• ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Executive Summary:

This little bit of data analysis appears to indicate that Californication is, in fact, a thing. It also appears that changes in the Texas political climate is being impacted by these migrants. While this isn't anywhere near strong enough of a case to show causation, what can be seen is positive correlation that where the refugees go, their politics follow them.

-------------------

Full length text

I keep going back to the question of 'how did Beto get so many votes?'. While there is a lot of anecdotal evidence in this thread; I have continuously hypothesized the negative impact due to domestic migration, primarily from California. It's one thing to be have an opinion, but it's something entirely different to see if there's any data that supports (or refutes) your opinion. With that in mind, I decide to do some research and data analysis.

First, let's start with facts. Since about 2005,over 8650,000 people relocated to Texas. Roughly half of those migrated from California, with a steady inflow of 60K+ per year from 2011 to 2015 alone. (Source, Published Feb 17, 2018; Accessed Nov 7, 2018)

Roughly 50% of those Californians wind up in Iron Triangle along I-10/I-45/I-35, primarily ending up in Travis, Williamson, Tarrant, Collin, Bexar, Ft Bend, and Harris counties.

Californication.png

Now, let's take a look at how those counties voted for Senator, first in the 2002 mid-terms, then again in the 2018 mid-terms, since both of those elections immediately followed a contentious presidential election; one pre-Californication, one post.

In the Red corner, you have Cornyn, and in the Blue you have Ron Kirk, who was somewhat popular at the time.

County R D
    Bexar 183K 128K
    Collin 88K 36K
    Dallas 217K 224K
    Fort Bend 49K 37K
    Harris 337K 294K
    Tarrant 195K 139K
    Williamson 47K 26K

SubTotal 1.16M (57%) 884K (43%) Source
    Statewide Total 2.49M (56%) 1.95M (44%) Source

Controlled for these counties, the race ends up being 1.33M (R - 63%)) to 1.06M (D - 44%) with a fairly representative vote across the state.

Yesterday's results for the same race:

County R D
    Bexar 216K 324K
    Collin 186K 164K
    Dallas 240K 478K
    Fort Bend 111K 141K
    Harris 495K 692K
    Tarrant 308K 312K
    Williamson 99K 105K

SubTotal 1.65M (43%) 2.21M (57%)
    Statewide Total 4.24M (51%) 4.01M (48%) Source

Controlled for the individual counties again, we see a tally of 2.59M (R - 59%) to 1.8M (D - 41%). We also see a completely different picture. Those counties serving essentially as resettlement zones flipped over a period of 16 years, while the rest of the state appears to have become more red.

This little bit of data analysis appears to indicate that Californication is, in fact, a thing. It also appears that changes in the Texas political climate is being impacted by these migrants. While this isn't anywhere near strong enough of a case to show causation, what can be seen is positive correlation that where the refugees go, their politics follow them.

And with that my friends, I rest my case.
    Target Sports

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've never been ashamed of being naive or optimistic.

I'm seeing that the voting citizenry indicated yesterday that they are fed up with a divided nation and welcome some bipartisan compromise. "Americans signaled Tuesday night they want a bipartisan Congress, not a polarized one."

We are not nearly so divided or polarized as the bilaterally biased media wants us to believe.

Most Dems and GOP voters agree on the fundamental issues.

The Dems have just won a hard-fought battle for the house and have been given enormous power.
    I hope and pray that they use it wisely.

Consider:

"America is now at a juncture: Will a divided Congress collapse into a vitriolic abyss of presidential House impeachment (and subsequent Senate acquittal), endless House Russia conspiracy theories, subpoenas and baseless investigations? Or will Democrats and Republicans work together to fight the opioid crisis, rein in our deficit and reform our education and criminal justice systems?
    If House Democrats choose the former, they will weary the American people and face a similar electoral outcome in 2020 to that of congressional Republicans in 2000 -- losses in both houses -- after they impeached President Bill Clinton. Americans signaled Tuesday night they want a bipartisan Congress, not a polarized one."

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I'm seeing that the voting citizenry indicated yesterday that they are fed up with a divided nation and welcome some bipartisan compromise.

We are not nearly so divided or polarized as the bilaterally biased media wants us to believe.

The Dems have just won a hard-fought battle for the house and have been given enormous power.

Not sure we watched the same election. But happy to hear your take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not sure we watched the same election. But happy to hear your take.

To reiterate:
    "Americans signaled Tuesday night they want a bipartisan Congress, not a polarized one."

The media divides us.
    Our principles and patriotism are quite united.

LBGTQ are one extreme.
    Gun owners (me) are another.
    Most Americans are somewhere between.

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Left wing.
    Right wing.
    Same bird.
    Americans, all.

So many revel in extremest division.
    We are one nation.

Please, we do not need a national crisis to prove me right.

g'nite.
    Packing up my new 6.5 CM Christensen MPR to shoot a hog on the way home from the university tomorrow.
    :)

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    To reiterate:
    "Americans signaled Tuesday night they want a bipartisan Congress, not a polarized one."

The media divides us.

LBGTQ are one extreme.

Source?

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX

I'm seeing that the voting citizenry indicated yesterday that they are fed up with a divided nation and welcome some bipartisan compromise. "Americans signaled Tuesday night they want a bipartisan Congress, not a polarized one."

Consider:

"America is now at a juncture: Will a divided Congress collapse into a vitriolic abyss of presidential House impeachment (and subsequent Senate acquittal), endless House Russia conspiracy theories, subpoenas and baseless investigations? Or will Democrats and Republicans work together to fight the opioid crisis, rein in our deficit and reform our education and criminal justice systems?
    If House Democrats choose the former, they will weary the American people and face a similar electoral outcome in 2020 to that of congressional Republicans in 2000 -- losses in both houses -- after they impeached President Bill Clinton. Americans signaled Tuesday night they want a bipartisan Congress, not a polarized one."
    Identity politics... many folks in the moderate middle that are registered as one of those 2 parties... there are also unafilliated/independent voters that are not.

Then there are places lost for one reason or another... Kolorado is now so blue I'll be surprised if they don't pass something similar to Washington's I-1639 by 2020.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Your SSN is not a secure photo ID.

You can’t have it both ways. If every state does it’s own thing you will not have secure voter ID.
    Well you are right, it is not a photo ID. Your SSN is not to be used for identifying purposes but we all know how it works.

I CAN have it both ways. A state ID is not a National ID. We require ID to board planes, buy guns, get booze, but when it comes to voting, well heck no, we can't ask for ID? I am pretty sure we can teach poll workers how to identify a valid State ID. Do you not think so?

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ... many folks in the moderate middle that are registered as one of those 2 parties....

Perhaps.
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/225056/americans-identification-independents-back-2017.aspx

Someone asked for a reference?
    The largest group of Americans identify as independents.

Voting straight-party is, to me, a flaw, though the majority of Americans do.
    Especially when it comes to judicial appointments that should be, in principle, non-partisan.
    The Dems I voted for were mostly the judicial races and attorney general etc. DC/USA....I vote pure GOP. Local races have fine Dem candidates.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    When I was in CO, I changed to unafilliated because the CO GOP was so incredibly incompetent I didn't want to be affiliated with their stupidity.

I know others who have done the same... so that's my take on the Gallup poll results.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To reiterate:

The media divides us.

LBGTQ are one extreme.

You just labeled 1/3 of the households in this country as an “extreme”. If 1/3 of the voting population is an extreme, I’d say we are pretty darn divided.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    In all the chaos last night I completely missed Romney was elected a Senator in Massachusetts. Sorry, scratch that, Utah. He pulled a hildebeast and moved to a different state to become a Senator. Also, I suspect, another RINO. Lose one in AZ, gain one in UT.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I had a twinge or respect for Romney till 2015 when he came out as a never Trumper
    Now hes just a rich jackass like Jeb Bush

Top Bottom