Hurley's Gold

308 rifles, real world accuracy? What you got?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What would your buddy Dave Ramsey have to say about that price range? ;-)

Ha, I know!

Well, that's the thing, I'm on a budget. So if I want even the SCAR at $2500 plus $750 or so for a scope, that's cool, just have to save for it.

Or I could buy something like the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, NOW!

Once I stopped living off of credit cards, money became much more real. Unfortunately when I was using credit cards...I was just buying gasoline, groceries, tires, the basics of life and NOT guns then. Argh!

I try to not do overkill and that's really easy to do in this pursuit which to some is a hobby. I don't need the best or the latest and greatest.

I'm leaning towards the Ruger GSR as it gives me iron sights (I want) and is mag fed (10 rounds isn't bad) but isn't semi-auto which seems to be where the big jump up in price comes in. I could have a Ruger and nice scope for the price of just the M1A alone.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No pics but my SA SOCOM II is a 2" gun with factory ammo, and my LMT MWS is sub MOA. I really do like my Ruger GSR as well...2" with a 2.75x Burris Scout scope.

I'm glad you mentioned these two specific guns as I am interested in both of them.

People really knock the SOCOM's accuracy, but 2" is pretty good to me. Glad to hear the Ruger GSR is 2" also. Again, 2" real world groups at 100 yards isn't bad at all to me although I need to think about what the realistic range drops too with 2" instead of 1" or less.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ... I need to think about what the realistic range drops too with 2" instead of 1" or less.

Agreed...if you're gonna be pushing 200+ yards and want moa or sub-moa, you need to be looking at other options besides the M1A and GSR. In semi-auto, you're talking LMT, KAC, GAP, etc. In a bolt gun, best bang for buck is gonna be Savage. A lot depends on intended purpose, but you already know that. :-)

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I have a LR 308 that I put some work into that gives me better accuracy then I can shoot it. On a good conditions day and when health is there even I can put sub MOA groups at 100yds.
    ujyvazys.jpg

It'll be at Hicksville.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My DPMS AR10 puts five shots in 1" easily. That is with a bipod and support hand for rear rest from a bench. It is a 16" medium weight barrel w/ brake and floated. They are handloads that I worked up for a Savage that I had. AR10 likes them so good enough. I am sure it could do better with a better shooter and more load developement.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I can't hit squat with the Steyr Scout. The Vector V51 doesn't even work. The Armalite AR-10T is about .7 MOA on a good day but has an aftermarket match trigger in it.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Agreed...if you're gonna be pushing 200+ yards and want moa or sub-moa, you need to be looking at other options besides the M1A and GSR. In semi-auto, you're talking LMT, KAC, GAP, etc. In a bolt gun, best bang for buck is gonna be Savage. A lot depends on intended purpose, but you already know that. :-)

I had a Savage 10 something or other that i let slip away without ever shooting. Perhaps i need to let go of the semi auto 308 idea and accept that a bolt action will do more of what i actually need and for less money.

I have a 1000 yard range near me. Shame to have that go unused.

Also in this thread i and from reading some articles tonight i see why people do care about tiny groups at 100, it gives the possibility for better accuracy and capability at long ranges.

Im going to have to hire a consultant on this decision.

For those of you that dont have multiple solutions in your safe, did you go from bolt to semi, semi to bolt or just stuck with one and havent looked back?

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Do you plan to reload? If not I wouldn't waste your money on a higher end gun as you wont be able to take advantage of the quality built into the rifle unless you just happen to get lucky with a factory load that shoots awesome. Id suggest getting one of the upper level factory rifles that come with a decent stock like the 5R line from Remington and the law enforcement series from savage. Both lines come with great stocks that IMO are perfect with the addition of a stock pack for perfect cheek weld. Many will run custom rifles with stocks that cost a grand+ and while theyre very nice, IMO theyre past the point of diminishing returns. My stockish 5R runs great with my handloads. I put a timney 517, bolt knob, triad stock pack and threaded the muzzle so I can use my can. It looks pretty good and shoots pretty good.
    2013-12-11213853_zpsfba221c9.jpg

20140104_164030_zpsaa6dnbxt.jpg

Shoots better than me at this point which isn't say much but on a good day will stack them on top of each other .137" group
    20131109_135033_zpsabeeba77.jpg

10 shot group shot fairly quick, one day I need to take my time and really see what it can do but its respectable
    20131028_185848_zpsb6791788.jpg

With that said I definitely plan to go 6.5 creedmoor before the end of the year. Its just such an awesome caliber and the factory hornady ammo for it shoots great.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    BC, do you plan to make a move before Hicksville?

As to the semi vs bolt question: I wanted a semi, then an idiot shot up a school and prices went crazy so I got a bolt gun.

I don't see myself switching to a semi at this point. I haven't found any reason to have a semi for my uses of hunting/target shooting. Can't afford to shoot that fast anyways, lol.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was just reading about the other really popular calibers for long range. Very interesting.

No i dont reload and dont plan on tying up a ton of money into a bolt action if i go that route.

I like the Savage guns. Had a 10FP back in college. Very accurate. I just didnt have a long range to use it on.

I really need to decide whats most important to me. Take an M1A with a nice big scope on it. Where will a nice bolt gun still be consistently on target and the M1A will have a hard time keeping up? 600 yards? 800?

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I went from bolt to semi but more just to change than anything else. I did always want an AR10 in .308 though. I will probably not buy another .308 bolt gun. There are too many better rounds to play with.

I have a buddy that was an Army sniper. He bought a REPR and an M25 Whitefeather (fancy M1a) and couldn't get either of them to shoot to his liking. I believe he had many issues including scope problems, ergonomics, bad ammo, and just plain frustration that my Savage outshot his many thousands of dollars worth of guns. He shot my Savage very well BTW. He ended up selling both of his guns and getting a custom built 700, Leupold scope, and reloading equipment. He is much happier now.

Sometimes it isn't about the gun.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    All depends on what you consider "keeping up". Also depends on if youre only going to punch paper or hunt with it as well.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    All depends on what you consider "keeping up". Also depends on if youre only going to punch paper or hunt with it as well.

I'm not a hunter. If I go hunting it would be deer or hogs around here and probably 200 yards or less. More likely less than 100 yards.

This is my "do everything" the 556 can't do rifle and my SHTF maximum stand off distance rifle.

Mostly I'd probably just use it on the range at Best of the West of course in contemporary reality.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    BC, do you plan to make a move before Hicksville?

As to the semi vs bolt question: I wanted a semi, then an idiot shot up a school and prices went crazy so I got a bolt gun.

I don't see myself switching to a semi at this point. I haven't found any reason to have a semi for my uses of hunting/target shooting. Can't afford to shoot that fast anyways, lol.

If I do show up at Hicksville with a 308 it will be a bolt gun but I probably won't buy even that between now and then. I've gotten better at taking my time (and driving you guys nuts) with buying lately. That way I'm not buying and selling at a loss 5 times before I find what I want.

I agree with the semi-auto/mag fed being too expensive to really shoot much. Heck I don't even like to shoot my 556 gun much, too expensive. Mostly I'm into shooting pistols in a defensive fashion.

So, got to be honest with myself, semi auto/mag fed is a want or need for me? Sounds like a want.

Ruger GSR FTW! Until I change my mind.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you make it to Hicksville you can probably test drive a few different ones. I'd be willing to donate a few rounds to your quest.

I think somebody had a Ruger scout rifle out there last time also.

Top Bottom