• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Got a crew cab Diesel Ram, with a 100 gallon transfer tank in the back, and suspension upgrades to haul heavy trailers cross country. If it werent for 4WD, i would have been stuck twice last week. I has to use my Bobcat to pull a 2wd dually out of the mud that same day..
    Target Sports

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I drive a Lincoln Navigator with AWD (full time) / 4H / 4L . I love this SUV. First and foremost is that I fit. My tall body and big feet have no problem driving all day in the comfy seat and extending the controls. It has heated/AC in the seats and in the summer time makes a huge difference. 10,000 lbs towing capacity and I have towed everything with it as well as pulled other people out of ditches. We load the thing up with lanscaping materials, lumber, 4x8 shhets of plywood slide in with ease and I can load up 7 people and go out on the town. I also have a big top carrier I can bolt to the rack that I have used on several trip to haul luggage. Both of our big dogs ride with me everywhere and when I throw dog pillows in the back they climb back there and take a nap lol. Not the best mileage at 13mpg average with mixed driving but if I drive the highway all day is will get 15mpg. Its amazing how well you plan your trips when you own a vehicle that doesn't great gas mileage. It keeps you from wasting so much time behind the wheel and increasing your chances of getting plowed into by a Tard. It also cuts down on the use of consumables which any car will eat up if you rack up the miles. It has 8 airbags with side curtain airbags and I believe the vehicle to be plenty safe. I even installed front and rear full bullbars for a little extra protection and installed 55w PIAA's for extra light on back roads. When the weather is bad she takes right off with little wheel spin while others are slipping around with their pegleg'd one tire fire.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I've owned several 4WDs and other vehicles that have had air bags and I've never used them.

This thread has got me to thinking ...

Street Wolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Wichita Falls
    No, it doesn't snow in Texas. Ever....

02_09_2011_3_BW.png

Feb_01_2011_5.png

Last edited:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Got a crew cab Diesel Ram, with a 100 gallon transfer tank in the back, and suspension upgrades to haul heavy trailers cross country. If it werent for 4WD, i would have been stuck twice last week. I has to use my Bobcat to pull a 2wd dually out of the mud that same day..

Duallys are bad enough as it is offroad due to the weight but a 2WD dually? Purely meant for hauling heavy loads on the pavement. I would never make that investment.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Back in the day I worked at this project management company. Buncha engineers/rednecks and coonasses. Basically bows and rifles leaning against file cabinets type of place.
    Anyway several of those guys had big 4x4 diesels and ranches.

Anyway at one point the owner sold out to a buncha Brits with their Mercedes and beamers. Big culture clash. One of the expats were being a little loud about his disdain for trucks and the stupid rednecks and their boots. Now keep on mind this joker was driving something like a c320 Mercedes.

Finally one of those guys spit out his snuff and told the guy my boots cost 800 dollars And my paid off truck was 65,000 tell me how much your loafers and Mercedes cost.

We never saw that sorry sack of pretentious crap again...

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Back in the day I worked at this project management company. Buncha engineers/rednecks and coonasses. Basically bows and rifles leaning against file cabinets type of place.
    Anyway several of those guys had big 4x4 diesels and ranches.

Anyway at one point the owner sold out to a buncha Brits with their Mercedes and beamers. Big culture clash. One of the expats were being a little loud about his disdain for trucks and the stupid rednecks and their boots. Now keep on mind this joker was driving something like a c320 Mercedes.

Finally one of those guys spit out his snuff and told the guy my boots cost 800 dollars And my paid off truck was 65,000 tell me how much your loafers and Mercedes cost.

We never saw that sorry sack of pretentious crap again...

That's funny right there. Those type of people think we rednecks are cheap and can't pay for expensive things. Newsflash: good farm equipment and construction equipment costs hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. We just have a different taste in our assets.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    That's funny right there. Those type of people think we rednecks are cheap and can't pay for expensive things. Newsflash: good farm equipment and construction equipment costs hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. We just have a different taste in our assets.

I got into it once with a Brit who started bad-mouthing farmers and ranchers and talking about how poor we must be and that we should find a "real profession" like banking. I showed him a picture of our 2 cotton pickers and explained to him that each of them cost more than a Ferrari and that (at the time) we had a fleet of 5 helicopters for aerial spraying. He turned red and stumbled over his words to get out an apology.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sounds like a research paper titled Texas' Big Truck Culture. Good luck!

Sounds more like trolling. Why would anyone post such a topic on Texas Gun Talk? Who has the right to tell people what they can and cannot drive?

Complaining about what other people drive? Sounds like an immature individual craving attention...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You carry a gun and pray you never need it.

I have 4wd and hope I never need it.

OK?

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    I carry and hope i never gave to use it. When i had a 4wd didn't use it much. But when you need it you need it
    I don't care what you drive. We all make decisions based in our needs wants and wallet.
    I couldn't drive a small car, don't fit in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    The turkey farm, hunting lease, Joe Lee and the river would certainly be more interesting without 4WD.

ETA: but I also have a bike that sees significant track time, so I don't know much about having "luxuries" and not using them. If I own it, it gets used — even if I have to go out of my way to find an excuse to use it.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Been thinking about this some more. Considering various replies. I've come up with several thoughts.

First, we spend money on things we need and things want. That's the purpose of money. It's a tool to get through life at the level we prefer. We won't apologize to anybody for it either.

Second, I get the feeling that BC is looking down on folks for spending money, period. Just a wiff I caught as I read over some replies of his position. As if there is some moral value placed on what is bought or not bought. As if a sacrifice is being made and it deserves, no demands to be recognized. Sorry man. I don't fall for the martyr bit. As if the more suffering you do through only buying needs is somehow better than those who buy needs & wants? Pssh, please. It's your choice to live like you do. And if not buying "luxuries" makes you angry, buy luxuries. Only you are holding yourself back. You don't get to lash out at others who buy things and are happy.

Third, buying luxuries and what makes people happy doesn't equal bad, unprepared or financial fault. I caught a hint of "you buy these things therefore you are in debt, have no money, no savings, no plan, no prep and will be screwed". Well, in the event of what? TEOTWAWKI? Retirement? Natural disaster? Zombies? Job loss? Death? Everyday budget? There are folks that go into debt buying things they can't afford in all income brackets. However there are people who afford wants, needs and live just fine financially too.

Anyway, BC, you talked about the deeper psychology. The things above are what I gleamed from the discussion. I don't think this thread was just about 4wd trucks, but they were an immediate material example because you don't prefer trucks anyway.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My bike is a necessity. With out it, how could I go out and ride to a random place that I don't need to go just so I can turn around an ride back.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't know how many times I have seen new lifted 4 wheelers, & wondered if they ever had been, or will be, driven off road for any reason other than an emergency...

Top Bottom