• ...and so much more!
  • Vote for one!

• Total voters

RaySendero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    US South
    I the list was long, so ran out of options (there is NO other).
    But when I went to vote, I realized I didn't need any "Other".
    For me it was hard choice between the WSSMs, the 30-M1 carbine and the .378 Wby.
    I've never had a use for any of the WSSMs
    Won't ever use the 30-M1 for deer again!

So voted for 378 Wby.
    I have no use for it (African BG & DG covered with a 9.3x62 and 458WM).
    And way more recoil than 375 HH with little to no benefit.
    Military Camp

RaySendero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    US South
    PS: I was surprised how often the 7mm Rem Mag kept showing up in the research.
    I would never have considered it "The Most Over Rated".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Re-read my original post-

Hands down the .223 Remington/5.56. When I was growing up it was considered a medium range varmint cartridge and a short range deer cartridge with the right bullets, pretty much the same as the .222. At the time they were both considered medium range varmint cartridges and the rifles offered had similar twist rates. So if one can change the twist rate of the .223/5.56, then they can also change the twist rate of the .222 Remington.

But you are right, the .222 is a dead cartridge. The funny things is, when the 5.56 is inevitably replaced by the military there will be a new generation of Fan Boi's and they'll look back, laughing at the guys who couldn't shoot their AR's without wearing gloves and who thought the "five-five-six" was a great long range cartridge.
    Who thinks that?

I’ve seen people who enjoy running .223/5.56 out to 500-700 yards because it’s about the cheapest way to venture in to longer range shooting. But never heard anyone say it’s a “great long range cartridge”. Price is really the thing .223/5.56 has going for it and what has spurred its popularity. Otherwise the vast majority of ARs would be chambered in something else.

It kind of sounds like your a little upset about .222 being left in the dust.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    22 HMR. Must be underrated. Never heard of it.
    If you’ve never heard of it can it really be most overrated?

Best thing about this argument is that for something to be overrated a lot a people have to really like it. Makes it really annoying for some people that love it. And really fun for those of us who dgaf, lol.

TxRiverman

Lord Master and Commander
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2023
    Central Texas
    Hands down the .223 Remington/5.56. When I was growing up it was considered a medium range varmint cartridge and a short range deer cartridge with the right bullets, pretty much the same as the .222. Then along comes the AR Fan Boi's and now it's perfect for just about everything short of anti-aircraft.
    I agree. The .223/5.56 is junk for anything outside of varmit hunting

35 Whelen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Who thinks that?

I’ve seen people who enjoy running .223/5.56 out to 500-700 yards because it’s about the cheapest way to venture in to longer range shooting. But never heard anyone say it’s a “great long range cartridge”. Price is really the thing .223/5.56 has going for it and what has spurred its popularity. Otherwise the vast majority of ARs would be chambered in something else.

It kind of sounds like your a little upset about .222 being left in the dust.

Have you never attended a High Power competition?

I have no love for the .222 and compared it to the 5.56 for no other reason than the two are similar in size and performance.

I guess my point is the silly love for the 5.56 is simply because of the AR platform.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Have you never attended a High Power competition?

I have no love for the .222 and compared it to the 5.56 for no other reason than the two are similar in size and performance.

I guess my point is the silly love for the 5.56 is simply because of the AR platform.
    No, I don’t go to high power completions. Nothing but a bunch a tacticool weekend warriors there that think hitting a high vis stationary target has any bearing in real life.

As far as the AR platform…it’s more because the military adapted the AR-10 platform until they ended up with the e M-16 leading to loads of cheap surplus ammo in 5.56, which is effectively the same thing as .223. So yeah, in a way it’s due to the AR. But more because of price effects. If .223 was $1.50 for plinking it wouldn’t any more popular than other AR cartridges.

6.5 Creedmoor. It's like creators built a religious shrine for idiots that dream of shooting critters in the next county.

True. The only rifle anyone really needs is a good 30-06 in a traditional wood stock.

The rest is just tacticool crap for the keyboard commandos.

TxRiverman

Lord Master and Commander
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2023
    Central Texas
    True. The only rifle anyone really needs is a good 30-06 in a traditional wood stock.
    The only good thing about woods stocks are that they can be used as firewood in case you get lost. Other than that, woods stocks are like the 30-30, antiquated and useless

35 Whelen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    No, I don’t go to high power completions. Nothing but a bunch a tacticool weekend warriors there that think hitting a high vis stationary target has any bearing in real life.

As far as the AR platform…it’s more because the military adapted the AR-10 platform until they ended up with the e M-16 leading to loads of cheap surplus ammo in 5.56, which is effectively the same thing as .223. So yeah, in a way it’s due to the AR. But more because of price effects. If .223 was $1.50 for plinking it wouldn’t any more popular than other AR cartridges.

The rest is just tacticool crap for the keyboard commandos.

Competitions, not completions. And no, it's the exact opposite of tacti-cool weekend warriors, large magazines and high visibility targets. I was going to explain the discipline and principles of High Power here, but if you don't know what it is, then you probably have no interest in learning what it is.
    My point was that in said competition competitors use the 5.56 at 600 yds., but at that range a .224" bullet, regardless of weight, isn't much more than something with which to poke a hole in a piece of paper.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom