Gun Zone Deals

Who Here Can't Operate A Standard Shift Vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I basically taught myself to drive standard transmission in Afghanistan because we had these locally-sourced hajimobiles we would roll around in sometimes and in my team leader’s words: “you’re from Texas, you can drive anything” (turns out, he was right lol).
    Military Camp

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    When I was in school for my CDL, I thought shifting a big rig is like shifting any standard transmission. It's similar but it's different as well. You have to double clutch when taking the road test but most drivers don't double clutch when they're on the road.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I can, but the wife and kids never could so no more sticks.

My father was a British vehicle enthusiast. Mostly MG's but if it was British he owned it at some point. Cars and motorcycles. I learned to drive in a Land Rover that had straight cut gears in 1st and 2nd so I had to double-clutch.

My favorite was his MG-C. He had a Sunbeam Tiger but that thing was dangerously nose-heavy and it did not handle well. He wouldn't let me drive the Arnolt MG. To be fair he rarely drove it himself. But he bought me a Triumph Tiger Cub which while small, was super cool. I rode it to school.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    OOOH - an MGC - that was a cool car. My '67 MGB was, in my opinion the best of them. The 18GB engine had five main bearings instead of three. Chrome bezels on the gauges before nanny state decided they could temporarily blind you.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I can, but the wife and kids never could so no more sticks.

My father was a British vehicle enthusiast. Mostly MG's but if it was British he owned it at some point. Cars and motorcycles. I learned to drive in a Land Rover that had straight cut gears in 1st and 2nd so I had to double-clutch.

My favorite was his MG-C. He had a Sunbeam Tiger but that thing was dangerously nose-heavy and it did not handle well. He wouldn't let me drive the Arnolt MG. To be fair he rarely drove it himself. But he bought me a Triumph Tiger Cub which while small, was super cool. I rode it to school.

Love the MG.... and pretty much any British sports car.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I basically taught myself to drive standard transmission in Afghanistan because we had these locally-sourced hajimobiles we would roll around in sometimes and in my team leader’s words: “you’re from Texas, you can drive anything” (turns out, he was right lol).
    So you had to wait till you were old enough to go to Afghanistan to drive a standard. Wondering why you didn't already know how. :}

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    When I was in school for my CDL, I thought shifting a big rig is like shifting any standard transmission. It's similar but it's different as well. You have to double clutch when taking the road test but most drivers don't double clutch when they're on the road.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    If I caught anyone double clutching anything of mine I'd send 'em down the road, not necessarily if you can actually drive a standard,

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don’t think manual transmissions are standard equipment on vehicles anymore. So I guess automatic transmissions are standard shift now.

I can do it. It’s easy. Just move the lever thingy to the letter that makes me go in the right direction.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    The only vehicles I drove that had manual transmissions were in the military. I ride a motorcycle, does that count. There aren't many vehicles with a manual transmission out there anymore other than classics and sports cars. The chances of coming across a situation where i have to drive a manual or risk dying have to be near 0. Who gives a shit what other people drive or know how to. I would rather judge people based on character than driving preferences/skills.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I can't wait for a thread about people who don't churn their own butter.

the-flintstones-fred.gif

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I can't wait for a thread about people who don't churn their own butter.

Hey, as a kid we lived in Waynesboro, Mississippi, we milked a cow named Queen. She gave about 3 gallons of milk each morning, about 2 in the evenings. I spent many hours churning, we had one with the plunger and one the turned like a concrete truck drum, it was made of a wooden barrel, about 5 gallons. Boy, Mother would let that milk set and that cream would rise, Ain't nothing better than yellow cornbread with fresh cream on it.
    Geezz, I just gained about 2 pounds thinking about it.

RaySendero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    US South
    The only vehicles I drove that had manual transmissions were in the military. I ride a motorcycle, does that count. There aren't many vehicles with a manual transmission out there anymore other than classics and sports cars. The chances of coming across a situation where i have to drive a manual or risk dying have to be near 0. Who gives a shit what other people drive or know how to. I would rather judge people based on character than driving preferences/skills.

Be better if you would quit judging people entirely.

Top Bottom