• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpmack1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    San Antonio, Tx
    We don't go there often... The BBQ one is a good one, you should give it a try... they are quite a bit like the small mom and pop places in Korea... I have lunch there a couple of times a week with several other guys who were with me in Korea from 2006-2012... we were all assigned to the same organization and now several of us are here in San Antonio...

Went to the gun show and got one of the guns I've been looking for. A highpoint 45cal carbine... uses the same 45 acp as my 1911... I like to match them up and it was relatively cheap, and according to the gun shop guys I've spoken to, its a gun that meet my purposes. Not looking for anything fancy, just something to play with and that will give me a capability for some home defense. Nice little gun for a small price... now we'll see if it stands up to what I was told.

Going to the gun show was enlightening to say the least. Can't believe the price of ammo though... WOW... hopefully it will come down in the future.. glad I've got some stock but it doesn't look like I'll be going to the range very often... 22 is three to four times what I paid just two years ago... 223 and 45acp... double to triple... was told there is an ammo shortage, but those guys at the gun shows had tons of it... just don't understand the price being as high as it is... needless to say... didn't buy any ammo. I can get it in the BX at Randolf AFB for 1/3rd what they were asking.. and I thought Randolf prices were high.... hmmmmm.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

Going to the gun show was enlightening to say the least. Can't believe the price of ammo though... WOW... hopefully it will come down in the future.. glad I've got some stock but it doesn't look like I'll be going to the range very often... 22 is three to four times what I paid just two years ago... 223 and 45acp... double to triple... was told there is an ammo shortage, but those guys at the gun shows had tons of it... just don't understand the price being as high as it is... needless to say... didn't buy any ammo. I can get it in the BX at Randolf AFB for 1/3rd what they were asking.. and I thought Randolf prices were high.... hmmmmm.

You can't look at the price of .22 as any sort of indicator of anything. If you are not buying from a Walmart, Academy or large online vendors, the price is artificially inflated. Those prices will lower just as soon as everyone that buy's to shoot it at that level stops for a month or two. Blame the vendors all you want, but if there wasn't morons paying their price, they would HAVE to bring their prices down to closer to the major retailer's level.

As far as .223 and .45 being double and triple what it was 2 years ago, unless you are talking about surplus ammo from the late 2000's, I haven't seen commercial ammo at that level lately. I actually seen a couple of vendors @ this show with offerings at market pricing.

.45 has been expensive even beyond politics and national events, it's just what it is and I don't see that caliber coming down.
    The best deals on .45 are going to be found online and you are going to need to buy in bulk (maybe 200, but definitely 500/1000 rnd. cases) to offset the shipping. In 2010 the p/r price was approximately $0.35+. Here is what available now at at around the around the same price:
    GunBot 45acp pistol ammo

.223/5.56 is back to 2010 pricing, though everyone wants to argue that it is not. Academy has Federal 5.56 for $9.99 and Walmart has it for $7.35. That's .35 to .50 cents a round. That also is the same price range 223/556 was going for in 2010.

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals
    gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

That's only two selections but you can look further if you would like too.. gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

There was at least one vendor at the Premier show that had comparable offerings of .223 in the upper $7 to $8 range.

Maybe at one time gun shows were the place to find cheap ammo, but all that changed with online vendors and the drying up of the surplus ammo market.

I am curious though, what is the price of say a box of commercial brass 223/556 on base?

cpmack1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    San Antonio, Tx
    Southpaw... I paid 11.99 for box of 20 FMJ 223 and 12.99 for box of 20 hollow points... NO TAX at the BX. They didn't have any 22lr or 22mag but when they do it runs around 2 to 2.5 per box of 50 for LR and a slight bit more for mags. I bought 4 boxes of 223 rem FMJ (20 per box) at Walmart yesterday for 7.79. These I will use for sighting and plunking. The hollow points I'll use for hunting. Prices in the BX are comparable to those at Walmart depending on brand, and we have a challenge capability in the BX where if I find it cheaper for the same brand/type they will meet the price in the BX. But like everyone else, some supplies are really low. Like I said, I have some in stock at home, but would like to keep my stock up to about 500 rounds of each type, but with prices the way they are, I'll settle for around 200 of each round until prices come down. All that means is I won't get much range time. Wanted a load of 22LR so I could take the kids out and teach them more about the different types of guns, firing and gun safety, so will have to limit the amount I use for the time being. I want them to fire the 22, 22 mag, 45acp, 45lc, and 203 to get familiar with each weapon and the feel when they fire.
    Like you, I think that it won't be too much longer that prices will begin to decline as more ammo becomes available. Right now I see a trend of several of the vendors at gun shows, etc., going and buying as much as possible to keep prices up, but with most organizations now setting limits as to how much you can buy on each day, this will begin to cause the prices to fall to more reasonable levels. Walmart and the BX have a 3 box limit for each day and ammunition that is most often in short supply.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Is there a gun show in the San Antonio area often? I have been to the Saxet but now I see there is a Premier. Anyone suggest a specific one?

There are three major shows in SA...

The SAXET at the SA Event Center (410 and Marbach) the first weekend of every month. About 600-700 tables, $5 to get in, a couple bucks to park. Can be fun but usually it's the same stuff every month.

Then there is the Premier Gun Show about every other month at the Freeman Expo Hall next to the AT&T Center off of Houston Street. Usually 900+ tables and a better variety of vendors than SAXET. Costs $7 to get in, $6 if you know the secret word or have a coupon, and some of us get VIP access. Parking is now free, thanks to the nice folks at Premier! I find this to be the best show going and the promoters treat us really well. Most folks prefer this show for its better selection and usually you can negotiate prices because of it. Gun prices can vary widely at this show, so it's always best to shop around. I think more folks buy guns at this show than any other.

Lastly, there is the Liberty Gun Show at Pedrotti’s Ranch in Helotes off of 1560 (Hausman Road just outside 1604). It is about 300 tables if that and probably not the best venue but I hear they are working to make it better (lighting was a big issue during the first show!). So far they've been holding them every month (the next one is this coming weekend) but they don't show any past May on their website. I think this one is $7 to get in and parking is free out along the power lines.

Texas Guns Shows/High Caliber used to have shows here, but I think they've left the area after their shows started to decline badly.

Don't expect any deals on ammo at these shows, you might get lucky but don't bank on it! However, for accessories and firearms, gun shows have more to choose from and better prices than the local gun shops and stores.

Cheers! M2

Last edited:

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Southpaw... I paid 11.99 for box of 20 FMJ 223 and 12.99 for box of 20 hollow points... NO TAX at the BX. They didn't have any 22lr or 22mag but when they do it runs around 2 to 2.5 per box of 50 for LR and a slight bit more for mags. I bought 4 boxes of 223 rem FMJ (20 per box) at Walmart yesterday for 7.79. These I will use for sighting and plunking. The hollow points I'll use for hunting. Prices in the BX are comparable to those at Walmart depending on brand, and we have a challenge capability in the BX where if I find it cheaper for the same brand/type they will meet the price in the BX. But like everyone else, some supplies are really low. Like I said, I have some in stock at home, but would like to keep my stock up to about 500 rounds of each type, but with prices the way they are, I'll settle for around 200 of each round until prices come down. All that means is I won't get much range time. Wanted a load of 22LR so I could take the kids out and teach them more about the different types of guns, firing and gun safety, so will have to limit the amount I use for the time being. I want them to fire the 22, 22 mag, 45acp, 45lc, and 203 to get familiar with each weapon and the feel when they fire.
    Like you, I think that it won't be too much longer that prices will begin to decline as more ammo becomes available. Right now I see a trend of several of the vendors at gun shows, etc., going and buying as much as possible to keep prices up, but with most organizations now setting limits as to how much you can buy on each day, this will begin to cause the prices to fall to more reasonable levels. Walmart and the BX have a 3 box limit for each day and ammunition that is most often in short supply.

Cpmack, Randolf has ammo? They sell firearms too? Does Lackland also sell ammo?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Cpmack, Randolf has ammo? They sell firearms too? Does Lackland also sell ammo?

Randolph sells guns and ammo, but in my experience the prices aren't competitive however they do price match. I've heard folks using phone apps such as the ones SlickGuns has as evidence of lowest price; but remember it's limited to what they have for sale on hand.

Ammo only sells ammo, and only a small supply of it. It too is overpriced, you can find a better selection and price at Academy and sometimes Walmart.

Ft Sam has no guns or ammo.

Low151

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    SA
    But unless you can get them to price match, there's no smokin' deals to be had at any of the BXs/PXs I've been to across the country...
    I agree completely. I only look at them when items are on sale. They periodically have 10% off sales by caliber which makes their prices pretty competitive, but I doubt I will buy anything there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cpmack1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    San Antonio, Tx
    Randolf has a limited number of guns, about 20 or so rifles/shotguns ... they have two circular racks for rifles... and a fairly good assortment of caliber and brand names in semi auto pistols, but very few revolvers (Six shooters). I think there were only 4 or 5 revolvers as of last week. They may get more, but at the time and day I went it was fairly limited. Generally ammo of most calibers was available, but 22 and 22mag and 45acp were not available while I was there. They will price match for an exact item... and as said earlier... NO TAX. I noted that ammo prices vary in the BX depending a lot on brand name, type- ball vs hollow point, etc. I found some of the better ammo (named brands) to be a tad cheaper than most places I've seen and much cheaper than most online considering you also have to pay shipping, and tax on line.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, it’s just a few weeks out from the 31 May – 1 Jun Premier San Antonio Gun Show, so here’s everyone’s WARNORD so they can make plans to attend!

Breakfast will be at the usual location (Teran’s) at the usual time (8:00am) on the usual day (Saturday), see my first post for more details and directions.

I’m sure we’ll have another good crowd, I hope to see some new faces this time around! Please let me know if there are any questions!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just one more week until the Premier San Antonio Gun Show! I am really looking forward to it, and hope there’s another good crowd and lots of great stuff there!

See y'all at breakfast on Saturday!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom