• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfwpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Or they watched the same video we all did, and for political expediency they fired the cop in an effort to quell "protests" from the "peaceful" activists that spent much of the last two years burning down cities in the name of a violent felon who was dying from fentanyl overdose.

This would probably be exactly the reason. Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few in some people’s minds, and why not sacrifice one lamb to “protect” the flock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    *presumably* the officer fears being ran over, or being dragged by the car which any reasonable person would believe could cause serious bodily injury or death and so the officer fires the initial rounds.
    *Presumably* if an armed but unknown person jerks open my car door any reasonable person would believe they intend me serious bodily injury or death and so I'm justified in using any level of force to extricate myself from the situation.

I think "Part 1" will be a bigger problem than you seem to think.

Generally, the person who unjustifiably initiates the use of force or menacing behavior is the bad guy, right?

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I’m surprised that the nature of the alleged crime committed has not been mentioned. It has a significant impact on how amped the officer would be and lends to the seriousness (or lack thereof) of an escape.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I’m surprised that the nature of the alleged crime committed has not been mentioned. It has a significant impact on how amped the officer would be and lends to the seriousness (or lack thereof) of an escape.

Felony suspect - probably going to be more amped than dealing with a jaywalker or shoplifter at Walmart.

dfwpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Felony suspect - probably going to be more amped than dealing with a jaywalker or shoplifter at Walmart.

Should be “amped” for all of this, as this happened not long ago when officer lost his life at a Wal-Mart and partner was wounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure how an off-the-cuff evaluation of another's actions based on case law as I know it after watching a video once makes me a terrible leo, but OK.

Now, enough about me...

Where did the interaction go from justified to unjustified in your opinion?

With reasonable suspicion the officer is justified in detaining the subjects and opening the door. No announcement is legally required.

In the course of a detention the officer was justified in having the subject exit the car with a very low standard of justification. A blanket "Officer safety" doesn't cut it, but "he matched the description of a person who had just evaded and I didn't want him in the car where he could evade again" does as does "I wanted to conduct the investigation away from the other occupants".

The officer is standing in the V of the open door as the driver puts the vehicle into reverse, cuts the wheel and quickly reverses striking the officer or nearly so.

*presumably* the officer fears being ran over, or being dragged by the car which any reasonable person would believe could cause serious bodily injury or death and so the officer fires the initial rounds.

Can we call all that part 1?

Part two:

The driver puts the car into drive and turns right, away from the officer and begins driving away and the officer fires a second volley into the car.

Part 1 seems pretty OK based on case law (tactics are not part of that judgement), but I have some major questions about part 2.

Break it down for me with what you saw.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Ok… on a legal stand point. I get it. He didn’t do anything illegal.

But dang man, his horrible tactics overshadowed any legal standpoint.

How would you have processed that situation?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok… on a legal stand point. I get it. He didn’t do anything illegal.

But dang man, his horrible tactics overshadowed any legal standpoint.

How would you have processed that situation?
    I don't think anyone has argued that his tactics weren't bad. Before he even touched that car's door, that was apparent.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Or they watched the same video we all did, and for political expediency they fired the cop in an effort to quell "protests" from the "peaceful" activists that spent much of the last two years burning down cities in the name of a violent felon who was dying from fentanyl overdose.

Y’all greatly overestimate the City of San Antonio’s propensity to give a shit about the optics of an LEO involved shooting.

This outstanding example is the norm around here.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Y’all greatly overestimate the City of San Antonio’s propensity to give a shit about the optics of an LEO involved shooting.

Wait - so the paralyzed guy shoots first, hitting the off duty cop six times - the off duty cop returns fire, and that's bad?

I get giving him some days off for him drinking to excess - and I have to wonder, if he was "unfit to report for duty" because of his alcohol consumption, is that an indicator he was likewise over the limit for driving?

Maybe its just poor reporting - but in that incident I can't see the "wrong" behavior on the off duty guy's part. If what they report he said is accurate, he's not exactly wrong. Walker was an idiot for following him into a parking lot. Maybe the alcohol was responsible for the poor judgement of getting out of his car when someone followed him into the lot too - but it seems that a shitbird kinda fucked around and found out - he found out what its like to get around like Greg Abbott.

Reactions: Eli

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Wait - so the paralyzed guy shoots first, hitting the off duty cop six times - the off duty cop returns fire, and that's bad? .
    The cop (not in uniform) was drunk, leaving a police union party. Cop then started a road rage incident and followed the driver into the parking lot where cop tried to initiate a traffic stop despite being off duty, drunk, out of uniform, and the instigator of the incident.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Also, same SAPD cop arrested for hit and run DUI last year.

And assaulted the guy who’s car he hit.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

From the article...

"Off-duty officers are prohibited from drinking to an extent that renders them unfit to report for duty."

Is this typical for all departments?

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The cop (not in uniform) was drunk, leaving a police union party. Cop then started a road rage incident and followed the driver into the parking lot where cop tried to initiate a traffic stop despite being off duty, drunk, out of uniform, and the instigator of the incident.

The article didn't include any of that. It said Rios had cut the guy off on the highway and then Walker followed him into a parking lot. Neither the article nor the video alluded to him initiating a traffic stop. Was Rios driving a department vehicle during this incident, or his personal car?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The article didn't include any of that. It said Rios had cut the guy off on the highway and then Walker followed him into a parking lot. Neither the article nor the video alluded to him initiating a traffic stop. Was Rios driving a department vehicle during this incident, or his personal car?

Personal car.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Also, same SAPD cop arrested for hit and run DUI last year.

And assaulted the guy who’s car he hit.

How the hell is he still employed? SAPD must have one hell of a union.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I think the people who fired him damn near immediately know a bit more about the totality of the circumstances than anyone at TGT.
    Or they know he can be sacrificed on the alter of political expediency. If he wins his job back in arbitration they can claim the system is rigged...

There is nothing wrong with watching and evaluating others actions, thinking about what could be done differently or better. It allows us to build neuro pathways so if we (heaven forbid) are put in a like situation we will already have a plan and can do better.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Top Bottom