Guns International

Please talk me out of buying a 6.5 creedmoor.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Wondering if my previous post is not showing up. Garland Academy has 7.62x39 in stock as of right now.

You can buy it online and then pick up in store. Max 4 Boxes. Not sure if that's total or per cailber...
    That stuff shoots good for 7.62x39

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I joke about AKs but 3 moa is good enough for 200 yards on people size stuff.

I'm not gonna call you a liar but I'd wanna see .5moa out of an AK in person, if nothing else but to shake your hand and tell you that you are a better man than I.

I could almost agree on some SKS shoot MOA all day. With proper ammo.

I cant see good enough to shoot MOA any more nor have the equipment or ammo needed to get back there. So I'm jealous.

I had a 700 police in 308 I could shoot .75 moa and on a good day with the right ammo I've seen it shoot half moa. But that's been 25 plus years ago.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I joke about AKs but 3 moa is good enough for 200 yards on people size stuff.

I'm not gonna call you a liar but I'd wanna see .5moa out of an AK in person, if nothing else but to shake your hand and tell you that you are a better man than I.

I could almost agree on some SKS shoot MOA all day. With proper ammo.

I cant see good enough to shoot MOA any more nor have the equipment or ammo needed to get back there. So I'm jealous.

I had a 700 police in 308 I could shoot .75 moa and on a good day with the right ammo I've seen it shoot half moa. But that's been 25 plus years ago.
    I do need to correct myself: the best shooting 7.62x39 I currently have is my cmmg mutant. That’s the one I can hit at 425 very well. The saiga was almost as good. No offense taken. I was really happy seeing what I could do lol. I never pushed that round out that far before. You’re welcome to put rounds down range with me anytime.

69ChevelleLSX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    Texas
    $3 that’s how much it will cost each time you shoot one round. Unless you reload. I have a 6.5 Remington 700 R5 only have that because the .308 wasn’t available.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    $3 that’s how much it will cost each time you shoot one round. Unless you reload. I have a 6.5 Remington 700 R5 only have that because the .308 wasn’t available.

OP says he reloads and has components necessary on hand. Even then, that’s not what it costs me shoot 6.5cm factory loads…a little time and you can find it for sub $1.50/rd.

DaleMc

Cowboy Action Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Round Rock
    I've been looking for a rifle for my youngest daughter to take her first deer with.

I've decided to keep the rifles that my son and middle daughter used to take thier first. ( A Ruger ranch is 7.62x39 for my son, CVA single shot 7mm-08 for my daughter)
    So I'll need another good youth sized rifle, preferably with a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed.
    My youngest is very small framed. So I was leaning towards 243 but I recently found a decent looking bolt gun in 6.5 creedmoor.

I reload for a 260 I already own but it's way too heavy for her. However, I'll have plenty of 264 projectiles.

Here are the 2 rifles I've been looking at

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/t-c-compass-rifles/t-c-compass-ii-compact

https://cva.com/product/cascade-short-barrel-cerakote-graphite-black-veil-tac-black/

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    I am only speaking from personal use. I bought a new Savage 4 years ago and put a nice Leopold Scope on it. It took the place of my 30.06 for deer hunting. My shots were all under 200 yards at the ranch I hunt. I killed 5 deer a year legally here in Texas for the last 3 years with one shot kills. I love the 6.5 and it will be my go to rifle going forward. It is very accurate and has long range capabilities and no kick if needed. The only thing I see is that you will probably take it away from your daughter and make it yours. LOL

Firedawgz20

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    White Hall
    First a little background. I own a Tikka T3x TAC A1 & a Ruger American Go Wild Compact (16” barrel) chambered in 6.5 cm.

I have no experience with the 2 rifles you considering.

Of the 12 precession shooters in the Arkansas Patriots 10 use 6.5cm. I have shot a Ruger precession, Remington 700, Savage Axis II, & Custom built AR platforms in this caliber.

Also I do not reload.

Having said all of that, per your request I will do my best to talk you out of buying a rifle chambered in 6.5 creedmoor.

- Do not buy if you want one of the most flat shooting superior ballistic performing cartridges available.

- Do not buy if you wang a low end recoil cartridge

- Do not buy if you want repeatable accuracy from a cartridge using decent rifle & good fundamentals

- Do not buy if you want to enjoy every range visit using a rifle chambered in 6.5cm

Hope this feedback helps in your decision making process.

P.S. Of the rifles I have personally used that closest fits your goal is the Ruger American Go Wild Compact. I have achieved sub MOA at 200 yards with Vortex Diamondback Tactical & Hornady 140gr ELD Match.

bearinguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2022
    MN
    I've been looking for a rifle for my youngest daughter to take her first deer with.

I've decided to keep the rifles that my son and middle daughter used to take thier first. ( A Ruger ranch is 7.62x39 for my son, CVA single shot 7mm-08 for my daughter)
    So I'll need another good youth sized rifle, preferably with a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed.
    My youngest is very small framed. So I was leaning towards 243 but I recently found a decent looking bolt gun in 6.5 creedmoor.

I reload for a 260 I already own but it's way too heavy for her. However, I'll have plenty of 264 projectiles.

Here are the 2 rifles I've been looking at

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/t-c-compass-rifles/t-c-compass-ii-compact

https://cva.com/product/cascade-short-barrel-cerakote-graphite-black-veil-tac-black/

I have a stainless T/C Encore that I originally bought with the .50 cal black powder barrel. Then a friend asked me to go prairie dog hunting years ago, and I really didn't have a rifle at the time for that, so I bought a .223 heavy barrel for the Encore. A few years ago the firing pin broke, kinda funny it would still fire as the pieces were contained in the "tunnel" where it was. The gunsmith I took it to made a titanium firing pin for me and I also had him do a trigger job on it. HOLY FREJOLES is that thing nice!!!! I resisted the urge to go for a .204 or a .17, etc., and two years ago I got a prairie dog with the Encore at over 450 yards. So now I have a great rifle that I can change to whatever caliber I want that is offered by T/C and others, Bergara for example. It's a single shot break open action, and while it might be a little long for her now, she would grow into it and could in the future get whatever barrels and pistol stocks and barrels she wants. I would get her the .243 now and see how she does with that. It's a great caliber, and like .223, .30-06, .308 and some others, is available nearly everywhere even now.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I'm not a hunter, won't try to talk you out of anything, and should probably keep my mouth shut. However, when you said...

...I couldn't help but think of this:

Old Ben has a good eye! CZ rock solid and the removable magazine is a big nice safety itemfor a new shooter/hunter

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    First a little background. I own a Tikka T3x TAC A1 & a Ruger American Go Wild Compact (16” barrel) chambered in 6.5 cm.

I have no experience with the 2 rifles you considering.

Of the 12 precession shooters in the Arkansas Patriots 10 use 6.5cm. I have shot a Ruger precession, Remington 700, Savage Axis II, & Custom built AR platforms in this caliber.

Also I do not reload.

Having said all of that, per your request I will do my best to talk you out of buying a rifle chambered in 6.5 creedmoor.

- Do not buy if you want one of the most flat shooting superior ballistic performing cartridges available.

- Do not buy if you wang a low end recoil cartridge

- Do not buy if you want repeatable accuracy from a cartridge using decent rifle & good fundamentals

- Do not buy if you want to enjoy every range visit using a rifle chambered in 6.5cm

Hope this feedback helps in your decision making process.

P.S. Of the rifles I have personally used that closest fits your goal is the Ruger American Go Wild Compact. I have achieved sub MOA at 200 yards with Vortex Diamondback Tactical & Hornady 140gr ELD Match.

I think most of your reasons "not to" buy apply to the caliber not so much the cartridge.

My 260 is flat shooting, low recoil, accurate and fun to shoot. And ones with the added benefit of easy to make brass. my daughter's 7mm-08 brass mostly all gets resized to 260 rem.

The CM has the advantage over 260 on that it can seat longer heavier bullets because the case is shorter.

Mostly I've been against the 6.5 CM because it's just the latest and greatest and would require me to add another caliber to my reloading bench. However, the cartridge has become so popular i don't think it can be avoided, it fits so well with my needs and is very available.

That go wild compact rifle looks perfect. And i believe you on its accuracy. My son's Ruger American ranch is very accurate. And even shoots well with steel cased ammo.

ShadyOaksGunRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    I would not recommend 7mm-08 for a small stature or child unless you want to create a bad flinching habit. For youth, I would stay with 243. 6.5 CM is expensive and not readily available. Inside 400 yards a 308 with a good break will get the job done with no ammunition procurement drama. When the kiddies get older, they can make the exotic investments. Stay with 308 or 243, but a break or suppressor on it. The Deer will be none the wiser and your kids will develop better shooting skills not to mention your wallet will be heavier.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I would not recommend 7mm-08 for a small stature or child unless you want to create a bad flinching habit. For youth, I would stay with 243. 6.5 CM is expensive and not readily available. Inside 400 yards a 308 with a good break will get the job done with no ammunition procurement drama. When the kiddies get older, they can make the exotic investments. Stay with 308 or 243, but a break or suppressor on it. The Deer will be none the wiser and your kids will develop better shooting skills not to mention your wallet will be heavier.
    I'll agree with the 7mm-08 recoil and flinch comment. My older daughter is tough, throws shotput at her JR high. She handles the 7-08 just fine. My youngest is 4'11" and well under 100#.

I'd have to disagree with the 308 recommendation. It's going to recoil around 20% worse than the 7-08.
    I have been seeing 308 ammo everywhere. But not the reduced recoil loads i bought for the 7mm-08.

Top Bottom