• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    My first wife was a school teacher, she was constantly buying supplies for "projects". I can't speak to the rest but she barely had adequate supplies to teach. I'm sure it must have started with good intentions but I recall it seemed like a competition to come up with the most creative and "cute" lessons.
    Things like crayons, she taught special Ed and I saw the pathetic little broken pieces of crayon left from the two boxes they allowed her. I spent a fortune in construction paper and paste and glitter and markers and poster board and on and on.
    I raised hell with the school board, they told the teachers stick to the lesson plans. This while they built a new administration building... The reality is sort of in the middle, teachers often are not supplied adequately but they don't really "need" all the crap they ask for either.
    My take is school administrators are less concerned with students or quality of education and much more concerned with power and prestige. YMMV

That said,
    Her students broke my heart and I bought whatever she asked for. Maybe sometime I'll share some of those gut wrenching stories.
    DK Firearms

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first wife was a school teacher, she was constantly buying supplies for "projects". I can't speak to the rest but she barely had adequate supplies to teach. I'm sure it must have started with good intentions but I recall it seemed like a competition to come up with the most creative and "cute" lessons.
    Things like crayons, she taught special Ed and I saw the pathetic little broken pieces of crayon left from the two boxes they allowed her. I spent a fortune in construction paper and paste and glitter and markers and poster board and on and on.
    I raised hell with the school board, they told the teachers stick to the lesson plans. This while they built a new administration building... The reality is sort of in the middle, teachers often are not supplied adequately but they don't really "need" all the crap they ask for either.
    My take is school administrators are less concerned with students or quality of education and much more concerned with power and prestige. YMMV

That said,
    Her students broke my heart and I bought whatever she asked for. Maybe sometime I'll share some of those gut wrenching stories.
    With many things in life, it isn't black or white. It's very grey. Your post paints that picture very well.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I have great respect for teachers, especially the ones who genuinely went far out of their way to help me when I was a kid. They got involved in my life in ways that put themselves at legal risk, and helped anyway. I imagine there's still plenty of those in this world, and they should for certain be supported, and rewarded.

That being said, I think we've swung the needle too far on this whole "poor teacher" and teacher praise idea. So far where the beneficiaries are the ones who weren't all that good to begin with, and the teachers who deserve the attention are stuck being quiet and staying off the radar. They pay isn't bad in some districts either. Starting wage in Conroe ISD is 60k/yr with nothing more than a teaching certificate. Add degrees, certifications, training classes, etc. and it starts adding up pretty well. I don't like being negative, but I do have to ask. Are we getting our money's worth? Kids don't seem to be doing very well academically, even in the "good" schools. In order to be ready for the world parents are spending gobs of money on college prep, tutors, etc.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    When comparing the cost of supplies between teachers and other professions, bear in mind that everyone except teachers gets to pass those costs along to their customers. If I run an auto repair shop and I need consumable supplies, I order them, and then charge my customers for them. Remember that 'miscellaneous shop supplies' charge on your invoice? And IMHO, buying tools is simply a cost of doing business. You can't do your job without them.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I taught high school science for a short time I’m with the teachers on this one. There are a lot of students who can’t afford the supplies. You could easily spend $2-3 grand on little stuff that comes up.
    I’m not aware of other salaried jobs where you have to pay for consumables Out of your own pocket.
    what makes that other peoples responsibility? I’m sure their parents all have the newest iPhone though.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    what makes that other peoples responsibility? I’m sure their parents all have the newest iPhone though.

It makes it no one’s responsibility. But teachers get graded on how their students perform. Plus kids are stupid enough without making it hard for them to learn. Especially the ESL kids I choose to help.

It’s in society’s best interest for them to be as smart and educated as possible.

So a person can decide to lend a hand or not. I had a hand lended a couple times in my life. It made a difference. So I choose to try to make some small difference in some random kids lives.

That’s the awesome thing about America. We get to choose whether we want to help, and whether they deserve the help. The argument can be made for and against. So you do you, and I’ll do me.

But the class I’m sending stuff to is getting a 240 crayon box Tomorrow.

The likelihood that I will ever be affected by any of those kids is minuscule. But at some point they will be out there.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Our local HEB (probably all HEBs) has a screen on the card reader that ask for donations for school supplies.
    I dont know if HEB matches any of the donatons but it does state that 100% goes to suppot area children.

Asking for help does not really bother me. At least not as much as the goventment stealing my money every day of my life.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    It makes it no one’s responsibility. But teachers get graded on how their students perform. Plus kids are stupid enough without making it hard for them to learn. Especially the ESL kids I choose to help.

It’s in society’s best interest for them to be as smart and educated as possible.

So a person can decide to lend a hand or not. I had a hand lended a couple times in my life. It made a difference. So I choose to try to make some small difference in some random kids lives.

That’s the awesome thing about America. We get to choose whether we want to help, and whether they deserve the help. The argument can be made for and against. So you do you, and I’ll do me.

But the class I’m sending stuff to is getting a 240 crayon box Tomorrow.

The likelihood that I will ever be affected by any of those kids is minuscule. But at some point they will be out there.
    We end up promoting the idea that if you neglect your responsibilities then someone else will come along and do it for you. Eventually there becomes more takers than givers, and we can see how that is going.

Your comment about teachers being graded on student performance is a good point, but maybe we would be better off fixing the issue rather than just expecting others to stick a bandaid on it.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    My mother was a teacher back when teachers were actually teachers. Now, a family member is a grade school teacher. She's always talking about the "classroom supplies" she has to buy and how much it costs her.

I asked her what if you didn't buy the supplies, what would happen? She said the kids wouldn't have the stuff they needed to learn.

I asked her that if she didn't buy these things, the kids wouldn't learn enough throughout the school year to advance to the next grade? She wouldn't answer me. About this time, I was getting "that look" from my wife. I backed off but, they knew I was there.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Texas has very high property taxes and the school system receives a large portion of it. The problem is with the bureaucrats that run the school districts. They pay themselves big salaries and the teachers are paid a pittance. Additionally they use our tax dollars to build administration buildings and school campuses that rival universities rather than paying teachers an adequate salary and supplying them the tools needed to teach. Because of this there are few quality teachers available for the job. Who would really want the job of teaching when you are paid nothing and then have to pony up for additional supplies to do the job. The problem is the bureaucrats running the system and their missuses of our tax dollars.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    This gets old.
    They knew they were starting a profession that doesn't pay that well. They get on social media each year this time and post list of things they want and expect other people to buy then because I guess the school won't buy it.

What would be any different for a welder going on Facebook and posting a list of things he needs to start his new job?

Or how about a Nurse, or police officer?

These teachers are even posting their amazon list so you can go there and buy their stuff and send it to their house.

I put both kids thru homeschooling. I paid for everything myself.
    I never ask anyone for anything, I never even thought of it.
    I did this while still paying my school taxes.

I think anyone starting a new job should try this now. Just start posting what you need to start your job and let the bleeding hearts buy your stuff for you

Starting pay is edging towards $70k a year for a part time job.

Top Bottom