Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This guy from The Office agrees!

72242236-trolling-gif-.gif

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Well the few that I asked knew the laws... Maybe I got lucky....

How do you know? Did you verify afterwards?

Asking the average cop about law is the last thing a person should do.

OK, asking a gun store employee is worse.

Last edited:

JoeB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Grapevine
    How do you know? Did you verify afterwards?

Asking the average cop about law is the last thing a person should do.

OK, asking a gun store employee is worse.

I know a few cops since I was hosting Bass fishing tournaments in the DFW area for the last four years... The wife knows a few cops since she works at Walmart in the sporting goods section... and Yes I do my homework very well...

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    So I'm within my rights to tell a cop I'm not comfortable answering the weapons in the truck question?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So I'm within my rights to tell a cop I'm not comfortable answering the weapons in the truck question?

You don't have to answer that question. Whether you do or not is your call. TXI is right: Never, EVER lie. You'll get caught in the lie and that leads to trouble. IIRC, you have to ID and show paperwork during a traffic stop, and that's the end of it.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    You don't have to answer that question. Whether you do or not is your call. TXI is right: Never, EVER lie. You'll get caught in the lie and that leads to trouble. IIRC, you have to ID and show paperwork during a traffic stop, and that's the end of it.

Thanks guys. Any other tips?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    For the record, I have never been asked if I was armed during a traffic stop. Even when I had an NRA decal on my rear window and a shady looking NRA hat in between my seat and center console. Of course, all officers are different.

And on a slightly related note, a good way to handle a traffic stop is to cut the engine, take your keys out of the ignition and put them on the dash, turn on your interior light if its dark, keep your hands 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, and be polite and truthful. Even if you do get ticketed, remain polite. If you know you did something wrong to get pulled over, fess up lol. No sense in denying it, they're not stupid.

Last edited:

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I've been stopped and had my gun on me. Did was Jakash said. Got me out of a potential ticket. I had my wallet ready to go and announced I was reaching for my insurance in the glove box and did so very slowly.

Edit: I gave him my CHL first, and then he asked where it was.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I've been stopped and had my gun on me. Did was Jakash said. Got me out of a potential ticket. I had my wallet ready to go and announced I was reaching for my insurance in the glove box and did so very slowly.

Edit: I gave him my CHL first, and then he asked where it was.

Good to know. Only Problem is I see Dallas cops giving an 18 year old shit for having a gun in his truck. Most Dallas cops have been total douchebags to me. And I'm the respectful type. The goodie goodie of the family, if you know what I mean.

Edit: Edited out a curse word. I'll try and watch my tongue around here for the ladies.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Good to know. Only Problem is I see Dallas cops giving an 18 year old shit for having a gun in his truck. Most Dallas cops have been total douchebags to me. And I'm the respectful type. The goodie goodie of the family, if you know what I mean.

Edit: Edited out a curse word. I'll try and watch my tongue around here for the ladies.

How many cops have you encountered? I would suspect that since it's been "many" and they all were "total douchebags," then it was deserved...

Your last sentence only reinforces that belief.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas

I was 18 not too long ago. I worried about this too. I learned I shouldn't have. So don't.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    How many cops have you encountered? I would suspect that since it's been "many" and they all were "total douchebags," then it was deserved...

Your last sentence only reinforces that belief.

Not many. I've only been pulled over like five times. One was while I was taking my friend home. It was pretty late and he pulled me over because he heard gunshots in the area and I was the only one driving in that neighborhood. Obviously I had no gun nor a clue what he was talking about, but he was quite rude. Like I was lying to him.

The other four times I've just been randomly pulled over and they used the "I'm just checking your registration" excuse.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Seems fist impressions of a certain new poster were correct.

Pardon me for trying to watch my language. There's just some of you I'm not going to be able to get on good terms with; and I'll assume you're one of them.

Some of you just don't let up.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Not many. I've only been pulled over like five times. One was while I was taking my friend home. It was pretty late and he pulled me over because he heard gunshots in the area and I was the only one driving in that neighborhood. Obviously I had no gun nor a clue what he was talking about, but he was quite rude. Like I was lying to him.

The other four times I've just been randomly pulled over and they used the "I'm just checking your registration" excuse.

Five times is "many"?!?? <snicker> Dude, I was pulled over that many times in a MONTH when I was your age! Lemme see....late at night, shots fired, only car on the streets is occupied by 2 males within gang age range.....and you're gonna get hurt feelings because he was "rude"? Lighten up, Francis.....

And got news for you...they don't pull over to "check registration" - so c'mon - why did they REALLY pull you over? Either you hang out in the wrong areas, or else there's something about your vehicle that screams "check me out". Cops don't have time to go around playing games, my friend.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Five times is "many"?!?? <snicker> Dude, I was pulled over that many times in a MONTH when I was your age! Lemme see....late at night, shots fired, only car on the streets is occupied by 2 males within gang age range.....and you're gonna get hurt feelings because he was "rude"? Lighten up, Francis.....

And got news for you...they don't pull over to "check registration" - so c'mon - why did they REALLY pull you over? Either you hang out in the wrong areas, or else there's something about your vehicle that screams "check me out". Cops don't have time to go around playing games, my friend.

Yeah, you're right TexasRedneck.

That's why they said they "really" pulled me over. But granted I live in a very bad neighborhood and my truck is a square body Chevy. A nice one, but I guess it does scream check me out.

So as far as number of times pulled over, 5 isn't bad? :cool:

My feelings weren't hurt though. It was more of the fact even after how nice and cooperative I'd been, let him search the truck, and proving it wasn't me, he still had attitude. Maybe I'm just too kind hearted.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think a lot of the perceived attitude concerning LEOs some have a problem with could be understood if you look at it from the other side of the window.

Every car you approach could possibly have someone willing to take your life in order to avoid being picked up on a warrant. They are approaching a vehicle an in most cases can't tell what's going on inside. By sticking to the routine and staying as professional as possible they are protecting themselves.

Yes, I agree there are some pricks out there but not that many that I have come across. I could go through several stories of having to deal with crap when I had done little wrong including being cuffed and put in the back of a car because for some reason the plates on my truck had come back as stolen. I knew this wasn't the case but I was polite and honest the entire time(It didn't help that I was making a quick run to town and realized I had forgotten my wallet a couple miles from the house but my wife said she'd get it so we went on).

I knew it was my truck but from his side he had a guy with no ID and was being told the truck was stolen, he acted accordingly.

I have also dealt with exactly on cop who was a prick. A trooper who showed up in our little town from Austin and started ticketing people for all kinds of crap. The JP threw out about 90% of what he wrote an after a lot of complaints were files he was sent back to Austin.

Found out from my Brother in law that the state if Texas has since terminated his employment but said he couldn't give any details.

Guess the point of all that BS is that there are some crappy cops out there, the overwhelming majority are just trying to make sure they can make it home and hug their kids one more time.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I think a lot of the perceived attitude concerning LEOs some have a problem with could be understood if you look at it from the other side of the window.

Every car you approach could possibly have someone willing to take your life in order to avoid being picked up on a warrant. They are approaching a vehicle an in most cases can't tell what's going on inside. By sticking to the routine and staying as professional as possible they are protecting themselves.

Yes, I agree there are some pricks out there but not that many that I have come across. I could go through several stories of having to deal with crap when I had done little wrong including being cuffed and put in the back of a car because for some reason the plates on my truck had come back as stolen. I knew this wasn't the case but I was polite and honest the entire time(It didn't help that I was making a quick run to town and realized I had forgotten my wallet a couple miles from the house but my wife said she'd get it so we went on).

I knew it was my truck but from his side he had a guy with no ID and was being told the truck was stolen, he acted accordingly.

I have also dealt with exactly on cop who was a prick. A trooper who showed up in our little town from Austin and started ticketing people for all kinds of crap. The JP threw out about 90% of what he wrote an after a lot of complaints were files he was sent back to Austin.

Found out from my Brother in law that the state if Texas has since terminated his employment but said he couldn't give any details.

Guess the point of all that BS is that there are some crappy cops out there, the overwhelming majority are just trying to make sure they can make it home and hug their kids one more time.
    Youre right. I respect cops. And to be honest that's what I'm looking to in the future as a career. So I'm not bashing cops at all. Just don't like some of the encounters I've dealt with. I don't look like a thug kid so they shouldn't treat me like one. I give them respect they should give the same IMO.

Top Bottom