• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Wow, the prosecutor is tearing H-27 up.....

Don't you have a vested interest if you donated money for Zimmerman's defense? Shouldn't you have mentioned it in the "What questions didn't we ask you" question?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    :cool: No comment.

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense
    Facebook: Law of Self Defense

Yeah, you are going to fit in just fine here.
    lol_2.gif

Hope you hang around and participate in some of our other discussions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Six Wrap-Up

Hey folks,

I just posted up the end-of-day wrap-up for day six of jury selection in the Zimmerman case, available at Legal Insurrection here: Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Six Wrap-Up.

There were two notable jurors of the day:

H13 seemed to feel that the fact that Zimmerman was armed, even though lawfully, at the time of the incident suggested some wrongdoing on his part. Clearly, his being armed made her uncomfortable. She also recalled having "lived through" other racially-tinged riots, such as the Rodney King riots (albeit it seems she was not physically present at those riots, but knew of them from media reports). The most shocking of her comments, however, was when she noted that her present recollection was that Zimmerman had followed Martin against police orders. Asked if she would be able to reconsider that opinion if she heard evidence in court to the contrary she answers "I don't think I could be open to that." H13 was dismissed by the Court.

(For a thorough debunking of the false "Zimmerman followed Martin against police orders" narrative, click here: Zimmerman Trial: Myth Busters: Did Zimmerman “chase” Martin against police orders?)

H27 was well-informed about the case, and could recall hearing the various police recordings and other details. It has been a striking consistency that the prospective jurors who have appeared to learn in favor of Zimmerman have tended to be well-informed about the facts of the case, whereas prospective jurors who have seemed to lean against Zimmerman have professed an almost coma-like ignorance of the facts of the case. During questioning by de la Rionda H27 volunteered that he had contributed $20 to George Zimmerman's legal defense fund, but nevertheless said he could be a fair and impartial juror. H27 was ultimately dismissed by the Court.

For all the juicy details, click here: Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Six Wrap-Up.

Following the wrap-up of prospective juror voir dire the court recessed, only to return to complete the Frye hearing that had been left unfinished the week prior to the start of jury selection. For more on that, click here:

Zimmerman Trial: Frye Hearing Continues with Prof. James L. Wayman.

Tomorrow we'll do another full day of live stream, all-day coverage of day seven of jury selection. Be sure to join us.

Best,

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Boston, MA
    The Five Principles of the Law of Self Defense

Hey folks,

Well, we're gearing up for Day 7 of jury selection. It's amazing to think that we've spent all this time with the jurors and we're still only doing the preliminary voir dire, limited to asking questions about pre-trial publicity. If it takes an hour to get through a jury on that basis, and sometimes it has, how long is it going to take when the lawyers are doing an unlimited voir dire?

In any case, I thought it might be useful to take a moment, lift our heads from the weeds of jury selection and specific factual matters, and take a brief 30,000 foot view of the trial.

I've posted at some length about the State's challenges in proving the charge of murder in the second degree (can't be done, in my opinion), or manslaughter.

As to manslaughter, petty much anytime you deliberately use any force against someone and they die it's going to be manslaughter--UNLESS you have some lawful justification.

And that's where Zimmerman's legal defense of self-defense will come into play.

A few days ago I put up a "self-defense backgrounder" post over at Legal Insurrection, but I don't believe I've mentioned it here so many of you might not have seen it.

The post covers the four main Florida self-defense related statutes I expect to be relevant in this case, and the statutory criminal charges in play (murder and manslaughter).

I also present a conceptual framework, "The Five Principles of the Law of Self-Defense," to guide our ongoing assessment of how successfully (or not) the State is making its case to disprove, beyond a reasonable doubt, Zimmerman's claim to have acted in lawful self-defense.

Enjoy!

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Myth Busters: Did Zimmerman “Chase Down” a Fleeing Martin?

Hey folks,

One of the enduring myths of the falsified public narrative promulgated by the State prosecutors and other anti-Zimmerman zealots has been that George Zimmerman “chased down” a frightened Trayvon Martin who was simply attempting to secure the safety of his destination (his father’s girlfriend’s home in at the Retreat at Twin Lakes neighborhood.

Is that what really happened? Or is George Zimmerman’s recounting more credible and consistent with the facts in evidence?

Take a look at my latest fact-based "myth busters" installment, and decide for yourselves: Myth Busters: Did Zimmerman “Chase Down” a Fleeing Martin?

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    So over a week to pick a jury all because of the media hype. The funding here isn't as good so the trial won't last as long as OJ's big trial, right?

I'm amazed jury selection is taking this long. I wouldn't think laying out the case and evidence from each side should take too long either, but the way this is shaping up, the kids will be back in school before we hear a verdict.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Goal of 40 Prospective Jurors for Full Voir Dire Achieved

Hey folks,

I just posted up the end-of-day wrap-up for day 7 of jury selection in the Zimmerman case, available at Legal Insurrection here: Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Seven Wrap-Up.

The biggest news of the day is that the Court's goal of selecting 40 prospective jurors to go on to the next round of full voir dire has been achieved, and Judge Nelson dismissed the jurors who did not make it through the first round of questioning. The lucky winners are:

B12, B29, B35, B37, B51, B61, B7, B72, B76, B86, E13, E22, E28, E40, E54, E6, E73, G14, G29, G47, G63, G66, G81, H18, H29, H35, H6, H69, H7, H81, H86, I19, I24, I33, I44, K80, K95, M75, P67, I5.

We’ll be posting a compilation of our notes for each of these 40 in post coming soon.

The announcement of the successful candidate jurors having been announced, we saw a relatively rare appearance by Prosecutor Angela Corey, when she stepped to the front of the court room and directed the courthouse personnel in arranging the chairs for the jurors tomorrow morning.

For all the juicy details, click here: Zimmerman Jury Selection -- Day Seven Wrap-Up.

Tomorrow we'll do another full day of live stream, all-day coverage of day eight of jury selection, the "Full Voir Dire Edition". Be sure to join us.

Best,

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Zimmerman Trial: Never seen a juror questionnaire before? Here you go . . .

Hey folks,

As we’ve been watching the preliminary voir dire of dozens of prospective jurors over the past week or so, we’ve heard innumerable mentions of a “juror questionnaire.”* This is simply a list of questions, agreed to by both parties and the Court, which the jurors are asked to complete in writing before being questioned in voir dire.* Their answers help the Court and parties quickly identify prospective jurors who must be dismissed as a matter of course–for example, if they are related to or have a business interest with one of the parties.

Their answers can also shed a subtle but discerning light on any prejudices they might bring to the trial that could prevent them from serving as a fair and impartial juror.* Some of these questions often seem completely irrelevant to the case at hand–such as, “Please list your 3 favorite TV shows,” or “Please list the 3 people you admire most/least”–but to a skilled jury consultant the responses to these questions can provide a deep insight into the prospective jurors covert prejudices.

The defense has retained the services of a world-class jury consultant, and I have obtained a sample of a jury questionnaire he used in a previous murder case (a rather bizarre one, actually, State v. Durst).* If you’ve never before had the opportunity to see a juror questionnaire, now's your chance, as the court advances the 40 "winning" jurors into the next round of full voir dire.

Enjoy.

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense
    Facebook:* Law of Self Defense

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Zimmerman Jury Selection: Day 8--Live streaming, all-day coverage

Hey folks,

Just FYI, Day 8 of jury selection has just kicked into gear.Our live, all-day coverage can be found at Legal Insurrection here, if you're interested in following along.

At end-of-day yesterday Judge Nelson announced that the Court had achieved its goal of selecting the "top 40" prospective jurors who are to "advance to the next round". The "lucky winners" are:

B7, B12, B29, B35, B37, B51, B61, B72, B76, B86, E6, E13, E22, E28, E40, E54, E73, G14, G29, G47, G63, G66, G81, H6, H7, H18, H29, H35, H69, H81, H86, I5, I19, I24, I33, I44, K80, K95, M75, P67​

We've pulled together a compilation of all our notes on the lucky winners over at Legal Insurrection here: Zimmerman Jury Selection Profiles- “Top 40″ Advanced to Next Round.

We'll also be doing our usual end-of-day summary of events.* I'll drop a brief note when that's up, for folks who are interested.

Andrew
    @LawSelfDefense

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Political correctness trial and a sad commentary on our modern society this has been a bad event from beginning to end no justice to be seen here, IMO never should have come to a trial.

Top Bottom