Target Sports

308 rifles, real world accuracy? What you got?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    You might consider the Nosler 125 ballistic tip. I have been very happy with them, and they are readily available, though a bit more expensive than the SSTs.

Theyre dang near twice the price of SSTs and have a much higher expansion threshold than them as well. I like the speer tnts better for my secondary bullet. Flat base bullets work better for the blackout in my experience. My main bullet these days is the 110 varmageddon since its cheap and very accurate out of my 9 and 16 inch guns.
    Hurley's Gold

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Anyone have any experience with the FN SPR A5M? Know a guy selling one that I'm looking at buying and reviews look favorable for a factory gun but curious for any firsthand experience.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So what do Savage and Remington offer differently from one another?

Remington has an advantage in aftermarket parts, but savage is gaining quickly.

Less aftermarket triggers with savage, but the Accutrigger is great for me. Don't see much reason to do a swap.

Barrel nut was mentioned. I wouldn't consider it a "multi caliber" rifle, but changing calibers or barrels down the line would be much easier than with a Remington.

Other than that your looking at minor details. You'd have to shoot both to see which you preferred.

Accuracy is gonna be about the same for either, the Accustock has an excellent bedding off the shelf, not sure if Remington offers anything similar.

That's about all I could say without getting in to opinion, I'm biased towards savage, others Remington.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Savage 10 FP SR (or RS) with 22" barrel at local shop. Used but doesn't look used. I need to start lighting up the bores when looking at guns.

It seems that Remington was the standard for a long time but Savage has a growing following.

This model is threaded and short enough to feel somewhat handy. I liked it.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Remington has the hs precision stock which is slightly nicer than the accustock IMO due to the nice palm swell the hs has. Other than that theyre about the same.

Savage 10 FP SR (or RS) with 22" barrel at local shop. Used but doesn't look used. I need to start lighting up the bores when looking at guns.

It seems that Remington was the standard for a long time but Savage has a growing following.

This model is threaded and short enough to feel somewhat handy. I liked it.
    Beware of factory threaded savages. If the threads arent concentric to the bore they will not do anything about it. Personally I'd rather have a local smith do my threading job as it will be much higher quality than any factory job. Thats if youre planning on hanging a can off the end, if not then its no nig deal.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Remington has the hs precision stock which is slightly nicer than the accustock IMO due to the nice palm swell the hs has. Other than that theyre about the same.

Beware of factory threaded savages. If the threads arent concentric to the bore they will not do anything about it. Personally I'd rather have a local smith do my threading job as it will be much higher quality than any factory job. Thats if youre planning on hanging a can off the end, if not then its no nig deal.

First ive heard that about the threads. Good to know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Same here. Researched mine quite a bit before buying and saw nothing indicating any problems.

Links?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Has anyone shot a Ruger American? It seems the other bolt rifles discussed here were mid to high end. American Rifleman recorded some decent accuracy with one.
    Any thoughts good or bad ?

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Has anyone shot a Ruger American? It seems the other bolt rifles discussed here were mid to high end. American Rifleman recorded some decent accuracy with one.
    Any thoughts good or bad ?

I wouldn't really call the Ruger American a precision gun and right now they're still so new that there really isn't much available to make them more of one. They're pretty accurate for a factory field gun but I would just classify them as such...a field gun.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Not sure why such a relatively new thread is archived but you get the picture
    Precision lost when using suppressor [Archive] - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Ive read of other instances of this, Remington seems to be a little better but regardless, Id rather have a smith who does much better work thread my barrels that Im going to have a $1000, 3 month wait piece of equipment hanging off of. I refuse to buy a savage threaded barrel since apparently even though they thread it so you can use the threads, if they screw up they wont do anything about it.

CcoTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2014
    I own a remington 700 pss 308 and at a 100 yards it will almost touch holes. At 200 yards im around a 1 inch group. Thats as far as ive gone but plan on taking it to a 1000

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

marktx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    league city tx
    Photo0058.jpg Here's what I got today. Rem. 700 SPS Tact. HS precision stock 44gr.RL15 168BergerVLD cci pri. Iwas getting good groups with bullet .010 of lands which puts me @ 3.040 OAL. so I decided to try OAL to fit Mag. being 2.820. suprised the heck out of me. Left is 2.820 and right is 3.040 which is ussualy good for .3or.4 3shots @100. Have to try the 2.820s again

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    View attachment 27412 Here's what I got today. Rem. 700 SPS Tact. HS precision stock 44gr.RL15 168BergerVLD cci pri. Iwas getting good groups with bullet .010 of lands which puts me @ 3.040 OAL. so I decided to try OAL to fit Mag. being 2.820. suprised the heck out of me. Left is 2.820 and right is 3.040 which is ussualy good for .3or.4 3shots @100. Have to try the 2.820s again
    Where did you shoot??

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i took my Ruger Scout to the range last week - it was really a distraction for me while i introduced a friend with no shooting experience to the range for the first time
    eae52f7f.jpg

so while he plinked around with my Rock River AR.....i put a few rounds down range with the Ruger Scout

not super super great - but not horrible either
    OOwlFsd.png

Top Bottom