• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    As usual I discovered too late Troy had built a couple retro examples of the early Spec Ops CAR15's and are now discontinued. The search process eventually led to this site after finding an XM177e2 clone build by member "Red Army".

My priority at this point is to locate a Troy retro XM177E2 or GAU-5/A/A but would still enjoy the challenge of building one or the other also as long as the parts can be found and aren't too crazy expensive.

This is my first post and hope to learn what I can, so information and comments are welcome.

Thanks -

I have a very early bakelite AR grip if that helps you any
    Guns International

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Major XM177E2 progress was made Sunday as a result of visiting a couple friends.
    First unexpected surprise included a used Colt A1 complete Upper and a Bakelite grip.
    The upper looks sort of faded black anodized. It cleaned up well except for a little ding along it's left rear edge, but it fits perfectly with the H&R Lower. I hope to bead blast and re-anodize it dark gray to match the lower if possible but at this point it looks good.
    The barrel is a Brownells 12.7" (1:7) pencil barrel dry fitted that probably will be used but not completely sure yet. If so, the flat slip ring will be replaced with a Delta but up to this point I'm excited and fortunate to have jumped ahead this rapidly on this project.

Attachments

• colt.up.low.R.brl.JPG
      colt.up.low.R.brl.JPG
      596.1 KB · Views: 59
    • c.up.hr.low.L.brl.JPG
      c.up.hr.low.L.brl.JPG
      619.7 KB · Views: 59
    • colt up.low.R.JPG
      colt up.low.R.JPG
      477.5 KB · Views: 55
    • IMG_1032.JPG
      IMG_1032.JPG
      616.5 KB · Views: 52
    Last edited:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Confusing update:
    Returned and exchanged an H&R Black, Complete Upper and a H&R Black, Stripped XM177E2 Lower for Complete H&R XM177E2 Gray Lower and a Stripped H&R XM177E2 Gray Lower.......yeah, don't ask. I stripped a previously ordered "Commando" Black Lower for the parts to add to the Stripped XM Gray Lower then added a donated original, Black Colt Upper to the H&R Compete XM Gray Lower. The excuse is lack of understanding or remembering what the correct original finishes were.
    Anyway, in summary: (1.) Compete H&R Gray Lower joined with Complete, Colt A1 Black Upper. (2.) Complete H&R XM1772 Gray Lower.

The Colt Upper will be stripped and re-anodized gray or gray Cerakoted. I'm uncertain what I'll do yet with the extra XM lower yet. Maybe try a slick side upper whenever PSA gets them back in stock, but the problem is I don't think PSA offers a "GAU-5/5" marked lower.

That's enough babble....my apology. Hopefully the remaining thread won't be so wearisome.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Contacted an anodizing shop in Burnet and talked about stripping and re-anodizing the A1 upper mentioned above to match the H&R lower. I used this shop a few years ago while restoring a vintage Honda XL250 and they were absolutely excellent people to work with. Apparently, they're familiar with anodizing Colt AR receivers too. Depending on further details including cost I'm very confident they'll follow up on what's needed. Meantime the search for proper parts will continue.

Edit: As follow up the shop called this morning, and they have a gray dye and I'm going to there Monday morning. The upper rcv and charging handle will be stripped and refinished to match the lower as close as possible while I wait. These people are first class especially in comparison to much of the service these days.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Is there anyone subscribed to this thread or am I just transmitting in the blind??
    You are never wasting bandwidth or transmitting in the blind. The info is valuable to all who come after you. Everyone who Google your particular rifle will be sent here.

Keep it up, lots are watching.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    K, thanks...wasn't too certain. I'd sent a PM question to another member several days ago and still have had a reply so wasn't sure if maybe I had done something wrong....anyway thanks again.

Currently I'm looking forward to taking the original Colt stripped Upper to an anodizing shop sometime toward the end of the week. I'll be stripped and re-anodized gray to match my H&R XM Lower. I have a great deal of confidence in their dedication based on how well they follow up with phone communications.

More to follow...

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The trip to the anodizing shop has been delayed now till Thurs.

Meantime I'm really pleased with some parts ordered from "AR15SPORT.COM. I needed a couple proper period Dust Cover Assy's; D-Rings and Carbine length gas tubes which arrived promptly very well packaged and for reasonable shipping. I'd highly recommend them from my experience so far in case anyone needs some retro AR parts check them out.
    I didn't pay attention to a retro PSA pencil barrel that I ordered that without a front sight post so had to ordered that earlier today.

Last edited:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    The guys I intended to have the Colt upper re-anodizing done by couldn't match the gray of the H&R XM Lower. They were very generous with their time with me explaining the difficulty of trying to get a match since they would need to purchase a separate dye so I realized it might be easier to try matching a Cerakote finish and try it myself.... we'll see.

Last edited:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    what kind of work & what kind of turn around time do you expect?
    I need to re-align the FSB on an AR15 barrel. It will need next size up drilling followed by oversize tapers pins. I bought a used carbine without checking more closely that it had a really poorly aligned FSB from the factory - obviously to me that's why it was sold. I would expect reasonable turn around, if possible, hopefully within a month. "Reasonable" these days is difficult to define but my primary interest is dependable quality and if that takes a little longer, I'm usuallly satisfied.

Last edited:

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    as far as anodizing goes, not all the colors may match due to how anodizing works, even colt guns from the same serial range and batch will have varying degrees of grey so be forewarned. plus if you really wanna get esoteric with your XM177 build, try nabbing and oxford electronic.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom