• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well, apparently he didn't break the law if he was acquitted.

'Stand Your Ground' laws, which Florida has, provides that any person may use deadly force when “he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another.”

Yes he did. he admitted he did. Florida law clearly makes it unlawful to shoot someone to death. Do you think not? However, in self defense laws there are times when you would be excluded from criminal responsibility.

It is like pleading not guilty by reason of insanity. Such a person is not denying the act, nor does a not guilty verdict indicate the person didn't commit the offense, it simply means he is not not criminally responsible. It is like a legal excuse.

Being found not guilty, even in cases of justifications, does not equal no offense.
    Texas SOT

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Well, apparently he didn't break the law if he was acquitted.

'Stand Your Ground' laws, which Florida has, provides that any person may use deadly force when “he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another.”

Homicide is illegal everywhere, but under certain conditions it can be found to have been justified.

He broke a law by killing him, but another law says that he was justified in his breaking of the previous law which is why he was acquitted.

And "Stand your ground" laws mean that if you are in a place you have the legal right to be you do not have to retreat. The use of force laws state that he can use deadly force to stop or prevent deadly force.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Homicide is illegal everywhere, but under certain conditions it can be found to have been justified.

He broke a law by killing him, but another law says that he was justified in his breaking of the previous law which is why he was acquitted.

And "Stand your ground" laws mean that if you are in a place you have the legal right to be you do not have to retreat. The use of force laws state that he can use deadly force to stop or prevent deadly force.

Nice explanation

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Why do you suppose he wants to do that? Is it like itchn was saying? They are turning this into a race thing? So if we don't like Obama, we are called racist, but Obama and friends can turn a self defense case into a racial circus? That's just sick.

The media and Obama turned it racial a long time ago. The media started reporting this as "white man shoots unarmed black teen." Obama came out not long after with "if I had a son, he'd look like Treyvon". Sanford's police chief refused to arrest Zimmerman and the lead detective on the case didn't recommend it because there was NO EVIDENCE that this was anything but justifiable homicide. So the city sacked the chief and the detective is now a patrolman... The county DA didn't want to bring charges, even after this became a media feeding frenzy. What DA wouldn't bring a case in circumstances like that if there was a chance of winning?

Obama put pressure, and the governor appointed a special prosecutor just to stick it to Zimmerman.

This trial, this entire media frenzy has been about one thing: making a big deal out of absolutely nothing. Media played it for ratings, Obama and other politicians played it to divide and conquer.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    The media and Obama turned it racial a long time ago. The media started reporting this as "white man shoots unarmed black teen." Obama came out not long after with "if I had a son, he'd look like Treyvon". Sanford's police chief refused to arrest Zimmerman and the lead detective on the case didn't recommend it because there was NO EVIDENCE that this was anything but justifiable homicide. So the city sacked the chief and the detective is now a patrolman... The county DA didn't want to bring charges, even after this became a media feeding frenzy. What DA wouldn't bring a case in circumstances like that if there was a chance of winning?

Obama put pressure, and the governor appointed a special prosecutor just to stick it to Zimmerman.

This trial, this entire media frenzy has been about one thing: making a big deal out of absolutely nothing. Media played it for ratings, Obama and other politicians played it to divide and conquer.

This is exactly what I am reading up on right now. It really bugs me to be informed about this. So I guess the verdict is a bigger triumph than I ever thought it was, for that reason. What a country we live in where this is allowed to happen. Thanks for sharing that with me.

The reason why I stopped listening in the first place was I also looked at it as a guy who was getting beat up by a black guy and killed him in defense. SO I thought, why is it getting so much media time. Wish I would have paid attention just a little longer.

Time to get back to reading and catching up on this whole thing. Thanks all for updating and correcting me.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    He jumps to everything else-what's taking him so long now? Bin Laden, trash talking the anti-gun bill results, trash talking Z....that's just the few that jump right to mind.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    So with the not guilty verdict I noticed my Facebook was full of disappointed former coworkers from the Dallas area. Here's the thing though, a not guilty doesn't presumably mean "innocent". Do I think Zimmerman was in the right? Not completely. Do I think there was enough evidence to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt? No. And that's what it came down to. I think they tried to try this case in the court of public opinion and he was already found guilty (by the president amongst other people) and so his life is presumably ruined for the foreseeable future, but the fact is that there wasn't evidence there that could be presented that this man "murdered" Trayvon Martin. A lost life is a lost life and that is tragic, especially considering the age, but there's still no clear story as to what "exactly" happened that night and without that there's always the one thing that the prosecution is battling, and that is the element of doubt.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That seemed to be the correct verdict. Martin acted like a thug and paid the price for it. Zimmerman's life is in ruins and he's hopelessly in debt. People will be out there trying to kill him. No one really won, here.

Flash

Top Bottom