Military Camp

Please talk me out of buying a 6.5 creedmoor.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I've been looking for a rifle for my youngest daughter to take her first deer with.

I've decided to keep the rifles that my son and middle daughter used to take thier first. ( A Ruger ranch is 7.62x39 for my son, CVA single shot 7mm-08 for my daughter)
    So I'll need another good youth sized rifle, preferably with a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed.
    My youngest is very small framed. So I was leaning towards 243 but I recently found a decent looking bolt gun in 6.5 creedmoor.

I reload for a 260 I already own but it's way too heavy for her. However, I'll have plenty of 264 projectiles.

Here are the 2 rifles I've been looking at

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/t-c-compass-rifles/t-c-compass-ii-compact

https://cva.com/product/cascade-short-barrel-cerakote-graphite-black-veil-tac-black/

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    No reason not to own one its already been proven a better cartridge than the 308 tho so many can't grasp the science part of it. I don't own one because I just don't want one if I did I'd get a 260 Remington. The 260 can be made with one pass on a 308 or 243 case.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I won’t talk you out of it, I think it’s an excellent caliber for what you want, but don’t think in a super-light rifle it won’t have any recoil. My Savage Axis II weighs in at around 9lbs with optic and it’s got more snap than 5.56 in an AR. Probably closer to shooting 300BLK and that’s in a bipod with a good and weighty optic.

I’d encourage you to consider something like an Axis II but in a heavier, adjustable stock like the Boyd’s AT-ONE.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    No way would I try and talk you out of it! It's a great cartridge. Gently recoil, very accurate, and with the right bullets should have no problem taking a deer. I think it would make a great first center-fire rifle for your daughter.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I won’t talk you out of it, I think it’s an excellent caliber for what you want, but don’t think in a super-light rifle it won’t have any recoil. My Savage Axis II weighs in at around 9lbs with optic and it’s got more snap than 5.56 in an AR. Probably closer to shooting 300BLK and that’s in a bipod with a good and weighty optic.

I’d encourage you to consider something like an Axis II but in a heavier, adjustable stock like the Boyd’s AT-ONE.
    Thanks. Sometimes I need a weight reminder. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs and recoil isn't a big factor for me. Heh i enjoyed working up loads for my 338 win mag.

My son is recoil sensitive, it took him much longer to get comfortable with my 7mm-08.
    My middle daughter, all i had to say was
    "Your brother couldn't handle the recoil" and she shouldered up and shot like a champ.

I've found that shooting suppressed helped a bunch. Not sure if it was the weight, or if it acted like a brake as well.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not a hunter, won't try to talk you out of anything, and should probably keep my mouth shut. However, when you said...

I'll need another good youth sized rifle, preferably with a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed.

...I couldn't help but think of this:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Great caliber. You might also want to look at 7-08.

No luck finding anyone round here to talk you out of it. I prefer the 6.5x55, but the commercial loadings in the creedmore make it attractive.
    I do like the 7mm-08.

My cousin has a 6.5x55 that he used as a kid. His dad chopped and taped the stock to reduce the LOP. He still shoots it as an adult. You can see the seam where he reattached the wood butt stock.

6.5x55 is a great recommendation. I'll put that in my list of alternatives.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thanks. Sometimes I need a weight reminder. …
    Not sure if it was the weight, or if it acted like a brake as well.
    A little but of both, I’ll bet. And don’t forget some people also associate the noise signal with recoil so that may have been a contributor.

Not knowing your kids, one primary reason I like the AT-ONE is the adjustability for LOP and comb height as they grow or between shooters.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm not a hunter, won't try to talk you out of anything, and should probably keep my mouth shut. However, when you said...

That is super nice. Didn't know I needed a bolt action in x39.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston

That's a great recommendation.

I almost bought this as my son's hunting rifle at Collectors Firearms a few years ago.
    Ended up going with the Ruger ranch in 7.62x39, no regrets it's accurate but not as classy.

Have you felt the single set trigger on the CZ rifles?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Have you felt the single set trigger on the CZ rifles?
    Yes. I own one of these with the wood stock and no threading. I've had it ever since they were introduced. That set trigger is very, very nice when working deliberately. It's very light and crisp for a field piece, though I've never measured the pull weight.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Not knowing your kids, one primary reason I like the AT-ONE is the adjustability for LOP and comb height as they grow or between shooters.

I've seen the At-One stock with a Howa mini and liked it. Teaching children it's important that they have a good cheek weld for setting up on a scope. And length of pull is a big deal because she is so small.

I'm really liking the idea of this stock because I can make it colorful. She will like that.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen

That would make a great rifle for a kid to grow with.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    1650839227022.png

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

I think this is the best suggestion so far....especially in 7.62x39.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom