Join TexasGunTalk

37 Years Clean & Sober! 5-16-18

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by ROGER4314, May 16, 2018.

1. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Today is a big day for me! On May 16, 1981, I used my last alcohol and other substance. 37 years clean and sober! It has not been easy, but the 12 step programs worked for me. Never "slipped" and the desire to do those things and live the life that goes with them were lifted off of my back.

The Higher Power did it all. I didn't have enough sense to do it alone and I'm very grateful! God willing, I'll make another year...........One day at a time!

Flash

2. RobertTheTexan

RobertTheTexan Active Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    Congrats amigo. Well done and good job recognizing that it easy just about “you”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Longhorn1986

Longhorn1986 Active Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    Well done! Been a bit over eight years myself.

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Congratulations Roger!

5. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    Good job Roger and Longhorn.

6. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Good on you guys for the strength it took to take those steps in life.

Bvhawk likes this.
  7. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Congratulations on you stamina and resolve!

8. ROGER4314

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks for the kind words!

Friend Bonnie is coming over today so we can experiment with my new "Air Fryer". We don't have a clue how to work the thing, but I bought 5 pounds of chicken wings, fries, tater tots and onion rings, so by the end of the day, we should have it figured it out!

Jake the Wonder Dog will be thrilled to see his Momma, I completed work on several rifles including a .458 Socom AR last night. I'm healthy, retirement is great and I'm happier than I've ever been!

I thank God for giving me this happy time at the sunset of my life!

Flash

308nato, TX OMFS, jimbo and 3 others like this.
  9. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Keep the sword in sheath TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    I have a brother in the same boat. Good dude... but the sauce makes him crazy. He was an RN. Good job.. Good life.. After his 4th DUI and crashing his car and getting in a fight with local PD. He wen't to prison. The family did all we could to get him out of there in 6months. He lost his RN license.

He's been sober for awhile now. He married himself a good woman and she helps him stay straight. He came out to visit awhile ago. We we're up late catching up on life. During the deep conversation... he told me the thing that scares him the most about life is slipping and taking another drink. It was quite profound to me because I didn't understand the "alcoholic". So I spent the next couple of days listening to AA meetings on youtube, trying to understand what he was going through. People don't understand the "alcoholic" and they use the term loosely. Alcoholics CAN NOT drink and if they do... they sacrifice everything they have in life for it.

Can't tell you enough how proud and the respect I have of him. I have the upmost respect for ANYONE that can recognize and admit their vises and the fight they put up everyday to stay sober.

Congratulations Roger4314. Keep up the good fight man!

deemus likes this.
  10. ROGER4314

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Human Beings aren't geared for absolutes like NEVER. Most people have yes, no and maybe as options but program people must deal with "I can NEVER do that again!"

You don't just quit using chemical substances. Your complete lifestyle, attitude, relationship with other people and with a Higher Power must change. It's not an easy path to walk!

Flash

308nato, subseashooter, jimbo and 2 others like this.