Not open for further replies.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I'm no preacher man, but I was raised to "hate the sin, love the sinner." Seems quite different than "kill the non-believer."
    this but nowhere in my book that says be a fool either. I profile every one and everything. Nowhere in my book says
    that you can't defend your self. Hate the sin . But you try to kill me its every man for himself.
    God makes the final call
    Target Sports

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I'm no preacher man, but I was raised to "hate the sin, love the sinner." Seems quite different than "kill the non-believer."

But allowing gays in church which the bible is very clear about being a sin is OK huh? I really wonder some times if people actually read the bible. Its almost as brutal as the quran. Stoning people, beating your wife, etc. Actually read the text you supposedly follow and youll see Christianity and islam arent all that different if you follow the bible to the T and dont use some new progressive pastor's interpretation of it. I was raised Christian but moved on after I realized the hypocrisy of the bible and its followers who pick and choose what they follow. These "radical" muslims are simply following the quran to the T and these moderate muslims are simply picking and choosing what to follow just like their christian counterparts.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    But allowing gays in church which the bible is very clear about being a sin is OK huh? I really wonder some times if people actually read the bible. Its almost as brutal as the quran. Stoning people, beating your wife, etc. Actually read the text you supposedly follow and youll see Christianity and islam arent all that different if you follow the bible to the T and dont use some new progressive pastor's interpretation of it. I was raised Christian but moved on after I realized the hypocrisy of the bible and its followers who pick and choose what they follow. These "radical" muslims are simply following the quran to the T and these moderate muslims are simply picking and choosing what to follow just like their christian counterparts.
    Im only posting now as you are misrepresenting biblical Christianity. Im sorry you had a bad experience with church and those who call themselves Christians. I dont disregard that at all and in my youth I had bad experience with church as well.

Stoning for adultery is not Christianity. In fact that is described precisely in John 8. People say only God can judge. Yes but we are called to discern good from bad behavior and Jesus did rebuke the adulterer and told her to "go forth and sin no more". That is Christianity. Forgiveness not condemnation under Mosaic law which is what the crowd wanted.

Thats all im saying. Will watch from the cheap seats. PM me if anyone would like to continue the discussion.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im only posting now as you are misrepresenting biblical Christianity. Im sorry you had a bad experience with church and those who call themselves Christians. I dont disregard that at all and in my youth I had bad experience with church as well.

Stoning for adultery is not Christianity. In fact that is described precisely in John 8. People say only God can judge. Yes but we are called to discern good from bad behavior and Jesus did rebuke the adulterer and told her to "go forth and sin no more". That is Christianity. Forgiveness not condemnation under Mosaic law which is what the crowd wanted.

Thats all im saying. Will watch from the cheap seats. PM me if anyone would like to continue the discussion.

Like you I enjoy a good debate. I actually read the bible cover to cover in my early teens and thus was the end of my going to church. There was simply too many contradictions and in my opinion BS to follow that religion. The catholic church is responsible for millions of deaths yet islam is suddenly barbaric. It makes no sense to me. Id love for someone to explain the differences to me. I have plenty of friends who are religious and have had this discussion with them on many occasions. I can disagree while still respecting someone. At the end of the day theres no way to prove one way or the other theres a guy up in the sky controlling all of us but it is always a good catalyst for a debate.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas

Well said

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Like you I enjoy a good debate. I actually read the bible cover to cover in my early teens and thus was the end of my going to church. There was simply too many contradictions and in my opinion BS to follow that religion. The catholic church is responsible for millions of deaths yet islam is suddenly barbaric. It makes no sense to me. Id love for someone to explain the differences to me. I have plenty of friends who are religious and have had this discussion with them on many occasions. I can disagree while still respecting someone. At the end of the day theres no way to prove one way or the other theres a guy up in the sky controlling all of us but it is always a good catalyst for a debate.

I'll try to respond without getting religious.

Reading the bible without an understanding of of Latin vulgate and its translation from Aramaic/Ancient Greek/ ancient Hebrew, without any direction from biblical scholars, and without asking for guidance from the Holy Spirit is inherently problematic.

What people "think" they know vs reality is usually a further jump than they recognize until they've taken on some serious scholarship into both the Bible and the history of western civilization.

I'll try to draw a gun analogy...
    It's like having a drunk conversation with your buddy about calibers or weapons platforms without having ever shot them, ever trained with them, and ever been in a real life situation where they had to be used. It's all uneducated conjecture.

I'm not saying this to belittle anyone. I'm saying this because I see all sorts of opinions flying around w little true understanding.

Just my 2 cents.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Gonna break the rules here. Ban me if you want...

If you really truly open your heart God will lead you down the right path in life and provide as much understanding as you need to fulfill His will. No one knows it all but the pursuit is worth the effort.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle

Reading the bible without an understanding of of Latin vulgate and its translation from Aramaic/Ancient Greek/ ancient Hebrew, without any direction from biblical scholars, and without asking for guidance from the Holy Spirit is inherently problematic.

What people "think" they know vs reality is usually a further jump than they recognize until they've taken on some serious scholarship into both the Bible and the history of western civilization.

It's like having a drunk conversation with your buddy about calibers or weapons platforms without having ever shot them, ever trained with them, and ever been in a real life situation where they had to be used. It's all uneducated conjecture.

I'm not saying this to belittle anyone. I'm saying this because I see all sorts of opinions flying around w little true understanding.

Just my 2 cents.
    So the motivational speakers who call thenselves preachers are more qualified? Not saying all preachers are motivational speakers BTW, but many use the corporate motivational speaker mold and sprinkle in some religious words and call it a sermon. Im not a latin scholar and certainly reading the old text is more difficult than the king james version but its not impossible for us mere mortals.
    Gonna break the rules here. Ban me if you want...

If you really truly open your heart God will lead you down the right path in life and provide as much understanding as you need to fulfill His will. No one knows it all but the pursuit is worth the effort.
    When did that rule come into effect? I understand the reasoning why but honestly hadnt realized it was now taboo. Man a lot has changed on this site since it was sold. I was afraid of this when they sold out but i realize the reason they did. No big deal.

Back to your regularly scheduled muslim hating lol.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014

Just my 2 cents.
    I think this is on the right course. You have to look at it in a historical perspective. Christianity today is not the same as it was back then. I'd be willing to bet no religion is quite the same as its inception. Only way to know is to study it and world history.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I think this is on the right course. You have to look at it in a historical perspective. Christianity today is not the same as it was back then. I'd be willing to bet no religion is quite the same as its inception. Only way to know is to study it and world history.

Studying the Dark Ages would be a good start

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So many opinions were changes in all the previous debates on this same subject, so glad we get another.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Studying the Dark Ages would be a good start

We can start anywhere yall want.

The only thing that saved western civilization during the Dark Ages was the Catholic church. The monastic bent of the church was what allowed civilization to survive after Rome fell by the barbarians as well. In the absence of government these self sufficient communities continued to be centers of learning, knowledge and history.

Saint Patrick's work in Ireland is probably a big reason why we didn't lose western civilization and history.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Oh and they fed everyone around the monasteries and gave them jobs so there wasn't rampant starvation and unemployment.

Damn Catholics, bunch of illuminati killers
    /sarcasm

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    We can start anywhere yall want.

The only thing that saved western civilization during the Dark Ages was the Catholic church. The monastic bent of the church was what allowed civilization to survive after Rome fell by the barbarians as well. In the absence of government these self sufficient communities continued to be centers of learning, knowledge and history.

Saint Patrick's work in Ireland is probably a big reason why we didn't lose western civilization and history.

I suppose that all depends on your perspective. I suppose the catholic churchs persecution of scientists is a myth and that Galileo wasnt actually convicted of heresy or that it took 300 years for the catholic church to admit it was wrong for the conviction of galileo? You cant pick and choose sir.

Darth_Nuruodo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Houston
    I suppose that all depends on your perspective. I suppose the catholic churchs persecution of scientists is a myth and that Galileo wasnt actually convicted of heresy or that it took 300 years for the catholic church to admit it was wrong for the conviction of galileo? You cant pick and choose sir.

Exactly. They would likely pick and choose to ignore the Arabic speaking world's history of higher learning in addition to all the old warring mentality and infighting. There are two sides to every coin and many facets to any group of people and their history.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Exactly. They would likely pick and choose to ignore the Arabic speaking world's history of higher learning in addition to all the old warring mentality and infighting. There are two sides to every coin and many facets to any group of people and their history.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yes our friend forgets about the Lighthouse of Alexandria that is actually accredited with the preservation of much of the western worlds knowledge. That the lighthouse was actually where many scholars went to learn in that era.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It depends on your knowledge and study of the facts - not perspective.

Galileo and other scientists were funded by the church. Anti-science bent is a huge myth.

Ironically, Galileo was held in contempt because of his LACK of scientific method. During his time there was not scientific evidence to support his theory over the contemporary theory. The church asked that he not hold it up as fact because it had not been proven. They allowed him (and PAID for) more of his research as long as he did not state it was fact without proof and agree that he only had a theory.

During his trial he even stayed with a bishop and was treated to very nice accommodations - not a jail cell.

FACTS - they matter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member