• Status
    Not open for further replies.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Please cite a source for the last sentence.

Almost all scientists and artisans were supported by the church or the various monarchies at that time. I don't have a receipt but that is widely accepted fact. I could probably dig something up if I wasn't on my iphone.

A quick search yielded a Wikipedia article so when i get to a computer I'll find a better one. I hate citing Wikipedia as gospel.

Id still like to see where the catholic church funded his experiments. Only way I can see it is they funded a university where he taught and by proxy he was funded. I've never read anything that directly linked the catholic church funding his astronomy research. He was quite the brilliant man and had his fingers in a lot of cookie jars so it wouldnt surprise me if the catholic church funded some of his research in other fields.

I also wasnt able to find anything about the lighthouse contents being destroyed in 300ad but I'm also searching from my phone while trying to keep the guise up that I'm actually working at work.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The Jesuits are Catholic. They were very much his friends.

Understood, and to the best of my memory the jesuits head honcho told the ones that sympathized with Galileo that theyd better stick to arguing for aristotles theory. Ill find a better source in a little bit.

I am glad we're able to talk about old history like this. Its one of my favorite subjects, i suppose all the unknown of the old world and how different things were hold a big allure with me. I also was very boring as a child until I got a car and discovered girls. Back then discovery, TLC, and the history channel actually had programming that coincided with their namesake and I was glued to it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I don't know that any of this discussion proves anything though.

I openly admit there were PEOPLE within the church that made mistakes over the centuries. But the full story is always much more nuanced than the newsbytes we hear regurgitated.

The crusades are great examples. People have to understand the different political powers and trade of the time, etc. There was all sorts of fighting between the pope and kings who named bishops without authority, etc. You had Christian countries warring with each other too. It was not nearly as simple as people make it out to be.

It certainly wasn't as simple as saying Christians or Muslims were completely wrong and heinous.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Many Christians pick and choose what they want out of the bible. How are the Muslims any different as far as that goes?

That's true. There's been plenty of Christian violence and control over the last several hundred years. That stated... ALL crazies of any ethnic, religious or other group intent on harming others or infringing on their freedoms must be dealt with. I don't care what or who they are.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I will say this. Any Christians who claim to slaughter innocents in the name of God are not doing His will.

Just because someone calls them self Christian or even Catholic doesn't make it so. If you look at Pelosi and Biden they aren't Catholic no matter what they claim since they support abortion. They are apostate and should be excommunicated.

Darth_Nuruodo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Houston
    I will say this. Any Christians who claim to slaughter innocents in the name of God are not doing His will.

Just because someone calls them self Christian or even Catholic doesn't make it so. If you look at Pelosi and Biden they aren't Catholic no matter what they claim since they support abortion. They are apostate and should be excommunicated.

This is exactly what most Muslims say, nearly word for word yet people yell every day that "mainstream" or "moderate" members need to decry or publicly condemn the radicals.

I don't have to apologize as a white male every time one of the crazies snaps and kills a bunch of people or molests a bunch of kids (let's be honest, the number of spree killers or serial predators that fit my demographic is as high or higher than the number of radicals in the 1.6 billion Muslims in the world), because I'm not one of them and people understand that the crazies don't represent the group as a whole.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I agree. I am just as outraged when they find a pedophile priest. But I'm not going to be holding press conferences to condemn them. I just figure people know that's the 1% of INDIVIDUALS in the church that need to be dealt with.

I assume it's the same thing with bad cops. Except they're way worse!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    This is exactly what most Muslims say, nearly word for word yet people yell every day that "mainstream" or "moderate" members need to decry or publicly condemn the radicals.

+1000

As for the earlier post about "IIRC only 2 mosques in the US condemned the ____ attack", how do you know how many mosques condemned an attack? Just because two made it to the media doesn't mean only two condemned it. Not every religious community mosque has a camera crew and social media presence to decry terrorist attacks.

I will never apologize for any terrorist attack committed by any "Muslim".

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I agree. I am just as outraged when they find a pedophile priest. But I'm not going to be holding press conferences to condemn them. I just figure people know that's the 1% of INDIVIDUALS in the church that need to be dealt with.

I assume it's the same thing with bad cops. Except they're way worse!
    this rule applies to all races don't it

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom