• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hot Damn!!! - got an invite to go next weekend after next (after Hicksville of course) to South TX. Going down Thursday - get to hunt the afternoon, Friday and Saturday morning. Get to play with some pointers too, trying to get them steady on quail - no shooting yet. Apparently they've got more than they have in years. FIL went down last weekend and said, just driving around, they flushed 6 coveys in an hour.

How far south? I'll be at the family ranch Sunday evening...
    Target Sports

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Shot my limit in 90 mins last night. My hunting buddy brought all the birds in before she had too much vino.

Tried Blain's recipe and was very happy, although I'm still not sure how he got them to look absolutely perfect. Dude must work at KFD.

ebehunem.jpg

rara5ave.jpg

yvepe3yt.jpg

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Not even gonna lie here. Went yesterday evening, first time for me. I'm not an experienced bird hunter by any means but man, I'm addicted. Just gotta get my technique down. Three of these were mine and took me a box and a half of shells but I'm not complaining, the shooting was half the fun.

48c68c45af8b540ba797992a390d7bbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Not even gonna lie here. Went yesterday evening, first time for me. I'm not an experienced bird hunter by any means but man, I'm addicted. Just gotta get my technique down. Three of these were mine and took me a box and a half of shells but I'm not complaining, the shooting was half the fun.

48c68c45af8b540ba797992a390d7bbb.jpg

I have way more fun dove hunting than deer hunting. Stay with it....good thing shells are cheap..

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Limit today. Things were going nuts in South TX. Took about an hour and a half. It's always good when you're packing your stuff up before closing time.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Limit today. Things were going nuts in South TX. Took about an hour and a half. It's always good when you're packing your stuff up before closing time.

Did you make it to your friends place? Be safe on the road back home. My buddy from Ft worth is coming down Sunday and we are heading out Sunday evening to the ranch for 6 days and nights of dove and hog hunting. We will have plenty of time for gun and rifle target shooting. We might even head out to falcon lake for some fishing. No cell service at the ranch so I'll post pics when I get back.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

Nice. I think we're done here in the north zone. Still seeing birds but all in town (Midland). Thousands of them. But out on a buddy's ranch last night nothing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Nice. I think we're done here in the north zone. Still seeing birds but all in town (Midland). Thousands of them. But out on a buddy's ranch last night nothing.

We just drove around looking for quail and deer yesterday until about 5:00 PM. Unfortunately the peaks on the Isolunar app didn't coincide with daylight hours in the morning, and too damn early in the afternoon. Wind was blowing out of the South at close to 30 mph which made the shooting, umm, challenging. Still got eight more and some decent dog work in.

On with the pics. Turkeys anyone? There was a flock of at least 60 I counted between the "Big House" and a fence line. Turkey feeders filled with Milo, Quail feeders and deer feeders.
    IMG_07421_zps99aa16ba.jpg

Where I was hunting. Mojo worked great - doves would be going downwind doing Mach 8, stop and flare at it - or just go to the bank to pick up some grit.
    IMG_07481_zps03dbe401.jpg

And, of course, there has to be a dog pic. She did great on Friday with some good water retrieves. Saturday neither my dog or FIL's field champion dog (he's running her in the English Cocker national field trial championships - so she's really, really good) could smell the birds worth a damn. I shot one bird she didn't see, we went over to look for it and she was looking at me with the bird right under her legs - oh well. She was sitting on that chair quivering with excitement in the 91 degree heat.
    IMG_00931_zpscd72658b.jpg

Top Bottom