• Total voters

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    It seams that this thread did prove something. The most over rated rifle round is the one you don't like while the best is the one you do like. I don't think I will get in line to be shot with any of them. My requirements are simple, ammo availability when things are bad. That knocks a lot of them out of the needing to own.
    Capitol Armory ad

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Every cartridge is over hyped, that's the marketing part of the industry. There isn't a universal cartridge, they all go bang (with good ammo). I like the variety and I want at least 1 of everything. As for all of you snobs, you don't know what you are missing by focusing on just a few cartridges in focused calibers.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Be sure to swing by the "Introductions" thread and share your story...

postal

Old gun guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    St Paul/San Antonio
    I have a model 94 that was neglected by previous owner. $50 gun.
    Threaded the muzzle, cut back the magazine 3/4", refinished the gun in black oxide to hide the pits (and cerakote antique bronze on the receiver) and the wood got a hand rubbed tung oil finish. Add a .30 cal can and it's a blast to shoot- pretty quiet too. And Sub-Sonic loads are easy to load (but Trail Boss powder not so easy to find!).
    Useful? Sort of, but fun. Like my old Trapdoor. Fun.
    As with the nfa toys I own......useful? Maybe, but hope it doesn't come to that.
    But they're fun!
    Have a couple ARs in Blackout too. Whisper quiet with a can on the end.....and quite useful as coyote (and the larger variety that we have too many if in Minnesota!).

But they're all fun. And ain't that what it's about?

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Yes sir there sure is. The .277 Fury I believe is what they’re calling it.

Basically a 270-08 in a new fancy case loaded to some very high pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's pretty close to .243 wssm iirc

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Yes sir there sure is. The .277 Fury I believe is what they’re calling it.

Basically a 270-08 in a new fancy case loaded to some very high pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 6.8 was too large for the M-16 bolt and too energetic for the the receiver. If they put it in the AR-10, it would be great. The .277 is too much for the typical troops....

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    87C98B77-A485-42E8-9A34-45E9E78999A7.jpeg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The 6.8 was too large for the M-16 bolt and too energetic for the the receiver. If they put it in the AR-10, it would be great. The .277 is too much for the typical troops....
    That’s why they went with the Sig M7, or are supposed to be transitioning to. There will be a training load that uses typical brass cased ammo at lower pressure, and combat ammunition which uses the high pressure ammo with stainless steel case head.

I don’t know how many, if any have actually entered service. There’s supposed to be a new Lake City plant loading ammunition for it already with more on the way.

The intent is to have a round that can negate the effects of body armor used by peer adversaries (Russia/China).

Civilian version is indeed .277 Fury, but IIRC no standard civilian ammo will be loaded to the pressures of military combat ammunition, regardless of having the characteristic stainless case head.

All that said, I won’t be shocked at all if nothing actually comes of it.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    That’s why they went with the Sig M7, or are supposed to be transitioning to. There will be a training load that uses typical brass cased ammo at lower pressure, and combat ammunition which uses the high pressure ammo with stainless steel case head.

I don’t know how many, if any have actually entered service. There’s supposed to be a new Lake City plant loading ammunition for it already with more on the way.

The intent is to have a round that can negate the effects of body armor used by peer adversaries (Russia/China).

Civilian version is indeed .277 Fury, but IIRC no standard civilian ammo will be loaded to the pressures of military combat ammunition, regardless of having the characteristic stainless case head.

All that said, I won’t be shocked at all if nothing actually comes of it.

The overpressure and increased wear & recoil is why .277 Fury should never have been in the M7 platform. Use 6.8SPC on the M7 platform, and you'll achieve the same increases in a much more reasonable cartridge.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The overpressure and increased wear & recoil is why .277 Fury should never have been in the M7 platform. Use 6.8SPC on the M7 platform, and you'll achieve the same increases in a much more reasonable cartridge.
    There’s just no way the 6.8SPC would have the same ballistic and terminal performance as MilSpec .277 combat ammunition. The .277 will definitely offer better performance.

As for recoil: From comments I’ve seen from people who’ve been able to fire the new rifle, they say it’s not bad. They shot ammo with the stainless casehead, but I don’t know if it was loaded to military or civilian specs.

The thing that got my attention was the weight of the rifle. It wasn’t anything insane, but it was still a noticeable increase over an M4. But the MG version is also noticeably lighter than a 240B so there’s that I guess.

35 Whelen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    What are y’all’s thoughts on the most over rated cartridge? Mine is the 7mm Rem mag…not a whole lot of gain over the 270/280/3006, while using more powder and producing more recoil.

Hands down the .223 Remington/5.56. When I was growing up it was considered a medium range varmint cartridge and a short range deer cartridge with the right bullets, pretty much the same as the .222. Then along comes the AR Fan Boi's and now it's perfect for just about everything short of anti-aircraft.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hands down the .223 Remington/5.56. When I was growing up it was considered a medium range varmint cartridge and a short range deer cartridge with the right bullets, pretty much the same as the .222. Then along comes the AR Fan Boi's and now it's perfect for just about everything short of anti-aircraft.
    What’s the bullet weight range for .222 Remington?

35 Whelen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Nah, unless you custom build you aren’t getting the needed twist rate for any of the heavier loads.

That’s why .222 is a dead Fudd cartridge.

Re-read my original post-

Hands down the .223 Remington/5.56. When I was growing up it was considered a medium range varmint cartridge and a short range deer cartridge with the right bullets, pretty much the same as the .222. At the time they were both considered medium range varmint cartridges and the rifles offered had similar twist rates. So if one can change the twist rate of the .223/5.56, then they can also change the twist rate of the .222 Remington.

But you are right, the .222 is a dead cartridge. The funny things is, when the 5.56 is inevitably replaced by the military there will be a new generation of Fan Boi's and they'll look back, laughing at the guys who couldn't shoot their AR's without wearing gloves and who thought the "five-five-six" was a great long range cartridge.

Top Bottom