drink cokes, I do stay active, but I'm not on some exercise regimen. I just eat decent and stay active. I don't come from a long line of overweight people so I think genes play into it some as well.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm 54. 160-165 lb. 5' 10".
    I've had 1 diet change in my lifetime.
    Dropped sugar and went high protein. Doctor's advice at about 28 y.o.
    Never weighed more than 180. Didn't carry that weight well.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Good Lord made our lives short so that we would appreciate the days we have together with our friends and families.

There are plenty of people who eat the strictest of diets and exercise like they were training for the Olympics who still get cancer or get run over by a bus. (Anyone remember Jim Fixx? He's the health nut that started the jogging craze that still goes on to this day. Dropped over dead at 52 from a massive coronary.) It's not just about diet or exercise; it's also your DNA and the diseases you are exposed to and the dangers that occur from living.

I'm not saying that it's ok to drink beer and eat chicken fried steaks until people mistake you for Jabba-the-Hut or Rosie O'donnell. All things in moderation, please.

But there's no use in trying to live forever; Life is 100% fatal. Enjoy it while you can.

Eat bacon.

I'm a survivor of pancreatic cancer - at least so far. There aren't many of us. I'm missing a few organs as a result. It wasn't an easy road. Me and God had a lot of conversations and they all included the phrase, "Thy will, not my will, be done." I have to watch my diet, but I still find room to enjoy things like that chicken-fried chicken I had last night. Life is about living, not about death avoidance. When your time is up, it's up. When it's not, it's not. There's no use worrying about it in the meantime. (As the Good Book says, "Who by worry can add one moment to his life?") When someone tells you they know the secret to health, they are either trying to sell you something or being deluded by someone who sold it to them.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I served my country, might be 10 pounds overweight at most as of now (after the army slight weight gain is expected), I do what I want now. If the shit goes down where I have to run miles every day and return fire it's already a situation that isn't going to end well. Given that, I don't necessarily support people being gluttons.

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys, I'm just trying to provide advice, not a strict lifestyle. It's not right to be fat. Just try not to get fat. If it's hard to not be fat, look up what you can do to make yourself better. If you jog or cycle, look out for dogs, cars, trucks, and pedestrians. Stay alert and don't crank your music too loud. Get checked out if your family has a history of heart disease or any health problems. When it's your time it's your time to go, but problems caused by being overweight are avoidable. I know people are stuck in their ways (weighs), but you really do feel better when you're healthy.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sweet potatoes are awesome. You must not have had them right.
    They aren't bad with lots of cinnamon, brown sugar, butter and topped with marshmallows. Other than that they are yucky.

It's not right to be fat. Just try not to get fat.
    lol... sorry man; you're right. This fat guy will stop ruining your thread ;)

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Guys,

1. Diet is 70% of maintaining a healthy weight. However, any good that has "diet" on it will poison you. It's a trick that advertisers try to fool women and girly men. You're not a girly man.

I agree but my percentages differ. For me, I'd say it's 90% diet and 10% exercise. Everyone's different. I try to achieve 30 min to an hour of moderate (not vigorous) exercise at least 5x week, and that definitely helps. But for me, I can control 90% of my weight by watching what I eat alone.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    They aren't bad with lots of cinnamon, brown sugar, butter and topped with marshmallows. Other than that they are yucky.

lol... sorry man; you're right. This fat guy will stop ruining your thread ;)
    I'm not worried about the thread getting ruined. I'd just like for yall guys to be healthy and happy.

At my heaviest and bulkiest I was 215 and at 6' that's not too fat. I worked out 4x per week to bulk up. I started to get stretch marks and then when I decided to cut fat off of me it was very hard. My diet wasn't what it needed to be. I slept worse, I wasn't as happy and I only cut weight to 205. I hovered between 190 and 205 for a few years and even 10k trained my weight to 178, but my diet wasn't right, I wasn't happy, I didn't sleep good, everything hurt, and I mostly stayed between 200 and 190.

As soon as I fixed my diet, because I had the exercise part nailed down, I have felt better. I sleep better and wake up with more energy, and I don't have nagging pain or stomach problems. I'm losing 2-3lbs per week and I want to stay in the 170-180 range.

Anyone can disagree with me if you found something that works for you. I'm just asking the guys with too much weight to try and lose all that they need to feel as good as they can and enjoy life better.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got a couple sea bass fillets I'm going to bake for lunch. Should be a pretty healthy meal. I will be putting a pat of butter on top of them, tho. I bet my office mates are gonna love that smell while I'm cooking them ;)

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

FAIL!!! lol

I hate them that way. Sweet potatoes are sweet enough as-is.

Try them baked in chunks. Pull them out and throw olive oil, sautéed shallots and some tarragon in them. They're also good steamed then mashed w garlic, pearl onions and chipotle.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I could go off on a bunch of tangents so lengthy I'd bump against the per-post character limit. Instead, I'll just say this.

It's a bitch to come back from being fat. It's worth the effort but the smarter course is to never go there.

I once shared the stage with Ralphie May. He was the emcee; I was one of the acts. After I did my bit, he got on stage and did five minutes of fat jokes about me. Yep, I was that fat.

I've lost more than half my body weight since then and the journey has been agonizing. I'm still well away from healthy but I'll get there.

Spare yourself the pain I've gone through. Don't get fat. When you get overweight, get it under control.

I know it's far more complicated than most people realize. I know very well that anyone who brings up thermodynamics and a simple "calories in vs. calories out" argument is completely ignorant of the real mechanisms at work. So if you're fat, I sympathize and don't condemn. You'll get plenty of condemnation from people who don't know what in the bloody hell they're talking about.

I know it's harder than any healthy person can imagine to come back.

But the goal is worth the journey's pain.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Good thread!

OK...the truth. I'm 68 yo, 6'1", weighed 286 this morning and strong as a damned bull! The doc said that I'm never going to be petite and set a goal for my weight at 250. I think that's a reasonable goal, but I struggle to reach it. About the time I get closer to that weight, some damned physical issue interferes.

As I type this, my blood pressure is 119/81.

Right now, I have a broken right big toe. A fire extinguisher fell on it and smashed it nicely. That sure slowed down my walkees with Jake in the park! It hurts like Hell and I can't wear a whole shoe. I cut the front out of an old shoe and wear that.

Every morning, I eat a two egg ham & cheese omelet with Corn Flakes and a little 2% milk. I skip lunch every day and eat about a 1/2 cup of trail mix to overcome the mid afternoon dip. There is NO sugar in this house.

Dinner is baked chicken with some applesauce and beans or carrots. That meat is baked in the Wolfgang Puck Pressure oven (See thread in the cooking section).

I NEVER drink anything with alcohol, soda/pop/sugar drinks, seldom drink juice, drink lots of water and one cup of tea in the morning.

I take one multi-vitamin and a "Probiotic" pill to keep my guts operating perfectly every day.

The big tricycle is my only exercise now, but Jake & I went on a 6 mile ride yesterday as soon as the rain cleared. (There is a picture of Jake & I on the trike in my profile album.) Hopefully, we'll be able to do that every day, again. OH....mowing this huge yard takes up one full afternoon with hard work.

Still......I'm a big guy and there isn't a whole lot more that I can modify in diet or exercise!

Flash

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Ben, I know you're still losing weight. I keep up with it on the everyday workout thread. Good job and keep on keeping on.

Hippie, I'm gonna try both of your recipes. Baked with salt and pepper doesn't do it for me.

Roger, watch out for fire extinguishers. They're supposed to be around to keep you safe. I know you're on your own diet with the pressure pot. Try and add stuff from the cabbage family. It's cheap, it's easy, and it really has good stuff for you. Sardines, tuna, and boiled eggs are my snacks. Protein makes you feel fuller longer and speeds up your metabolism. Cheaper protein like sardines, tuna, and eggs are economical and have fatty acids that will help you out. Plus tuna and sardines can be stored for a power outage/hurricane/after sky net happens scenario.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have now lost 43 pounds but have hit a point where my body has hit a plateau. 229-230 seems to be the weight it wants to be but I have added a workout program and have been gaining muscle mass.

The key to my diet was to stop eating shit food and eat the healthy things that my wife was eating and cooking. It was very hard at first but after I got used to it I cannot eat most of the stuff that restaurants serve as its far too slaty and suagrery or just heavy food. I also have completely quit drinking which saves on a ton of calories.

Now that I have added a workout program which includes cardio I have gained an inch on my neck, an inch on my arms, 1.5 inches on my quads, and trimmed my waste to a 35". Now I am 6'4" with a 50" chest 18" inch neck and 35" waste. which is better than I was when I was in my 20's. Now I have been working on stamina and adding some more mass to my chest for more power.

The hardest part was changing my diet and watching my intake. I started counting carbs and eliminated anything and everything that was an overload to my system. The weight didn't fall off immediately but did after the first month. So if you can get past the first four weeks and stick with it, it gets a lot easier after you start seeing results.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    So everyone don't piss off TX69. Dude sounds big and bad.

Try adding cheap protein - chicken, sardines, canned tuna, Walmart whey powder

Eat more cabbage, kale, broccoli and leafy veggies. Or see post #1.

Protein fills you up, keeps you full and boosts metabolism. Everyone hits a point where they level off. It sounds like you're close to your goal. You're tall. You can be built heavier and be fine. To really make a difference you'll have to focus on a stricter diet even if it's only 5-6 days a week. You only have a little bit more to go if you're still trying to lose. Has a doctor told you where you need to be? 225-230 might be fine for you.

Top Bottom