• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't think the subject is black and white. There is a lot of gray... I think its different on each individual and how bad the substance has them by the huevos. I watched my brother go through with it. He tried cold turkey (his resolve). He flipped out. The night he broke down, he told me he couldn't breath. He was hearing voices in his head. There we're people outside his house trying to get inside and kill him. He said there were little girls riding tricycles around his house and they were laughing and the squeaking of their wheels were blasting in his ear... He was hallucinating & he thought he was having a heart attack.

Alcohol RULED his life. He HAD to have it to function. On an everyday basis. There had to be an percentage in his bloodstream to be normal 24/7. He was powerless to it.

I believe he is with us and sober today because of
    1) spiritual intervention
    2) him admitting he was an alcoholic
    3) medical help
    4) support group

But I can tell ya this. He received a massive amount of resolve after he sat in prison for 6months. He told me "I don't care what happens... I will never step foot in that place again".
    Of course it affects people differently, and for many it takes them to hit rock bottom. The resolve is when they realize that they must quit, and that can come from what they feel they can't lose. For some it's life itself.
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In 37 years of being clean & sober, I've heard a lot of stories and this thread provided a few more. Thanks to all of you who shared what they've seen or experienced!

Alcohol/Chemical abuse are "cunning and baffling diseases" and my own story is probably more baffling than most. That's why I say that my Higher Power guided me through it. I did NOT have the sense to do that myself and it took me years to grasp how F'ed up I was. When you're so F'ed up that you don't even KNOW how F'd up you are, you're truly screwed!

Am I going to claim credit for re-engineering my life? Hell, no! I didn't have the sense to blow my nose!

I heard an AA tape that said it best:

If you THINK you understand these cunning and baffling diseases, then you don't know.

If you think you don't have a clue about the disease, then you know.

If you think you know, then you don't know!

If you think that you don't know, then you know!

That is the nature of the "cunning and baffling" disease.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Relative to the air fryer, do you still use your Puck on a regular basis?

Sorry I missed this earlier. I used the Puck oven so much that the latch/seal broke. It was within the 12 month Kohl warranty, so I took it back and got another Puck oven.

The second oven crapped just before the warranty expired at Kohls and they said that if I had my receipt, they would REFUND my money. The circuitry "popped" and it was a goner, so I got a refund check from Kohls.

The ovens were NOT available at any source I investigated, so I gave up on the Pucker.

Instead, I got an Oster large size counter oven and I've been using the heck out of it! It takes longer to cook and I must say that the Puck oven really does what they say it will do. There is a big difference in cooking time.

My food in the Oster oven takes about 50% longer to cook the same foods that I always cook, but the roasted goods are deluxe! I use a Taylor temperature probe (Walmart $14) to check for "done" and it sets off an alarm when the internal temp of the chicken gets to 181 degrees. By experimentation, that's where there's no red left by the bone. Don't let the probe touch the bone or the reading is way off.

Yes, the Puck bit the dust. Whatever happened to their marketing system is unclear but boy, Puck really hit the ditch!

Flash

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Yes, the Puck bit the dust. Whatever happened to their marketing system is unclear but boy, Puck really hit the ditch!

Flash

Sorry to hear that.
    I'm still using mine when I'm not here in Arkansas fishing.
    Been using my Anova Sous Vide mostly here.
    Gotta admit the Puck has it beat for convenience, and for perfect chicken parts.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I know people that have quit smoking cold turkey with no outside help.

I know people that have quit drugs with no outside help.

I figure it was their resolve that aided in that, no?

Your example is one of the usual offered, it is not the same nor does it compare.
    as I previously wrote, a person with a normally functioning self will can do this, an alcoholic suffering from the disease of addiction will not have the capacity.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Your example is one of the usual offered, it is not the same nor does it compare.
    as I previously wrote, a person with a normally functioning self will can do this, an alcoholic suffering from the disease of addiction will not have the capacity.
    How is alcohol addiction different (and so much worse) than any other addiction?

I would think drug addiction would rate right up there or be worse. The hard stuff anyways.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    No addiction is good, and in many ways they are alike. I have talked with people of both addictions, and although I do know how I was affected, the drug addicts certainly didn't look to have it any easier.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    How is alcohol addiction different (and so much worse) than any other addiction?

I would think drug addiction would rate right up there or be worse. The hard stuff anyways.
    nowhere was this stated.

The disease of addiction is the same regardless of the substance abuse involved with the same underlying causes, and the same recovery principles.
    Hence why 12 step recovery principles originally developed by the AA founders have been applied to various other drugs or substance abuse. you will find NA (Narcotics anonymous)
    GA (Gamblers Anonymous), etc, listed among recovery groups.

What I specifically stated, and seems to have been overlooked twice now, is the difference between non addictive people and those suffering from the disease of addiction and the underlying causes of that.
    Hence why I specifically stated in a previous post the difference between the two and why the usual examples given such as "I know so & so who quit on thier own" or "I've seen people quit such and such" do not compare because were those examples genuine. They would not happen as stated within the genuine disease of addiction owing to the causes of addiction and the state of existence it creates within the individual.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    nowhere was this stated.

The disease of addiction is the same regardless of the substance abuse involved with the same underlying causes, and the same recovery principles.
    Hence why 12 step recovery principles originally developed by the AA founders have been applied to various other drugs or substance abuse. you will find NA (Narcotics anonymous)
    GA (Gamblers Anonymous), etc, listed among recovery groups.

What I specifically stated, and seems to have been overlooked twice now, is the difference between non addictive people and those suffering from the disease of addiction and the underlying causes of that.
    Hence why I specifically stated in a previous post the difference between the two and why the usual examples given such as "I know so & so who quit on thier own" or "I've seen people quit such and such" do not compare because were those examples genuine. They would not happen as stated within the genuine disease of addiction owing to the causes of addiction and the state of existence it creates within the individual.
    Ah, got it. Don't agree but got it.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Congratulations on being sober for 37 years! That is great!

I was addicted to cigarettes for 35 years. At least 25 of those years I smoked 2 packs a day. 1 day I decided that I no longer wanted to smoke so I quit. As simple as that I just quit. There was no programs, higher powers, medications or anything other than my desire to be a non-smoker.

I have had people tell me that they are going to try to quit smoking and I told them that they shouldn't put themselves through the stress of trying to quit. And then I explain to them that the reason people fail when trying to quit an addiction is because they "try" to quit. When a person says that they are trying to quit they are giving themselves an out, because it is okay to fail if you are only trying. The only way to quit an addiction is to decide you ARE going to quit.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Just for clarification, there are non-addictive people who are addicts, and there are addictive people who are addicts, is this what you are stating?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's a mistake to try to "think" through addiction. The addicted person is a lost soul who doesn't have the ability to figure it out.

Those who simply quit their substance of choice don't have what it takes to stay clean & sober as they are sick physically, morally, spiritually and socially. They need to get right with God, their families, society, their own bodies and begin to live in healthy ways. That's my 2 cents.

Sure, I've heard the stories about "I just quit doing.........." It's a cunning and baffling disease and even after these many years, I don't have the answers. I have a map that keeps me clean & sober if I follow it.

Texans will get this:
    Addiction is like driving south on I-45. Sooner or later, you'll end up in the Gulf of Mexico. You may die before you get there, but that crap is going work tirelessly to kill you.

My neighbor who drinks to blackout regularly, thinks his big belly is all about eating well. His swollen liver is probably going to have something to say about his drinking ............sooner or later

"If you think you know........then you don't know!"

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have a neighbor around the corner down the street. Rides a motorcycle most the time. His son joined the army and chain migration later. He works for the city doing something.

Every now and then he'll stop by when we're hanging out in the front yard. Let's premise this. His bike has junk tires, crappy carburetor.

His choice of poison is a plastic flask bottle of vodka. As soon as he stops by and offers everyone a swig. I take a fake swallow. Then he'll turn the bottle up. I've seen the man pass out still standing up. He's passed out drink and continues to balance on his legs. Sight to see.

Some days I think I should do the explaining thing. Tell him it's bad. Not good for him. Then again he's a grown man that knows that. It's cheap vodka too. Maybe one Ill preach to him about neglecting his free will. Maybe not.

If you ever saw the tires he rolls on. Absolutely junk and he'll cruise 70mph like they're new.

Oh well. We all live our life with chances.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    An alcoholic has to know they are an alcoholic and that it has become a problem. Until an alcoholic comes to this realization it would be very hard to convince them otherwise. There is a multitude of excuses for an alcoholic to drink, the biggest one, deniability.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Those who simply quit their substance of choice don't have what it takes to stay clean & sober as they are sick physically, morally, spiritually and socially. They need to get right with God, their families, society, their own bodies and begin to live in healthy ways. That's my 2 cents.

Flash

I have not smoked now for 15 years so apparently I do have what it takes. And I am not sick physically, morally, spiritually nor socially. I have absolutely no desire to smoke, even when I am around people that are smoking.

Once I decided that I wanted to quit I just did it. I know that there are people who think that they can't quit without some sort of 'help' and as long as they think that they are doomed to to struggle with their addiction.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have not smoked now for 15 years so apparently I do have what it takes. And I am not sick physically, morally, spiritually nor socially. I have absolutely no desire to smoke, even when I am around people that are smoking.

Once I decided that I wanted to quit I just did it. I know that there are people who think that they can't quit without some sort of 'help' and as long as they think that they are doomed to to struggle with their addiction.
    As I said before, addictions affect people differently. You can't base all addiction on your own experience.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    As I said before, addictions affect people differently. You can't base all addiction on your own experience.

I don't think that people are affected differently, they just handle addiction differently. People have been convinced by drug companies, doctors and others that they need 'help' to quit. And those that believe that are doomed to struggle with their addiction.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't think that people are affected differently, they just handle addiction differently. People have been convinced by drug companies, doctors and others that they need 'help' to quit. And those that believe that are doomed to struggle with their addiction.
    I think you are a bit misguided, I hope you aren't thinking about counselling.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom