• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    FOR THE RECORD...an' I ain't no cop basher....but damned few cops KNOW gun laws - those that do, are generally on this board, and I think they'll confirm what I just said.

Oh....and also - FOR THE RECORD....thank you for taking my comments in the spirit in which they were intended. Shows a higher level of maturity - and if you're going to be packing a gun, you're going to need it.

I've carried since I was 16 - back then, it was the norm. Obviously, today that wouldn't fly - but back then no one thought anything about it. I've had my butt whipped BADLY when I had a gun within reach - but they were fistfights, usually brought about by my own big mouth, so I figured it was all in fun. The key is to KNOW where that "line" is - and it can move based on what your opponent is doing, so when you read scenarios on this board, take them ALL with a grain of salt - because if you pull a gun based on what you've read here, you're already in trouble. Talk to some local instructors, and ask them if they'd let you sit in on several of their training courses over the next few years if you pay 'em for *one* time. I'd be willing to bet that if you'll ask around, you'll find one that'll agree to it. That'll give you a LOT of exposure to different mindsets and scenarios, as well as some real-life stories that might give you additional insight.

Stick around, though - havin' a snot-nosed kid is always handy....if for nuthin' else than ta git us adults a beer when we need it!

Haha.

I try thinking of every scenario. It's impossible, there's too many. But I do know I don't want to use it. I pray I don't have to use it. But like I and another said, I'll choose life over death. I was always told its better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Having thought things through beforehand can be all-important - instances where you might draw a weapon, instances where you might decide NOT to shoot, even though you've drawn. How to best secure your weapon pending use, or to keep it out of the hands of another. Having someone LEGALLY at hand to break the hands of someone that attempts to get possession of your weapon. Where to best strike someone to gain yourself time to access your weapon, or to back them off enough to allow you to draw. When you might want to throw your weapon someplace unaccessible pending arrival of an LEO. There's a thousand and one things to have thought out, and above everything else.....practice.
    Practice with that gun until everything about it is second nature. Practice with it so that you can draw and fire from force of habit, rather than some drawn-out ritual. Safe your weapon - repeatedly - then practice getting it out and into the fire position. Train your hands, eyes, everything so that every time you pull that gun, it's ready to go. If it's a semi, then that means sweeping the safety as you draw and point the gun down-range, even as you put it into the firing position - while ensuring that your finger is OFF the trigger until you are ready to destroy your opponent. Remember that when you carry a gun, there's no "oopsies" - no "call-backs" - that you own EVERY round that leaves its' barrel. That means KNOWING what is downrange of your target, and whether pulling the trigger will expose others to a potential deflected round or missed shot.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I find wearing copious amounts of explosives strapped to my chest does a fine job of keeping an attacker from getting to close, another option is to strip but naked and try to hug them.

Either/or, maybe try both at once. Works best if you can really catch them off guard.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    And

Is more what I took offense to. I'm not an idiot. I'm young but not stupid, that's why I'm here asking questions instead of out just doing it.

Just because I'm 18 doesn't give anyone the right to talk to me like that, so yes. I'm taking offense to it. Let's be honest here, 3 years does not make much of a difference in most cases.

Anyways, thanks for the good info guys. I seriously hope to be accepted around here. Like I said, I've grown up with guns all my life and I know plenty of enough not to do anything stupid. When I get one, it's out of sight and out of mind unless it's just my only option in a life threatening situation.

I was trying to paint a vivid picture of what would happen if your mom made a straw purchase. You WOULD be asked to testify against her and you'd do it or face charges yourself.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I was trying to paint a vivid picture of what would happen if your mom made a straw purchase. You WOULD be asked to testify against her and you'd do it or face charges yourself.

Well I know it's illegal now so we don't need to worry about that :)

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Having thought things through beforehand can be all-important - instances where you might draw a weapon, instances where you might decide NOT to shoot, even though you've drawn. How to best secure your weapon pending use, or to keep it out of the hands of another. Having someone LEGALLY at hand to break the hands of someone that attempts to get possession of your weapon. Where to best strike someone to gain yourself time to access your weapon, or to back them off enough to allow you to draw. When you might want to throw your weapon someplace unaccessible pending arrival of an LEO. There's a thousand and one things to have thought out, and above everything else.....practice.
    Practice with that gun until everything about it is second nature. Practice with it so that you can draw and fire from force of habit, rather than some drawn-out ritual. Safe your weapon - repeatedly - then practice getting it out and into the fire position. Train your hands, eyes, everything so that every time you pull that gun, it's ready to go. If it's a semi, then that means sweeping the safety as you draw and point the gun down-range, even as you put it into the firing position - while ensuring that your finger is OFF the trigger until you are ready to destroy your opponent. Remember that when you carry a gun, there's no "oopsies" - no "call-backs" - that you own EVERY round that leaves its' barrel. That means KNOWING what is downrange of your target, and whether pulling the trigger will expose others to a potential deflected round or missed shot.

I'll take this all into consideration. Even if it was life treating, I can't really see myself using it unless I was absolutely sure I could die.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Actually the best way to know the law... is to read the law.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

This times 100.

true for the most part, but be careful of interpretation...

Which is why asking police isn't really a good way. I've run into too many who don't know the laws they're asked about, especially some of the esoteric points of gun law. I guarantee that, depending on the department, if you ask 5 cops if an 18 year old can own and car carry a handgun, at least 1 is going to say it's illegal.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    This times 100.

Which is why asking police isn't really a good way. I've run into too many who don't know the laws they're asked about, especially some of the esoteric points of gun law. I guarantee that, depending on the department, if you ask 5 cops if an 18 year old can own and car carry a handgun, at least 1 is going to say it's illegal.

How exactly would I go about arguing my point across to a stubborn cop? Carry a copy of the Youth Safety Handgun Act?

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    How exactly would I go about arguing my point across to a stubborn cop? Carry a copy of the Youth Safety Handgun Act?

And while the topic is up about that act:

What would the private firearms seller need to legally check before selling someone under the age of 21 a gun?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I find wearing copious amounts of explosives strapped to my chest does a fine job of keeping an attacker from getting to close, another option is to strip but naked and try to hug them.

Either/or, maybe try both at once. Works best if you can really catch them off guard.

I prefer your second option.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

Write this down....don't argue with cops. EVER. You ain't gonna win the arguement, and yer possibly gonna piss 'em off enough so that the *other* stuff (and there's ALWAYS "other stuff") he was gonna let you slide on, he'll now write you for. Keep your cool, be polite and professional and present your side of the DISCUSSION in a calm and friendly manner. If that doesn't work, then ask him to call for a supervisor, explaining that while you know your rights, you don't want to challenge his authority - but you also don't want the hassle of a bogus charge that'll just turn into a lawsuit. Now....at your age, that last part is something to use ONLY as a last resort (talking about bogus charge/lawsuit). Is it right/fair? It doesn't matter - know human nature and use it to your advantage.

Yeah - having a copy of the YSH act will be beneficial. Now....if you ARE detained/arrested and hauled away, you need a GOOD attorney's name and number at hand. Once you know you're going to be placed into custody, keep civil and polite, but invoke the 5th Amendment and STFU until your attorney is present, because at that point, all reasonable discussion has failed, and all you're going to do is dig yourself a hole, no matter how much you might think something is the "right" thing to say.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Write this down....don't argue with cops. EVER. You ain't gonna win the arguement, and yer possibly gonna piss 'em off enough so that the *other* stuff (and there's ALWAYS "other stuff") he was gonna let you slide on, he'll now write you for. Keep your cool, be polite and professional and present your side of the DISCUSSION in a calm and friendly manner. If that doesn't work, then ask him to call for a supervisor, explaining that while you know your rights, you don't want to challenge his authority - but you also don't want the hassle of a bogus charge that'll just turn into a lawsuit. Now....at your age, that last part is something to use ONLY as a last resort (talking about bogus charge/lawsuit). Is it right/fair? It doesn't matter - know human nature and use it to your advantage.

Yeah - having a copy of the YSH act will be beneficial. Now....if you ARE detained/arrested and hauled away, you need a GOOD attorney's name and number at hand. Once you know you're going to be placed into custody, keep civil and polite, but invoke the 5th Amendment and STFU until your attorney is present, because at that point, all reasonable discussion has failed, and all you're going to do is dig yourself a hole, no matter how much you might think something is the "right" thing to say.

Thanks for the info. If I get pulled over and a cop asks if I have any weapons in the car, do I HAVE to tell him about it? I know he can't search it without a reasonable cause and he has to have my permission.. But isn't it something pretty much every cop asks at every traffic stop?

If so I'll do it, if not then I'll bypass the trouble unless I figure he really needs to know.

It's probably a dumb question but like I said, I'm trying to figure out everything.

Edit: Just so you guys know, I don't mean lying to him. More or less like.. "Hey can I search your truck?" "No sorry I'm not comfortable with that."

So if he asks if I have any weapons, am I within rights to say "Sorry I'm not comfortable answering that question." or something? Or should I just be straight up about it?

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You are not required to inform them that you are armed unless you have a CHL, I car carried for a long time before I got my CHL and had no intention of bringing up the topic if I were stopped. If they asked I would have told them what I had and where.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    You are not required to inform them that you are armed unless you have a CHL, I car carried for a long time before I got my CHL and had no intention of bringing up the topic if I were stopped. If they asked I would have told them what I had and where.

Just seems like every time I've been pulled over thats the first thing they've asked. "Do you have any weapons in the vehicle". Basically I just say "Yeah, I've got such and such in the safe under the seat"?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This thread delivers! The Alabama leprechaun hunter agrees!

ani1sj3.gif

Top Bottom