• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yes our friend forgets about the Lighthouse of Alexandria that is actually accredited with the preservation of much of the western worlds knowledge. That the lighthouse was actually where many scholars went to learn in that era.

Wasn't that destroyed right before the dark ages? Not sure how it could be destroyed and simultaneously carry western civilizations history through the dark ages.

Could be wrong. I'll look it up when I get home.
    Texas SOT

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    It depends on your knowledge and study of the facts - not perspective.

Galileo and other scientists were funded by the church. Anti-science bent is a huge myth.

Ironically, Galileo was held in contempt because of his LACK of scientific method. During his time there was not scientific evidence to support his theory over the contemporary theory. The church asked that he not hold it up as fact because it had not been proven. They allowed him (and PAID for) more of his research as long as he did not state it was fact without proof and agree that he only had a theory.

During his trial he even stayed with a bishop and was treated to very nice accommodations - not a jail cell.

FACTS - they matter.

That is true facts do matter but some of yours are wrong.

You see I kind of bated you into talking about Galileo as I've written few papers on the man for various research projects throughout school. He did in fact prove heliocentrism with the teleacope hes largerly accredited with inventing(even though it was actually a dutch lens maker). During his trial he was actually on house arrest and the Jesuits actually confirmed his findings. He was friendly with Piccolomini but he was not imprisoned at the archbishops residence.

As you say, facts matter. I assure you that while i am very opinionated, that opinion isnt formed out of ignorance.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Wasn't that destroyed right before the dark ages? Not sure how it could be destroyed and simultaneously carry western civilizations history through the dark ages.

Could be wrong. I'll look it up when I get home.

No it was destroyed in 1303 and 1323 by earthquakes then in a 100 or so years later a king buily a fort out of it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That is true facts do matter but some of yours are wrong.

You see I kind of bated you into talking about Galileo as I've written few papers on the man for various research projects throughout school. He did in fact prove heliocentrism with the teleacope hes largerly accredited with inventing(even though it was actually a dutch lens maker). During his trial he was actually on house arrest and the Jesuits actually confirmed his findings. He was friendly with Piccolomini but he was not imprisoned at the archbishops residence.

As you say, facts matter. I assure you that while i am very opinionated, that opinion isnt formed out of ignorance.

He did not prove it during his trial. He validated it as a plausible competing theory.

Now a days we know he was right given the additional proof we have.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The lighthouse was a library. So same difference i suppose but its officially refered to as a lighthouse as it did serve as a loghthouse being on the coast and all with light at the top.
    Come on now thats like calling a 1.1x scope a 1x! :)

The library was destroyed hundreds of years before the lighthouse. Ancient history has sketchy details. Pretty crazy how stuff could be so wildly important and so well known and lost to history.

Off to watch Chariots of the gods!

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    He did not prove it during his trial. He validated it as a plausible competing theory.

Now a days we know he was right given the additional proof we have.

The Jesuits even confirmed his findings but were told by the church to back the Aristotle belief that the church believed. Where are you gettinf your info from?

His research for heliocentrism was not funded by the church. In fact he had trouble almost his entire life getting funding. Youre not getting your info from catholic.com are you?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Come on now thats like calling a 1.1x scope a 1x! :)

The library was destroyed hundreds of years before the lighthouse. Ancient history has sketchy details. Pretty crazy how stuff could be so wildly important and so well known and lost to history.

Off to watch Chariots of the gods!
    I dont recall anything like that. It was built a couple hundred years BC and was damaged throughout its existence by earthquakes but was repaired after each until the 1300s quakes that toppled a large portion of it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The Jesuits even confirmed his findings but were told by the church to back the Aristotle belief that the church believed. Where are you gettinf your info from?

His research for heliocentrism was not funded by the church. In fact he had trouble almost his entire life getting funding. Youre not getting your info from catholic.com are you?

The Jesuits confirmed it was plausible not that it was more than theory.

You didn't answer my funding question.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The Jesuits confirmed it was plausible not that it was more than theory.

You didn't answer my funding question.
    You know he was a big professor for many years and was funded by multiple entities for advancements in other areas besides astronomy. I am not sure where or how much funding he got from the church. If you could provide a citation for that, that would be great. Please dont cite anything off the catholic websites as their rendition of history is greatly skewed compared to other party's texts.

The Jesuits never officially published anything because they were catholic scientists and were told during the trial to support Aristotle.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I dont recall anything like that. It was built a couple hundred years BC and was damaged throughout its existence by earthquakes but was repaired after each until the 1300s quakes that toppled a large portion of it.
    The library or more accurately, the contents of the library were destroyed around 300 AD. The lighthouse was destroyed/fell apart from 1000-1300ish. So I guess I can upgrade my hundreds of years comment to a full thousand years.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The church was a benefactor to him before the trial.

It's also important to note that many of his contemporary scientist s did not see heliocentric model as more than a theory as well.

He was like OCT - being a jackass and pushing it further than was warranted into people's faces as fact.

ETA: the church should have been less heavy handed in censuring him though. That basically what they apologized for later.

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The library or more accurately, the contents of the library were destroyed around 300 AD. The lighthouse was destroyed/fell apart from 1000-1300ish. So I guess I can upgrade my hundreds of years comment to a full thousand years.

If the contents were destroyed in 300 why rebuild in 700 and 900 when it was badly damaged by earthquakes? During that time it was not serving as a fort so there had to be a reason to keep it repaired.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The church was a benefactor to him before the trial.

It's also important to note that many of his contemporary scientist s did not see heliocentric model as more than a theory as well.

He was like OCT - being a jackass and pushing it further than was warranted into people's faces as fact.

Where did you get the church funding information? In all the research I've done on the man I've never read that the catholic church was a friend of his.

No doubt his personality was abrasive and did not sit well with many.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You know he was a big professor for many years and was funded by multiple entities for advancements in other areas besides astronomy. I am not sure where or how much funding he got from the church. If you could provide a citation for that, that would be great. Please dont cite anything off the catholic websites as their rendition of history is greatly skewed compared to other party's texts.

The Jesuits never officially published anything because they were catholic scientists and were told during the trial to support Aristotle.

Please cite a source for the last sentence.

Almost all scientists and artisans were supported by the church or the various monarchies at that time. I don't have a receipt but that is widely accepted fact. I could probably dig something up if I wasn't on my iphone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom