• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussblade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    While i dont have my ccw yet (gotta get wife a gun of her own, then get it together), i have an opinion on the "chambered" portion. I was at a gun show in houston, and one of the people there signing people up for ccw did a demo. took a mock gun and told the guy to stick it in his pocket. He did. The instructor then went behind him, grabbed one of his arms, and kinda twisted it (in a fashion that if he kept going it would break his arm). He said, now your arm is broken, pull your gun and chamber it. Because of that, my glock stays chambered. while i cannot carry in public, it is with me when i leave the house, concealed in my vehicle. If im at a friends, or family's, and i have permission (i always do) i have it on my person, chambered.

On a side note, i have noticed, while i am carrying, the glock 21 is pretty damn heavy, and hard to conceal without printing. I have a VERY small build. 5"9" and 135lbs. Any suggestions for the futuree when i get my ccw.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    While i dont have my ccw yet (gotta get wife a gun of her own, then get it together), i have an opinion on the "chambered" portion. I was at a gun show in houston, and one of the people there signing people up for ccw did a demo. took a mock gun and told the guy to stick it in his pocket. He did. The instructor then went behind him, grabbed one of his arms, and kinda twisted it (in a fashion that if he kept going it would break his arm). He said, now your arm is broken, pull your gun and chamber it. Because of that, my glock stays chambered. while i cannot carry in public, it is with me when i leave the house, concealed in my vehicle. If im at a friends, or family's, and i have permission (i always do) i have it on my person, chambered.

On a side note, i have noticed, while i am carrying, the glock 21 is pretty damn heavy, and hard to conceal without printing. I have a VERY small build. 5"9" and 135lbs. Any suggestions for the futuree when i get my ccw.

With a proper holster you should bendable to conceal that 21. One of my favorite Glocks.

As a side note, it is not legal for you to carry at a friends or family even with permission without a CHL. You would be OK if you have control of the premises. Yes, I realize the odds of a LEO even discovering you carrying there are minuscule. I am writing strictly from a point of view of legality.

Welcome to the forum.

ussblade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for the warning. Mostly at my mothers house, out in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the welcome :)

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    CHL since 1996. Dont even remember much except we all had those gay fanny packs for the first couple months.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2

XDM-DFW-BIKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    first time carrying you do the turkey walk trying to be discreet but with the right holster (I have a mintaur comp-tac for XDM) and wear it at 2:30 with no printing. The more you do it the easier it becomes and the less self conscious you become.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    @XDM-DFW-BIKER: what/s your height/weight? If I may be so bold. Just curious as AIWB seems a good idea but I'm not exactly small(5'11"/230 currently). And wonder how it works with driving/sitting.

XDM-DFW-BIKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm 6'3" and 215lb. SItting taakes a little getting used to the stick in my hip but the leather around the barrel softens the impact quite a bit.

Ricardo Cranium

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Cedar Park
    I used to be real self conscious about squatting down for things on the bottom shelf at the store.

After doing it a few times surrounded by people and nobody giving a rat ass I quite worrying about it.

Now that winter has set in I tend to keep my shirt tucked behind the grip when I have my jacket on. Considering trying out the XDm 4.5 but I only have an uncle mikes IWB and I doubt it would be comfortable for all day wear.

Younggun,
    Did you ever start carrying your XDm 4.5? If so what holster do you use? Getting my CHL and she is going to be my carry and haven't yet decided on my IWB. I'm thinking Old Faithful or CrossBreed...

azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    I honestly have had my CHL for a few weeks now but havent carried regularly yet...just been so paranoid about someone seeing it and making a big deal about it. I know its just something I have to get used to

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    My boss is pro guns and believes anyone legally capable-should. So I've been experimenting while at the shop and on some jobsites just to see what works and what doesn't until my plastic gets here. I was happy to find that a regular leather IWB holster with a fullsize 1911 lets me carry without buying bigger pants. Buuuut-that handle can get abrasive at times. I'm getting used to it though. Its also given me time to try out different shirts. I've had a few times where I walked out thinking a shirt was good to go, just to have problems with it once I'm working.

I would much rather be learning all this where I'm around 6 people max who are all understanding of what I'm trying to do, instead of learning things while at walmart or a movie theatre.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    I bought a decent AIWB holster that fully covers the trigger guard a couple of weeks before my CHL showed up. I took the opportunity to put it on and get used to it while doing chores around the house, and did some dry-practice daily for the first week, and weekly ever since then. My rig is so comfortable that sometimes I forget that I've got a P99QA with the muzzle pointed at my left testicle. I've got no problem with a round in the chamber. However, I train rigorously for proper trigger finger discipline, and to slowly and deliberately look into the holster to verify no clothing or obstructions can grab the trigger while re-holstering.

Beyond that, the way modern striker-fired pistols are built, if I experienced enough g forces to cause the weapon do discharge on it's own without pulling the trigger, it would be fair to say I would already have been made a meat-puzzle, so it's moot.

caleb7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    I've had my license for just over 2 months now. The first time I carried it, I was at the food court at the Parkdale Mall in Beaumont. Walking in, I felt like everyone in the building was staring at me. I was afraid sitting down would expose my ccw entirely, but had to anyway, and even went to the restroom to adjust my holster and tighten my belt. Two months later, whenever I go to work, even though its only 5-6 hours, I feel like a piece of me is missing having to leave it in the car during my shift because a tucked in shirt is part of the dress code. The thought of going back to college in the fall is driving me insane with the realization that the only time I'll be able to carry is when I get an excuse to drive into town for some errands, consisting of no more than an hour or two each week or so during the school year. I'm almost going to hate my life.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:
    Top Bottom