Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I use to get these killer "bánh mì" sammiches @ a hole in the wall place in Houston's Midtown.
    Mercy, I love those. Was that in the Saigon mall that had the grocery with all the live fish? I used to go there and order a whole roast duck to go for $5. The little old lady behind the counter would whack it apart with a cleaver then put it in a round aluminum pan with a cardboard top. The whole time, she was muttering to herself and clearly pissed at me for being in there. But the duck was definitely worth it.

I like schlotzky's "original".
    Worst. Sandwich. Ever.

I still have to buy them, though. My sis thinks they're heaven-sent.

Katz is pretty darn good.
    I used to go to Detroit a lot. A bit north of the city, there's a large collection of the diaspora and more hellacious good delis than I could possibly ever visit. If I lived there, I'd weigh a thousand pounds.

...my absolute favorites are the ones I grew up with. ... fried bologna (Thick red rind)...on toasted white bread...
    I still treat myself to one every month or so. Soooooo good.

... lamb Shawarma.
    Good choice.

Almost all the sandwiches above are pretty close to my favorite. Add in some quality BBQ (fatty and burnt ends and pieces of brisket, rough chopped, with just a little sauce, on a buttered and toasted bun) plus a particular few deli and Vietnamese sandwiches and you probably have my top 10 sandwiches that I can get today.

The original question, though, was "favorite sandwich".

I have one favorite sandwich. I ate it when I was 18 years old.

My dad and I were at a pistol match in Uvalde, Texas. We'd been so busy we'd forgotten about lunch. Mom had made us breakfast sandwiches but we had eaten those on the way to the match.

We were both leaning up against the car, starving, hot, dusty, sweaty, and about ready to leave just to get food even tough we really wanted to stay and shoot some more. I went into the car to get our last water and I saw some plastic on the seat. I pulled it out. It seems one of those breakfast sandwiches, scrambled eggs on white toast with a little mayo, had gone down the seat and I had sat on it during the drive to the match. It had been in that hot car for hours and not in the cooler where it belongs.

The two of us split our last water and split that flattened, soggy, been-in-the-car-all-morning-in-the-hot-summer-sun sandwich. I can still remember the two of us, dog-tired, completely silent, savoring every bite as we stood next to each other, leaning against the car. At some level, even my teenage self realized that life could never be better than that moment. A couple of years later, Dad was gone.

That was the single best sandwich I've ever had in my entire life. Nothing in this life can ever top it.
    Hurley's Gold

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Mercy, I love those.

.... snip ...

A couple of years later, Dad was gone.

That was the single best sandwich I've ever had in my entire life. Nothing in this life can ever top it.
    Dammit if you can't conger up the good, the bad, the ugly, and the memories.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Mercy, I love those. Was that in the Saigon mall that had the grocery with all the live fish? I used to go there and order a whole roast duck to go for $5. The little old lady behind the counter would whack it apart with a cleaver then put it in a round aluminum pan with a cardboard top. The whole time, she was muttering to herself and clearly pissed at me for being in there. But the duck was definitely worth it.

Worst. Sandwich. Ever.

Yup Saigon Mall! The place with the ducks use to have some strange shit like pig uteruses in the steam table.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I use to get these killer "bánh mì" sammiches @ a hole in the wall place in Houston's Midtown. Then the real estate boom came an the sammich place went.

Yes! Bánh mì! Order the thit nuong. Is it just me or why has it been so hard to find a decent bánh mì sandwich in Houston as of late? I haven't had a good one in years...

Anyway, the chopped beef sandwiches @ Choice Meat Market in Pasadena are the best I've ever had and if you add your name to their mailing list, they'll send you flyers good for $.50 - $1.00 sandwiches every month or so - no limit - and they're HUGE!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Dammit if you can't conger up the good, the bad, the ugly, and the memories.
    The days are past when I was paid to write. I gotta let it out somewhere, especially when I'm a little under the influence like last night.

Also, thanks.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yup Saigon Mall! The place with the ducks use to have some strange shit like pig uteruses in the steam table.
    They also used to do a whole roast pig, head on, with crackled skin, for just $250. Those things were works of culinary art.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    A Reuben from my kitchen or a Monte Cristo from Bennigans (are they still in business?) are the best IMHO.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm saying your taste buds have a blind spot. My sis has the same one. And my good sense has a blind spot for redheads...but that's another story. :)

Just funnin' ben. I was reminded of a long range shooting thread. Heh!

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    And don't even try to tell your Reuben is better than mine if you're not using Colman's mustard!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Any Jewish deli in Montreal, Canada ... no other place on earth.

For Texas, Katz's, and depending upon whether you've been to the above, will make you slap yo Mamma at least once.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    a Monte Cristo from Bennigans (are they still in business?) are the best IMHO.

I was headed to Haiti with some friends in November 2012 for a mission trip. We had a longer layover than usual in DFW. We were thinking what to have for our last American lunch for a week, and we spotted a Bennigan's. All three of us got Monte Cristos. It was AWESOME.

Good times.

Great friends and adventure always make for good sammiches. Be it at an expensive restaurant, or around a fire a deer camp.

Good thread, guys.

From the desk of a literate squirrel named Leonard.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Is it just me or why has it been so hard to find a decent bánh mì sandwich in Houston as of late? I haven't had a good one in years...

Same with nuoc mam ... Happy All on Holcombe had the real thing at one time, but asking for it lately brings out a pale imitation.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    And don't even try to tell your Reuben is better than mine if you're not using Colman's mustard!

Ah yes ... the not so mellow yellow! Mixed from the original powder, learned to have it with ham in England fifty years ago, and still will not serve ham without it to this day.

Top Bottom