• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    School supplies for the teacher and classroom should be paid by the school. That is what all those property taxes are for.

MY kids schools supplies I don't mind paying for. But give me a list and I'll use it as a guide. I'm not buying everything on there unless I know he needs it.

I've seen stacks of unused stuff at the end of the year in my kid's classrooms.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    It makes it no one’s responsibility. But teachers get graded on how their students perform. Plus kids are stupid enough without making it hard for them to learn. Especially the ESL kids I choose to help.

It’s in society’s best interest for them to be as smart and educated as possible.

So a person can decide to lend a hand or not. I had a hand lended a couple times in my life. It made a difference. So I choose to try to make some small difference in some random kids lives.

That’s the awesome thing about America. We get to choose whether we want to help, and whether they deserve the help. The argument can be made for and against. So you do you, and I’ll do me.

But the class I’m sending stuff to is getting a 240 crayon box Tomorrow.

The likelihood that I will ever be affected by any of those kids is minuscule. But at some point they will be out there.

ESL is a scam. The schools get paid 1.5X more for ESL students. So the game is to keep them in ESL as long as possible. Instead of doing a one-year immersion and mainlining the kids they keep them in ESL for YEARS.

Personally, I don't think we owe the spawn of invaders a damn thing, much less a free education.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Not true. My daughter worked full time and worked with special needs children and was only paid $28K. If she would have worked as a teacher she would have been making a little over $40K. This was in West Texas.

On the news and in the paper here around the DFW metromess it's being reported that almost every district has a minimum $66k starting salary...for a part time job.

We left Portland over 9 years ago. When we left the AVERAGE PSD teacher was making $75k a year, with many of them making over $100k.

As as been said, they know what the pay is before they take the job. Taking the job shows they are fine with the pay.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This gets old.
    They knew they were starting a profession that doesn't pay that well. They get on social media each year this time and post list of things they want and expect other people to buy then because I guess the school won't buy it.

What would be any different for a welder going on Facebook and posting a list of things he needs to start his new job?

Or how about a Nurse, or police officer?

These teachers are even posting their amazon list so you can go there and buy their stuff and send it to their house.

I put both kids thru homeschooling. I paid for everything myself.
    I never ask anyone for anything, I never even thought of it.
    I did this while still paying my school taxes.

I think anyone starting a new job should try this now. Just start posting what you need to start your job and let the bleeding hearts buy your stuff for you
    they started doing that years ago my 2nd wife and i had a child in school and the would double the list of her school supplies to be able to outfit the freloaders we told her teachers at a parent teacher meeting we were not going to be supplying alll of her classmates that is was not our responsibility or problem that we would make sure our child had what she needed and that was alll we were going to do

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Teachers knew what they were getting into when they took the job.

It is the school's responsibility to supply the teachers and classroom with what is needed. We property owners pay property taxes, whether we have kids in school or not, and the schools get a huge portion of those taxes. And they squander huge amounts of that money.

It is the parent's responsibility to buy what their kids need. If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    ESL is a scam. The schools get paid 1.5X more for ESL students. So the game is to keep them in ESL as long as possible. Instead of doing a one-year immersion and mainlining the kids they keep them in ESL for YEARS.

Personally, I don't think we owe the spawn of invaders a damn thing, much less a free education.

School districts do get paid extra for the ESL kids. And they have to pay ESL teachers extra for their ability to speak the second language. Mostly it’s Spanish but larger districts have teachers that speak other languages. Heard recently about some African language being spoken in I think Houston.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As a teacher, I guess I can put in my two cents worth. Of course, things are a bit different between grade and high schools compared to higher education.

If the teacher is asking for themselves, I would call BS. I don't see anything wrong with asking for the students. Also, thinking all teachers don't give themselves, is wrong. While I can't speak for all, I don't go out and buy supplies for the students, I do give to scholarships, which could be used to buy supplies.

Usually a school district will lobby for supplies, but depending on the size of the district, individual teachers may ask on their own.

As far as teaching as a job goes, could I have made more money in the oilfields? Undoubtably. I chose teaching, after working as a welder most my life, because that was something I wanted to do ever since college, plus wear and tear on my body was getting old. It's not always about the money, and I'm not complaining. I will say, I like my time off.

One thing I will say is, I don't remember ever having most anything supplied to me going through school, but I didn't grow up around here and I had parents that could supply my things for school.

Give or don't give, frankly I can find much bigger things to bitch about.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Like was mentioned too many free handouts and fairs and drives for any kid to not have supplies.
    Covered in tattoos, $1000 phones, $ 60,000 SUV's to drive to pick up.
    Same as the 'free holiday feeds'.
    You ain’t kidding. There’s a food pantry on Brittmoore that I pass on the way to work. They have cars idling in the right lane stretching 10-12 cars waiting to turn in. A good 1/3 of those are newer and nicer rides than mine. How does that happen?

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    This gets old.
    They knew they were starting a profession that doesn't pay that well. They get on social media each year this time and post list of things they want and expect other people to buy then because I guess the school won't buy it.

What would be any different for a welder going on Facebook and posting a list of things he needs to start his new job?

Or how about a Nurse, or police officer?

These teachers are even posting their amazon list so you can go there and buy their stuff and send it to their house.

I put both kids thru homeschooling. I paid for everything myself.
    I never ask anyone for anything, I never even thought of it.
    I did this while still paying my school taxes.

I think anyone starting a new job should try this now. Just start posting what you need to start your job and let the bleeding hearts buy your stuff for you

Why do you hate children?

BTW, it's almost hunting season. I need 30-30 cartridges.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom