• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    As an update on an XM177E2 clone, I just ordered a PSA H&R XM117E2 Complete Lower Receiver. The appropriate uppers are OOS but requested an email notification when in stock.
    This seems like the most practical option rather than the exhausting search and cost for the individual components.
    Both the H&R upper and lower won't be " Colt Pony" correct but I don't care that much.
    A faux moderator and grenade ring will be added eventually but not sure yet of the source - most likely "Reto Arms Works" or maybe Innovative Industries.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Welcome from North Texas. I recall Red Army's build thread and agree it was well written. I think he mentioned Model 1 Sales in the thread. You can find XM177 style uppers at their site; you may not be able to get exactly what you need though if their XM177 style completes run 16" barrels; plus, I don't have the knowledge required to suggest yout get one of their forged A2 uppers and build on from there as their's have forward assists (did the XM177E2 have the F.A.?).

One thing to note as you continue to share on this great forum... Pictures of your assemblies are mandatory :shades: (not really but we all love gun pics!).

ETA: Model 1 does have XM177 style completes with 11.5" barrels; however, again they have forward assists.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The XM177E2 did have a FA however the USAF GAU-5A/A did not. Personally, I'd prefer the AF version with the "slick side" upper. The Son Tay raiders were issued that as well.

Soon as parts and pieces start to come together photos will be posted. Till then thanks for the interest.

Dick

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Progress toward my ideal of an XM177E2 or GAU-5A/A interpretation are moving along sort of. I received an 11.5" barrel from Brownell's that could applied to either. It's 1/7, not 1/12 twist - not completely correct but that's what I decided to get. I also have H&R XM177E2 Gray Lower on the way and haven't decided on whether to go with an 11.5 barrel or not. If a bit longer clone moderator is used on a shorter barrel upper that'll will keep it legal without going ATF. If not, I may pay the ATF to have a correct original length XM or GAU.

I'm also researching possible parts to build onto a Noda Spud (Palmetto) upper but they're still OOS to the Palmetto XM177E2 will be less trouble and expense butt would enjoy the satisfaction of building one myself.

So that's it - not much to get very excited about yet at least until maybe Thursday when the XM upper is tracked to arrive. When it does, I'll post pics.

__
    AR

DACMagic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2023
    Austin
    It'd be interesting if someone made a modern XM177 moderator with a better designed suppressor that replicated the original profile. Maybe take a few more db off, or at least cut some of the weight of the steel.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Yeah, the retro Colt XM - way too over rated for what they offer. I think the trademark is basically all it might have to offer but I think it's laser weakly engraved from what I understand. Some might be motivated to pay the price, just not a very reasonable option for me....

edit: there's one on GB $585.00 - ends 5d 32h Buy Now $2995.00

forgot to mention an original M639 XM177E2 for $65,000.00

.- .-. :)

Last edited:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    It'd be interesting if someone made a modern XM177 moderator with a better designed suppressor that replicated the original profile. Maybe take a few more db off, or at least cut some of the weight of the steel.
    I hear ya loud and clear...that'd be something I'd like to see too. If someone had the talent and a lathe it might be possible, I guess.

DACMagic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2023
    Austin
    I hear ya loud and clear...that'd be something I'd like to see too. If someone had the talent and a lathe it might be possible, I guess.
    I was thinking Titanium with the 3D sintered stuff they are doing now. Should be able to get better performance, lighter weight, and look damn cool at the same time.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    This is a recent PSA purchase. The upper is a complete H&R "Commando" upper assembly and appears well done. Everything looks excellent except an incorrect period dust cover and forward assist - not to mention that I didn't realize it was also completely Black until the box was opened. That's not going to match the H&R 177E2 Gray Lower that's expected later this week from PSA. Unless the upper receiver is stripped and re-anodized it ain't gonna work. It would also need the bayonet lug shaved off, the A-frame front post casting seams ground smooth and re-parked. Other than that, I think it would be mostly correct. I'm still learning how and what may correct so it'll before it really comes together the way I want.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
      IMG_0953.JPG
      415.2 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_0954.JPG
      IMG_0954.JPG
      338.3 KB · Views: 52
    • IMG_0955.JPG
      IMG_0955.JPG
      325 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_0956.JPG
      IMG_0956.JPG
      360.5 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_0959.JPG
      IMG_0959.JPG
      188.1 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_0963.JPG
      IMG_0963.JPG
      381.9 KB · Views: 57

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    If PSA gets gray H&R Stripped Lowers back in stock, I'd try to complete a scratch build but original parts are difficult to find and gotten expensive. If anyone has knowledge or experience and can suggest particular retro parts are well made, please let me know. I'm skeptical about a lot of the repro MIM stuff.
    Thanks

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    OK so who is this guy...?

I'm still alive and around if you have any questions. :loaded: Haven't felt like building any guns lately, been kind of bored with them to be honest. Once summer is over I'll be more active.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Lots of reports recently of people’s CC info stolen on TNTE site.

They went through a crappy faze way back from what I've read. I took a chance on them when I built my M16A1 clone. I ordered a chrome lined pencil barrel in the correct 1:12 twist rate at a time when barrels were in short supply due to the gun buying frenzy. They came through and I had no complaints. I chose them again for the cloned A1 upper and FN shorty barrel with their replica Moderator pinned and welded. I had no issues with them with those two builds.

Here's the A1 replica build if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Thanks for joining in. I admire the results you ended up with on both those projects. I'm pretty new at building but look forward to whatever I can learn. I've been highly motivated to do an XM177E2 or GAUA-5/A and have the results pictured in my head.
    Tomorrow I should pick up an H&R "Retro XM177E2 Complete Lower."
    Stock:
    Adjustable Aluminum Car Stock
    Grip: A1 Style
    Material: 7075
    Finish: Gray Hard Anodized
    Trigger: H&R Retro Trigger
    Features: Gray Retro Flat Trigger Guard

I have a complete upper but it's Black anodized and that's not going to work. Option one is possibly strip and try re-parking the upper to try a gray match - or I read something about using Navel Jelly to dull a "black" finish to gray. The latter option will need more research - even it works then I question how it would affect durability. The other option is wait for stripped H&R Gray Upper to come back in stock and do a build based on that. I know that finishes will vary anyway so I'm hoping for the best despite what direction it takes.
    Ultimately 12.5" barrel will include a RAW Moderator from John Thomas - pinned and welded with Grenade Ring and other detail period refinements. One compromise will be a 1:7 twist over the original 1:12.

Later

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Thanks for joining in. I admire the results you ended up with on both those projects. I'm pretty new at building but look forward to whatever I can learn. I've been highly motivated to do an XM177E2 or GAUA-5/A and have the results pictured in my head.
    Tomorrow I should pick up an H&R "Retro XM177E2 Complete Lower."
    Stock:
    Adjustable Aluminum Car Stock
    Grip: A1 Style
    Material: 7075
    Finish: Gray Hard Anodized
    Trigger: H&R Retro Trigger
    Features: Gray Retro Flat Trigger Guard

I have a complete upper but it's Black anodized and that's not going to work. Option one is possibly strip and try re-parking the upper to try a gray match - or I read something about using Navel Jelly to dull a "black" finish to gray. The latter option will need more research - even it works then I question how it would affect durability. The other option is wait for stripped H&R Gray Upper to come back in stock and do a build based on that. I know that finishes will vary anyway so I'm hoping for the best despite what direction it takes.
    Ultimately 12.5" barrel will include a RAW Moderator from John Thomas - pinned and welded with Grenade Ring and other detail period refinements. One compromise will be a 1:7 twist over the original 1:12.

Later

Thanks, I gave up on trying to get an early gray anodized finish. I even looked into having actual anodizing until I saw the price they were asking.:beat: I went with the standard black color which is what a lot of them were. I used Cerakote graphite black which looks remarkably close to an anodized finish. You could try mixing Cerakote yourself to try and come up with a match for the gray.

I went 1:7 as well, no options in that barrel length for 1:12. The thing is boringly accurate though, I'm not joking and you're not limited to 55 grain bullets as is the case with 1:12. The faux moderator nearly eliminates the muzzle blast of a typical shorty barrel which is a VERY good thing. I had a shorty AK that stopped being fun real quick because of muzzle blast.

It took a lot of digging around to find the parts for my builds, lot's of patience is required. Here's where I got some of my stuff if you're interested. Might help out someone else wanting to recreate one of these rifles as well.

If you need an original M16A1 bakelite grip you can get them here:

https://www.uscollectorsordnance.com/product-category/m16-furniture-parts/

This guy had the 6 hole handguard which is very hard to find, the only one I found in fact. It has the correct single heat shield and non guarded gas tube. This is 100% correct for a Vietnam era XM177E2. Be warned, this guy was iffy in the past about getting orders out quickly, he came through for me though. Had it in a week, I think he got his act together.

https://retrorifles.com/carbine-handguards-6-hole-7-hole-m4/

For a strap you need a Korean war general purpose sling or the 30 carbine sling, you can find these at just about any WWII surplus sight. This is what a lot of the SOG guys used, they cut the metal loops off and most used rope or para cord for attachment. I chose a loop set from a Norinco type 56 sling to attach my strap as I figured it would be plausible that one of the guys could have picked this up. There were plenty of them laying around in Vietnam that's for sure.

I found original Simmons M16A1 20 round mags on Gun Broker, these are becoming more scarce by the day. Better take what you can find if you want some.

Not sure how period correct you're aiming for, I went all the way. You also need a slotted grip screw, these are tough to find at the moment.

Other places to find stuff:

Sarco has some original stuff from time to time, I got one of my flat delta rings from them. The Vietnam era ones had an almost purple colored anodizing to them.

APEX Gun Parts also has tuff from time to time, you just have to keep watching.:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/auto-loading/us-arms/us-m16.html

If you want an original:

Last edited:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Man, thanks so much for the information. To be clear my intention is to recreate an XM as close as possible less the original barrel twist and Colt Trademark. I picked up a gray anodized H&R XM177E2 complete lower and XM177E2 stripped lower this morning. Both look very good except I didn't pay attention when ordering and the stripped lower is "Black" so hope to exchange it for a Gray one.

So far all I managed to add a few original parts including a couple original Bakelite Grips; an original General-Purpose Strap; rear sight assembly. The complete lower has the 6-hole skinny handguard and correct aluminum 2 position stock.

Anyway, photos should offer some visual description of the complete lower and I'll figure more out and hope to have clearer direction after next weekend.

Attachments

• xm.comp.up.L.JPG
      xm.comp.up.L.JPG
      549.9 KB · Views: 34
    • strip.up.R.JPG
      strip.up.R.JPG
      496.4 KB · Views: 36
    • IMG_0991.JPG
      IMG_0991.JPG
      548.7 KB · Views: 34
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom