Venture Surplus ad

Who Here Can't Operate A Standard Shift Vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Learned to clutch on a tractor at 12. Got my farm to market license at 15, drove an ancient Marmon 13 speed from farm to the processer in town. Wife drove a Carman Gia 4 speed when we met. First car was a truck, 4 on the floor and stick transfer case. 28 years old before I owned an automatic. Kids and grandkids all learned on standard transmissions. I do think an automatic is the best thing to drive, if you are stuck in traffic on IH 35, 45,10,20,30,40......
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When I was in school for my CDL, I thought shifting a big rig is like shifting any standard transmission. It's similar but it's different as well. You have to double clutch when taking the road test but most drivers don't double clutch when they're on the road.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    IF YOU MATCH THE RIGHT RPM'S YOU CAN FLOAT THE GEARS AND NEVERTOUCH THE CLUTCH!

Jerome092

Driver of Trucks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Nacogdoches, Texas
    I was surprised to learn my Granddaughters can't.

Vehicle has to be an automatic drive or no go...

How about you and yours?

Can you operate a standard shift vehicle?

Can your wife or kids or Grand-kids?

PS, my wife could NOT catch on how to operate a standard shift no matter how much I yelled at her...no, I didn't, but gently letting out the clutch while simultaneously applying pressure to the accelerator was something she just couldn't do...

Also, wonder if car makers still make standard cars/pickups?

PS, it's OK, if you don't know how to drive a stick shift...maybe you never had the chance...?
    Me and my older sister know how to drive stick, and my daily is a Manual. None of my other sisters know how to though. I've mentioned it to them, but they're just not interested. Maybe one day.

Currently I have an "E" restriction on my CDL that I'm trying to get rid of, but I'm a little unsure the best way to do so. Gotta get that ball rolling sooner than later. I'm kinda sick of the auto trucks to be honest. Seeing as how I drive nights I'm not shifting a billion times in traffic rush hours, which I'm sure helps a lot lol.

BTW, I'm new here and looking forward to some good interactions, life kinda sucks right now and like minded people are hard to find.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Me and my older sister know how to drive stick, and my daily is a Manual. None of my other sisters know how to though. I've mentioned it to them, but they're just not interested. Maybe one day.

Currently I have an "E" restriction on my CDL that I'm trying to get rid of, but I'm a little unsure the best way to do so. Gotta get that ball rolling sooner than later. I'm kinda sick of the auto trucks to be honest. Seeing as how I drive nights I'm not shifting a billion times in traffic rush hours, which I'm sure helps a lot lol.

BTW, I'm new here and looking forward to some good interactions, life kinda sucks right now and like minded people are hard to find.
    Howdy.

Jerome092

Driver of Trucks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Nacogdoches, Texas
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Thanks, appreciate it!

Just to be clear, do you have to have 25 general forum posts (like this one) or posts as the OP to list items in the classifieds?

I'm looking to list some items (hopefully today) but I just joined. I will definitely be a long term member here though, I didn't just sign up for mercenary reasons.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks, appreciate it!

Just to be clear, do you have to have 25 general forum posts (like this one) or posts as the OP to list items in the classifieds?

I'm looking to list some items (hopefully today) but I just joined. I will definitely be a long term member here though, I didn't just sign up for mercenary reasons.

Just 25 posts, in any thread.

Hopefully not just "one word" replies....

ETA: You can always skip the posts by becoming a paying member.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1708910085219.png

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

Welcome

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    On that Automatic restriction- here is a wiki to help lift it. You can use a Class B truck or even bobtail for the test as you've already completed the Class A test. Bunch of stuff has changed since I got my Class A. It feels like you need to be a lawyer anymore to drive a truck or own a firearm.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    QAS NOT AWARE OF THAT!

If you take a pocketknife or some other small flat object and put it under the edge of you caps key and pry up it will pop off so you can blow some air through it and wipe off anything that’s been spilled. Then it will pop right back in to place.

Should solve the issue with you caps being stuck on.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I learned to drive on a 3 speed column shift Chevy Malibu? Can't remember it's been so long, I was like 14 and my father taught me to drive. It had a straight six in it, I remember that. Then when I was 20 I bought a 69 C-10 step side without an engine that I threw a rebuilt 350 from Sun Engines in along with a Saginaw three speed. I put a Hurst floor shifter in it that I bought from Super Shops and some cheap Black Jack headers and thrush turbo mufflers. No power steering, brakes or AC, it had a great big steering wheel and you had to rock it back and forth to park it. I miss that truck. It seems like you could always find an old Saginaw three speed laying around in the junkyards back in the 90's back when you could go to Pick A Part and get anything you wanted. I don't think they even let you walk around junk yards anymore. The last manual car I had was my old 2014 Camaro SS with a six speed, wish I had kept that car now.

Top Bottom