• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I have a Stoeger coach gun in 12ga. Nice gun but I don’t think I want to shoot it from the hip.

I recently bought a G-force semi-auto for $200 new. I have taken it to the range twice. No failures, low recoil, 5 +1 rounds and has a safety. It’s my go-to for home defense.

jakeintexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2023
    Fort Worth
    Depends on your proficiency. Since you’re asking the question assuming someone who is operating the gun is of limited proficiency.

For simplicity the Stoger coach gun variants are hard to beat. I’d recommend 12 gauge just because the other gauges are more expensive for ammo and tougher to find. If you’re not sure what to use use 00 buck ; low recoil if you like. If you’ve studied a bit you can use something like #4 buck or lower which might suit your particular situation.

The downside of the coach gun is you only get 2 shots before having to reload. But it’s handy.

Double trigger IMO.
    A single trigger gun can have issues. Some of them rely on recoil to cock the second barrel.
    If you have a dud fire the second barrel will not fire either. Also, if the trigger fails, which is unlikely, both barrels are down.
    Double triggers are two separate triggering mechanisms. Each barrel has its own system. If one barrel fails you have another right there.
    Of course you'll need to practice a bit to ensure smoothness on trigger transition.
    This is where a 20ga with plain old WallyMart bird loads wins.
    I’ve 2 coach guns; one with double trigger and one with single. It’s a mechanical system and operates with or without recoil. It’s been infinitely reliable. I actually prefer the single trigger because I don’t have to reposition my trigger finger.

If you are proficient and/or willing to train I’d suggest the mossberg 590 or 500. These have greater capacity and are pumps. The 590 has greater capacity. Both are great guns, but one CAN jam a pump under pressure or by short stroking it. The mossys are about as good as it gets and can be modified with a MAGPUL combo type stock and or forend to aid handling or allow a WML.

One “off the wall” suggestion is one of the Taurus/Rossi circuit court judges loaded with 3” 5 pellet 000 buck. These are essentially revolvers with a blast shield at the flash gap (and handle like revolvers) with a longer barrel and short stock. Taurus made a kind of shorty “tactical” variant which is very compact. You get buckshot and full barrel ballistics with the ability to put an optic on / WML. Although the fiber optic sights are fine. And it functions just like a revolver to include a DA trigger pull. I’ve got one and it works well and is fun to shoot (and can be loaded alternately with 45 Colt as well making it a 45 colt rifle as well as a shotgun — or any combination you want in the 5 charge holes). The only downside is, well, it’s a Taurus and they did have QC issues for awhile.

I’ve shot and had pistol grips (or you can look at something like the shockwave) but IMHO these kinda suck except for specialty situations with a very well trained shooter. They ARE maneuverable at short range and effective, but are VERY difficult to shoot well at longer ranges. A laser sight can help (but the cheap ones will be destroyed by the recoil in time) but I’ve found lasers to be of limited value except in low light situations; all of them will wash out in very bright light or sunlight.

FWIW, capacity IS an issue. You can miss even at ridiculously close ranges with a shotgun when under stress. At typical home defense ranges you're getting a pattern somewhere between a large saucer and dinner plate in most cases.

Good luck !

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Please do not look at the rossi/taurus .410 revolvers seriously.

They are a meme gun that people like to shoot snakes with, despite the fact any other type of firearm will work just as well for that, usually better in fact.

If you decide to stick with a shotgun, you really are going to need to practice with it. Patterning, practicing reloads, etc. .410 costs twice as much as 20 or 12 gauge, so keep that in mind

ShadyOaksGunRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Wowza, Many responses here but not all actually accurate.

First of all, a 5/8OZ 12Ga Mini shell hits with the same energy as qty 2 45ACP 230gr rounds. Not a door breacher, but plenty enough effective for self-defense. Recoil on mini is similar to 20ga and absolutely easy to run than standard 12ga shell.

Secondly, coach guns are an excellent choice, but 20ga and 410 have limited ammunition availability and choices. Not to mention the fact that you have many more 12ga diameter projectile options in a pinch.

Thirdly, Mossberg 500's, 590's, shockwaves, Remington 870's, Winchester Defenders...pump action 18" are all fantastic choices, but the different operations between these choices will impact the experience.

Lastly, stay away from box magazine options, these just add failure points. Stay away from stockless pistol grips because these are wrist tweakers. I don't recommend the lighter weight value priced product, weight is your friend as well as reliable service history.

reach out for more info if needed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Probably gonna catch flak, but I don’t think a shotgun is the answer.

Either vision issues are bad enough to prevent aiming which is a problem than a shotgun can fix, or aiming should still be done.

At the range mentioned the shotgun won’t have enough spread to matter or make up for decreased accuracy.

A double barrel means you only got 2 chances before a long reload.

You get excessive and recoil and muzzle flash.

Why not just go with a pistol caliber carbine? Low recoil, most are pretty simple to operate, good magazine capacity, and fast reloads in the awful but unlikely event you would need more?

JMHO, not my house. Not my life.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    These work well

bestbet.png

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas

First of all, a 5/8OZ 12Ga Mini shell hits with the same energy as qty 2 45ACP 230gr rounds. Not a door breacher, but plenty enough effective for self-defense. Recoil on mini is similar to 20ga and absolutely easy to run than standard 12ga shell.

Secondly, coach guns are an excellent choice, but 20ga and 410 have limited ammunition availability and choices. Not to mention the fact that you have many more 12ga diameter projectile options in a pinch.

Thirdly, Mossberg 500's, 590's, shockwaves, Remington 870's, Winchester Defenders...pump action 18" are all fantastic choices, but the different operations between these choices will impact the experience.

Lastly, stay away from box magazine options, these just add failure points. Stay away from stockless pistol grips because these are wrist tweakers. I don't recommend the lighter weight value priced product, weight is your friend as well as reliable service history.

You couldn't give me a .410, I've shot squirrels out of a tree with them, 10 minutes later the damn thing gets up and runs off.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

1. Did someone say that they were not effective, or lacked sufficient stopping power?

2. “12 ga diameter projectile options”?
    12 ga isn’t a diameter.
    Even if it were, a singular “projectile” of that diameter would be a slug. Not a great choice for in home self defense.

3. Why not a 14” pump action with a brace? Why would that not be a better option,

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

No one said the mini shells weren't enough.

cav2108541

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX
    By close range I mean up to 15 feet.
    Home defense only
    Inflict most hurt possible
    Stock braced against my hip
    Pump, lever, bolt - doesn't matter
    Grab point pull, so always ready to fire
    Safety not a bad idea, if such exists

Any suggestions on a gun, and what load would be good for that distance would be very much appreciated.

WTF? Stock against your hip? Maybe a water hose would be best for you. Indoors at home? If you knew anything, then you would know that the shot won't be spread any wider than your hand at indoor room distances. Think about AIMING.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    WTF? Stock against your hip? Maybe a water hose would be best for you. Indoors at home? If you knew anything, then you would know that the shot won't be spread any wider than your hand at indoor room distances. Think about AIMING.
    If I knew anything.

When there's something I don't know, I come here to ask. Thanks for the info about the spread being as wide as my hand; that will help my decision. :)

Rock Torrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2021
    Tx
    Double triggers are two separate triggering mechanisms. Each barrel has its own system. If one barrel fails you have another right there.

Double triggers are good if you NEVER use another shotgun, and you PRACTICE with it.

You do not want exposed hammers! They may look cool, but they will not help in a self-defense situation and can actually cause problems.

People find it very difficult to switch between double and single triggers due to muscle memory. It is also not as intuitive as pulling the same trigger twice.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    MG - Do a bit of research on shotgun shot patterns and distance. It will give you some real insight as to what works for what. Just know going in, that every gun, and every load will be at least, somewhat different. So just like a pistol or rifle, you'll need to find out what it likes, what you like, and what you like the results of.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom