• Vote for one!

• Total voters

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Hands down the .223 Remington/5.56. When I was growing up it was considered a medium range varmint cartridge and a short range deer cartridge with the right bullets, pretty much the same as the .222. Then along comes the AR Fan Boi's and now it's perfect for just about everything short of anti-aircraft.
    Odd, considering it was developed for military use from the very beginning
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Competitions, not completions. And no, it's the exact opposite of tacti-cool weekend warriors, large magazines and high visibility targets. I was going to explain the discipline and principles of High Power here, but if you don't know what it is, then you probably have no interest in learning what it is.
    My point was that in said competition competitors use the 5.56 at 600 yds., but at that range a .224" bullet, regardless of weight, isn't much more than something with which to poke a hole in a piece of paper.
    And is the goal of the competition to pole holes in a piece of paper?

35 Whelen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    And is the goal of the competition to pole holes in a piece of paper?

Yes, which requires a high level of marksmanship and the principles thereof. No benches or supports of any kind, other than a sling. If you're interested, read up. But this to me is the opposite of tacti-cool, i.e.- running and emptying magazines at close range targets.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Why is it odd to you that the commercial version of the 5.56 is considered a medium range varmint cartridge and short range deer cartridge?

It was called the .223 Remington before it was called the 5.56. The military bought it as the .223 before they bought it as the 5.56

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yes, which requires a high level of marksmanship and the principles thereof. No benches or supports of any kind, other than a sling. If you're interested, read up. But this to me is the opposite of tacti-cool, i.e.- running and emptying magazines at close range targets.
    Then why is it a problem that .223 is being used?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It was called the .223 Remington before it was called the 5.56. The military bought it as the .223 before they bought it as the 5.56
    Yep. 5.56 came about because it doesn’t technically adhere to SAAMI specs. But I’m all practical purposes they are the same.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    5.56 came about because those EU NATO fags could not figure out the Imperial system.
    This isn’t really correct.

Forgotten Weapons has a video that gets in to it. But 5.56 can’t be labeled as .223 for various reasons relating to minor changes during its military history. Giving it a metric name can probably be blamed on NATO, but not the reason for having a different name.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    This isn’t really correct.

Forgotten Weapons has a .........
    Woooosh, it's called puffing*

*Puffing is generally an expression or exaggeration made by a person that concerns the quality of goods or facts. It presents opinions rather than facts to entice a buyer or person into accepting a falsehood as correct. Such statements as "this car is in great shape" proceeded by " I am not going to lie" constitute puffing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Woooosh, it's called puffing*

*Puffing is generally an expression or exaggeration made by a person that concerns the quality of goods or facts. It presents opinions rather than facts to entice a buyer or person into accepting a falsehood as correct. Such statements as "this car is in great shape" proceeded by " I am not going to lie" constitute puffing.
    Well, you’re welcome to puff whatever makes you happy.

I’ll just stick to the facts.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'm proud of who I am. If you closed minded people don't like it, I might rage quit. I wouldn't mind a wildcat like an Ackley improved 6.5 CM - but mine just seems to have the cartridges slide right into the chamber. Extraction is a problem. It's inconsistent in pulling out, you really have to be aggressive about pulling the bolt out for full ejection. I'm just saying, that's my gun - yours might be different.
    You probably need to disassemble the bolt. Ejection spring could be full of brass flakes. This is common with hot loads

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I voted 30 carbine nothin like a powder puff round in a rifle.

25-06 deserves a mention here. Ton of powder capacity, pushing a small bullet really fast and flat is great. It just didn’t have the twist rate to stabilize long projectiles.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I voted 30 carbine nothin like a powder puff round in a rifle.

25-06 deserves a mention here. Ton of powder capacity, pushing a small bullet really fast and flat is great. It just didn’t have the twist rate to stabilize long projectiles.
    They never made long or heavy projectiles for the 1/4 bore but they do now.
    You need a faster twist barrel but it's doable.
    Side note: Heavy bullets aren't needed for killing animals or hitting targets. And inside of 500 yards technically the threshold is 600 yards but they add zero ovrerall performance.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    They never made long or heavy projectiles for the 1/4 bore but they do now.
    You need a faster twist barrel but it's doable.
    Side note: Heavy bullets aren't needed for killing animals or hitting targets.
    Neither are center fire cartridges. But they can make it a lot more consistent.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom