• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Like blondes brunettes and redheads-
    I am reducing a 55 year collection down to a few basics, My favorite match cartridge is the Swedish 6.5x55, favorite hunting Texas deer .270 Win Mountain states mule deer/elk is 7Rem Mag.
    Now I am going to 308 for all hunting and 7.62x51 for home defense. and an AR with 5.56 and 300 BO uppers with a 22 rifle for the kiddos so 4 rifles.

Hello,

My Montana husband and I did a massive firearm caliber consolidation and downsizing over the years. Before, during and after retirement.

He had way, way MORE firearms in his lifetime than I did including the ones that I bought back east and after I moved out west.

He is down to this in rifle calibers:

22lr

22wmr

30-30 Winchester

30-06

45-70 Government

He owns NO shotguns now. Not for several years.

He does own a few handguns in 22lr.

ONE .380 acp Glock pistol

ONE .45 acp Gock pistol

He may get another pistol for an anniversary gift from me.

Old Lady Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    we all have a favorite rifle catridge for various reasons
    have owned a bolt action in 30-06 since the early 1980's i'm a huge fan of catridges in 7mm diameter!

Right now for me:

22wmr

(I LOVE, love and love this 22wmr cartridge even though it costs more money per round!)

22lr = I love this round too!

I gave my last 2 firearms = 2 CZ rifles to my husband.

I still shoot those CZ 457 Lux rifles in 22wmr and 22lr.

I sometimes shoot the other 2 CZ bolt action rifles too. The Training one which is an older model and his newer Scout. They are in the 22lr caliber.

~~~~~

Past favorites:

I LOVED to shoot and USED to own several PISTOL caliber rifles in CF and RF (22lr/22wmr) - lever action rifles that shared ammunition with many of my former handguns too.

I loved my former guns that could SHARE AMMO and I still do.

I loved the guns (Rifles and handguns.) that did NOT share ammo too. But almost ALL OF MINE did share ammo even back east! NOT just out west.

I would NOT change any of my past decisions that I made when it came to ANY OF MY FORMER GUNS in any brand, model or CALIBER too! I would still own and shoot them IF I did not have some physical issues and due to the WEIGHT of the rifles. (Plus I do not own, shoot or carry handguns any longer. I had them in several calibers too.)

Those CF RIFLES were in:

357Magnum/38Special

45Long Colt

The RF rifles were in 22lr and 22wmr. MY first 22wmr rifle was bought out here in MT. The 22lr ones were from back east and out here in MT.

I LOVED ALL of my former CF and RF lever action rifles.

Beautiful wood/steel and wood/brass, tack drivers, HEAVY as time went on for my old bones which is why they went bye bye and due to some other physical conditions. They were in several TOP name brands and models.

I owned several RF lever action rifles too.

I did have a BEAUTIFUL walnut and blue steel rifle in 30-30 Winchester - a MARLIN 336C which was MADE IN CT. I got that around the time that my husband and I got married from me being a widow.

(We had some Winchester rifles in 357Magnum, 45Long Colt and in 30-30 Winchester. They got sold when they stopped making them years ago.)

That CT made MARLIN 336C was the FIRST CF rifle that I ever owned. I did not own one CF rifle back east and my rifles were only in 22lr back east.

The FIRST CF RIFLE that I ever shot was in CO. I did not own it. It was at a gathering and match.

Plus later on, I shot another CF rifle in my home state = my husband's home state that I moved to, and that was at a high power shoot at my Sportsman's Club.

Later on, I did try a FEW other CF rifles that my friends owned and wanted me to try them out plus at some competitions at my club, etc. Back east and out here.

Now, I do NOT hunt. I have nothing against hunting. My husband hunts.

I do believe in having a good rifle or handgun (Or BOTH of them!) for woods/wilderness protection! OFF the beaten track was where I used to LIVE and where I used to TRAVEL all alone when I used to drive.

Plus when I traveled with my MT husband or with friends.

OFF the beaten track was where we almost always GO now or in the PAST.

I ALWAYS carried in the woods/wilderness. I still carry in the woods/wilderness. I have had a few NICE rifle slings that my husband gave me brand new. Plus since I never used to use a rifle sling - I was willing to TRY IT ALL OUT.

My late husband only owned 2 firearm calibers and they were in 22lr and 357Magnum. He only owned a FEW handguns and rifles in his ENTIRE life by choice. (He owned more sail and power boats.) He did not hunt.

I figure that IF I was still in great condition with my old/bad hands and so forth... I would STILL CHOOSE a heavy LEVER ACTION rifle in 30-30 Winchester for ONE CF CALIBER RIFLE and continue to have the former heavier lever action rifles and the bolt action rifles HERE NOW in 22wmr and in 22lr.

And since I no longer shoot handguns, the FORMER 30-30 Winchester caliber rifle AND the 22wmr OR even no 22wmr and use a 22lr ONLY would work for me.

But I have totally fallen in LOVE with the 22wmr cartridge! Ever since I shot it out of the former heavy lever action rifle.

I had shot it in the former Ruger single action revolvers - 22lr/22wmr. Back east and out here.

Old Lady Cate

PS: MY MT husband reloads for ALL of his CF rifles and for his 45acp pistol. He does not reload for his.380 pistol by choice. He has reloaded since the early 70's.

I do NOT reload and I never did reload. I did think about doing it but I changed my mind after my late husband died.

Last edited:

CHRISGO

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2023
    Muleshoe, Texas
    For me 22-250. I've been shooting and reloading this cal. for over 30 years. Pretty good round for just about everything around here that we hunt. Also 45 L.C. for plinking. I have a old Win. lever action that so much fun to shot with.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    30.06 is my favorite hunting round, but I have to admit, the 45-70 is impressive on hogs. For general shooting fun, the 22lr is hard to beat.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    My favorite...and full disclosure...I never bought one...came so very, very, VERY close! The .257 Weatherby Magnum. I REALLY wanted the Weatherby Accumark (the full floated stainless/fluted barrel with that fancy/funky overmolded/gel-drizzled stock...well, I was not able to find one - that was back in 1997 or so? I did find a GORGEOUS Weatherby Deluxe (I think that was the model) with BEAUTIFUL tiger-stripped wood, chambered in .257 WbyMg....BUT...it was just waaaaay to pretty for me...I mean, like, put it in the safe PRETTY! So, I 'settled' for the Accumark chambered in .300WinMag...worked out just fine...but someday, maybe someday...I'll get that .257WbyMg. Oh, I equipped the Accumark with a Swarovski scope...such a nice rig! I hunted with it for a few years then got out of hunting altogether...so it sat for 20+ years. Sold it a few years ago to a buddy. It's where it belongs.

Top Bottom