• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Well for the record I fully support a healthy lifestyle and practice it, Ranching all my life so I been active and still am some days more so than others.
    i was just saying some folks got dealt a bad hand and are not as capable as we are at keeping weight off.
    But as you age your body changes you can slow that down and that's what I shoot for, some days some of my old injuries makes that harder.
    Best/picker

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    So everyone don't piss off TX69. Dude sounds big and bad.

Try adding cheap protein - chicken, sardines, canned tuna, Walmart whey powder

Eat more cabbage, kale, broccoli and leafy veggies. Or see post #1.

Protein fills you up, keeps you full and boosts metabolism. Everyone hits a point where they level off. It sounds like you're close to your goal. You're tall. You can be built heavier and be fine. To really make a difference you'll have to focus on a stricter diet even if it's only 5-6 days a week. You only have a little bit more to go if you're still trying to lose. Has a doctor told you where you need to be? 225-230 might be fine for you.

Hardly. I still need to learn how to shoot.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yall should care about body composition. Don't get tunnel visioned on weight.

Get measured using skinfold test/calipers (most accurate , ACCESSIBLE method for the AVERAGE person).

Don't use the stupid lying BMI charts. Those aren't an actual measure of YOUR body. Forgt BMI charts, they're only good for decorating waiting rooms.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    BMI charts are not useful. At one point...loooooong ago... I was at about 5% body fat and BMI said I was 30lbs overweight.

Calipers are good if you can't do the water test.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Remember long ago when there were charts in the doctor's office that indicated what your weight should be for your height? I saw one once (not in a Dr. office) that told you how tall you should be it you weighed a certain amount. :green:

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    If you're worried about too much gram-negative bacteria, fight it with gram-positive bacteria. Eat yogurt for breakfast and take a shot of unfiltered apple cider vinegar every once in awhile.

The apple cider vinegar, like the bitter melon, changes the Ph in your gut to inhibit the gram-negative bacteria. ADDING gram positive in the form of yoghurt or other probiotics is an excellent step! That will reinforce a better bacteria balance. There's too much in our diet we can't control enhancing the gram negative bacteria, unless you go organic, and heavily organic (yeah, I know it ain't cheap! And often not pretty, neither).

Speaking of "organic", there is just too much leeway in defining what is "organic" and what's not.

Roundup is made from stuff that is naturally occurring in nature. Glyphosates occur in nature, but not to the degree the farmers use it!! These also kill off gram positive bacteria. But the FDA labels glyphosates "generally regarded as safe" since they are naturally occurring compounds. Therefore an organic label DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN glyphosates were or were not used. They may have been avoided, but unless the label says so (it'd be a plus for me to read that) then you may assume Roundup was used. It helps crops ripen at the same time making harvests a lot easier. Even hippie farmers got economics to consider.

Last edited:

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    BMI charts are not useful. At one point...loooooong ago... I was at about 5% body fat and BMI said I was 30lbs overweight.

Calipers are good if you can't do the water test.

They are useful for most people. There maybe 1-2% on this forum where it isn't useful.

If you want to lose weight, reduce calories. Humans are incredibly efficient, and you can eat an hours worth of exercise in a soda or half a sandwich. Some people lose weight easy. I have a 69 y/o attending who has to intentionally eat fatty foods to maintain his weight, most others it takes steady dedication to lose or maintain a healthy weight.

It's 99% diet.

this gram negative bacteria thing is way overthought of.

Last edited:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    could always just starve, use the body fat for which it was intended =)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    BMI chart is NOT the standard for measuring body composition. It doesn't measure body fat.
    How does a picture measure body fat?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The apple cider vinegar, like the bitter melon, changes the Ph in your gut to inhibit the gram-negative bacteria. ADDING gram positive in the form of yoghurt or other probiotics is an excellent step! That will reinforce a better bacteria balance.
    The raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar adds gram positive as well. It still has live cultures in it. The pasteurized stuff doesn't, tho. I use raw apple cider vinegar to ferment grain for duck food :laughing:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    BMI chart is NOT the standard for measuring body composition. It doesn't measure body fat.
    How does a picture measure body fat?
    It's not about body fat or composition. Bmi is a chart that applies to most people and tells them where they stand. 18-25 is good. Under is underweight and over is overweight.

Its not true science, but it works for the majority of people. Just because your weight to body height ratio is acceptable doesn't mean you're in good shape. Also, just because you're found overweight by bmi doesn't mean you're fat. Bodybuilders and athletic build people may fall into the overweight range. They are a minority and most likely you are fat. Don't make excuses for yourself. You don't need excuses to make yourself better.

If you are worried about your weight, see your doctor. If your diet is junk, try and fix it and don't eat fast food damnit. See a doctor before you start an exercise regimen to be safe.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think a good measure is to look at yourself naked in a mirror. You will know immediately if you're healthy or need to lose weight...or if you're in dire need of a tan, lol

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom